• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Are equipment prices higher in the UK?

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I was browsing and found myself on a site for a retailer in Edinburgh Scotland.

I checked a few items and the prices seemed to be pretty high to me. I used a 2x exchange rate.

ProV1's which sell in the US for $44 USD - sold for $62USD in Scotland.

My Ogio Grom II bag which I paid $145 USD for here - sold for $200 USD over there....

Are the prices that much higher there and if so - why?

The master

Oct 24, 2004
Prices are higher here for alomst any product.

Though people say why don't we just order over the net well I have foolishly made the mistake before buying of pgatour.com, I went to buy a grip kit severa; months ago at $36 I think including grips methalated spirits and tape, then to my surprise deleivery was $19 which I realsied after ording so I thoguht it will still work out roughly the smae price no damage done so 14 days ;ater it arrives at the door little to my surprise having to pay $18 in duty fees, so that's why it is not cheaper of the net.

I don't actually know why prices are dearer but we don't add on vat maybe tproducts aren't as much higher than you think.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
A friend of mine took 3 friend out for coffee and muffins in London when he was there. He said it cost the better part of 40USD. Sure, it was probably a designer coffee house, but cripes, 40 bucks?

Thanks, but no thanks.

I'd rather take that money and shoot two 75's.

R35

The master

Oct 24, 2004
Yes London is proabaly the mopst expensive place in the UK by a long way, living costs are of the richter a standard 2 bed flat would be about £250,000, that's why jobs pay very high there and I guess that things in general are just more expensive there.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Well I can see how coffee at a trendy place in one of the world's largest cities might be expensive. Its the "sophistication charge"...

Every time I go to NYC I am reminded of this (although if you know where to go there you can get some superb food for decent prices).

I just cannot understand how the equipment manufacturers can get away with charging a large premium in a very large market like the UK. Large demand for equipment year round and you upcharge like this??

Shipping costs?!?!?!

I mean if you put 25,000 drivers in a container and ship it from California to the UK - it ain't gonna add 40% to the cost of the product....

I think they are raping their UK customers - or colluding on prices.

The master

Oct 24, 2004
:p I mean that any products that I have bought form states have higheposting costage like ebay costs $30 to deleiver a club form usa, just getting a little OT.

I don't really care about the prices I usually get discount and know how much everything is at shop cost price as working in the pro shop.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Bravo said:
I think they are raping their UK customers - or colluding on prices.

I saw a program about a month ago stating that the UK is the world's leader for purchasing sex toys.

Basically, it worked out to 2 of every 3 people would have a sex toy. 66%, that seems crazy. Now, i know that many people would have multiples, making that number slanted.

For comparison, the US was 1 in 28.

But they cost 40% less. You know, shipping costs to the UK and all.

Hey Master, I'll sell you a dildo for 25 quid. That's a savings of almost 10 pound! ;)

R35

690.CB

Feb 26, 2005
Everything is more expensive here. For example to fill my car up with petrol, or gas as you call it costs me £35, which is around $60 I think. What does it cost you guys to fill your tank? $20 I would think. And your cars have far bigger engines.

Levi jeans are £50+ here so err around $100, I bought 2 pairs for $40 while I was in Florida 6 weeks ago.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
You are right.

Filling up my tank (16 US gallons) is $30 USD or 15 British Pounds. And the jeans would cost around $20-$25.

I don't understand this. Is there some sort of tariff imposed on foreign goods that drives up the prices?

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
690.CB said:
Everything is more expensive here. For example to fill my car up with petrol, or gas as you call it costs me £35, which is around $60 I think. What does it cost you guys to fill your tank? $20 I would think. And your cars have far bigger engines.

Levi jeans are £50+ here so err around $100, I bought 2 pairs for $40 while I was in Florida 6 weeks ago.

I've always heard that your taxes are also higher, is that true as well.

Our gas is running around $1.75 a gallon right now so around $30 is average.

🔥 Latest posts