• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Anyone watching the Olympics??

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
107 degrees, today. Enjoying watching the Olympics. Keeps us inside, where it's cool. Yesterday and this morning, have been watching archery. That one blonde Russian lady archer could play linebacker on most college football teams. She doesn't need a bow. She looks like she could kick the snot out of most anyone she didn't take a liking to.

The Olympics is the only time we're exposed to some really unque sports. I have a daughter and daughter-in-law who are both complaining their daily soap opera is pre-empted for a couple weeks. Get over it!! You can watch those crazy soaps for all except 2 weeks every 4 years and you're complaining????

One of the guys at the course, this morning, was saying he didn't watch the Olympics because they are "too political". Give these kids some credit. They're living a dream. The politics is behind the scenes, away from the young men and young ladies who are playing their hearts out in the sports in which they excell.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Tried to care for a few minutes, but there are enough international competitions nowadays to where the Olympics just don't matter. There's a reason that 90% of this crap is obscure and not televised-- it's the most boring garbage on TV. Swimming... Yawn. Archery? Yawn. Just don't care.

The good sports are a joke. Basketball is so one sided that it isn't even worth watching. Fortunately the NBA is highly international. The Olympics are really not necessary anymore. Same thing with golf-- will not give a **** if it ends up in the Olympics. It is a very international game already. Tennis? What's the difference?

If people like it, great. But I could not care less.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Tried to care for a few minutes, but there are enough international competitions nowadays to where the Olympics just don't matter. There's a reason that 90% of this crap is obscure and not televised-- it's the most boring garbage on TV. Swimming... Yawn. Archery? Yawn. Just don't care.

The good sports are a joke. Basketball is so one sided that it isn't even worth watching. Fortunately the NBA is highly international. The Olympics are really not necessary anymore. Same thing with golf-- will not give a **** if it ends up in the Olympics. It is a very international game already. Tennis? What's the difference?

If people like it, great. But I could not care less.

I started to reply to this thread to say essentially the same thing, just didn't bother.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
I dig the Olympics (Summer and Winter) and watch all I can.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I think we've just reached a point of global integration to where this entire thing is unnecessary, and the false "patriotism" just serves to exaggerate the prejudice and widen the distance between countries. We're American, theyre Australia , but we're all humans. Cheering for someone, or heckling someone, because of what country they were born in seems unfair and baseless.

Frankly, I don't want anyone thinking that Michael Phelps is a representation of anyone or anything besides Michael Phelps. He's a good swimmer, but seems like a class A moron to me.

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I think we've just reached a point of global integration to where this entire thing is unnecessary, and the false "patriotism" just serves to exaggerate the prejudice and widen the distance between countries. We're American, theyre Australia , but we're all humans. Cheering for someone, or heckling someone, because of what country they were born in seems unfair and baseless.

Frankly, I don't want anyone thinking that Michael Phelps is a representation of anyone or anything besides Michael Phelps. He's a good swimmer, but seems like a class A moron to me.
Really disappointed in Phelps. Natural talent. Made history. Went on the Letterman show and got a few more accolades. Went to his head... along with pot and who knows what else. Didn't have the motivation to practice/train for this year's events. Shoulda given up his spot for someone who actually cared. Seems like he's still a "mama's boy" and she is calling the shots. She's got a meal ticket and that's all she cares about. He has stated this is his last Olympics. I hope so. His mother says she will insist he make the Rio team in 2016. Sheesh, what a tool.....

OTOH, you have the lady skeet shooter. Hit 99 of 100 targets. Wow! Been at previous Olympics. When asked what has changed, she says she's now a homemaker. Says there will be laundry and dishes to do when she gets home. She's a pretty "down home" lady.

Kumabjorn

Oct 30, 2009
Great opportunity to watch some sports you never have the chance to see, but NBC has bungled it.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
I have the whole coverage on DirecTV, and I love the Olympics with all my heart. As some have said, you get the opportunity to watch some sports you never have the chance to do so. I was a MArtial Artist for most of my life, and having the opportunity to watch first class Judo or Tae-Kwon-Do is amazing. I love the swimming competitions and I find fencing to be awesome as well. Beach and Indoor Volleyball, as pretty interesting as well. I had the opportunity to attend the Sydney 2000 Olympics, and the environment around the whole competition was just unbelievable.

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Watched the lady's weight lifting today. Wow! Some pretty husky young ladies! They showed a close up of the face of one while she was struggling to stand with the weight up. I swear she had a mustache that would make Bat Masterson proud.

Kumabjorn

Oct 30, 2009
I have a whole long litany about sexual ambivalence I want to post here but I'd get thrown out of the forum.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I could watch Missy Franklin all day... breath of fresh air. Seems like a great kid... and her parents are from Halifax

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I was watching the volleyball today & have become a big fan. Much better than beach volleyball. Very quick. Very spectacular. Can't wait to see the final.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I watch women's beach volleyball if it's on.

Otherwise, the summer Olympics just aren't my thing. The winter Olympics i pay a little more attention to.

🔥 Latest posts