• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Are more pros wearing skirts and skorts?

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
May the ghost of Payne Stewart push all your putts offline...

BuckeyeGin

Feb 10, 2009
Wow....didn't know there was such a dislike to jeans on the course....what does it matter???

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
I think that the thing that separates golf from every other sport is the respect that the pros have for the elders in the game, and the pride that they take in their appearance. So along these lines jeans on the course scream I don't take this game seriously. No matter how good you are. I don't give two $hits if you can shoot 7 under every time you play if you show up in jeans I will find someone else to play with. I think it is a sad thing that you can not take pride enough in how you look when you play this game to put on a pair of khakis or dress shorts when you play (I would also extend my distaste to cargo shorts). Maybe it is just because I grew up playing in events with a dress code, and a family that wouldn't let you within a mile of the first tee without proper attire, but I can not stand it when people are not in appropriate dress for playing golf. I have actually stopped playing at courses because they did not have a dress policy. Sorry to rant and I know that it shouldn't matter, but it is a point of pride to me to show up and have respect for the sport not just in the way you play the game but the way you look while doing it.

riverc0il

Sep 13, 2008
There is a considerable difference in the talent level of people that dress "appropriately" for the course. At least around here. You see a guy wearing jeans, you know for a fact he's never cleaned his grooves in the last 15 years and will duck hook two off the first tee, guaranteed.
Hog wash. I paired with a pair of golfers who were wearing jeans. We played nine only but they could not have been more than 4-5 over par. People can actually enjoy this game without taking its culture to heart. When I realized that simple fact, I actually took up golf myself after years of swearing it off due to what I thought it was all about.

I won't wear jeans on the course simply because jeans are not comfortable when you are engaging in an athletic pursuit. But to dismiss someone's ability because of what they wear is making a gross over generalization.

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
Although my course does not allow jeans for men or women and requires that all shirts have a collar (mocks are ok), I have played with some very good players who wore something that I would choose not to on the course.

I always wear slacks when playing or on the range, although the PGA did relax some of their requirements when it comes to having to wear pants when working, I just feel more comfortable in long pants.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
I think that the thing that separates golf from every other sport is the respect that the pros have for the elders in the game, and the pride that they take in their appearance. So along these lines jeans on the course scream I don't take this game seriously. No matter how good you are. I don't give two $hits if you can shoot 7 under every time you play if you show up in jeans I will find someone else to play with. I think it is a sad thing that you can not take pride enough in how you look when you play this game to put on a pair of khakis or dress shorts when you play (I would also extend my distaste to cargo shorts). Maybe it is just because I grew up playing in events with a dress code, and a family that wouldn't let you within a mile of the first tee without proper attire, but I can not stand it when people are not in appropriate dress for playing golf. I have actually stopped playing at courses because they did not have a dress policy. Sorry to rant and I know that it shouldn't matter, but it is a point of pride to me to show up and have respect for the sport not just in the way you play the game but the way you look while doing it.

This cracks me up. In events or tourneys I wear slacks unless its crazy hot, then golf shorts (no cargo pockets) will suffice. Otherwise it's basketball shorts or jeans for me. Usually don't wear golf shoes either. Guess we'll never be playing together, as I don't take golf seriously enough.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
The only time I wear jeans is when it's too cold to wear shorts. Jeans keep you warm and that's my reason. I wear slacks often golfing in league after work unless it's going to be super hot. Then I'll change into shorts before I go. I've got to replace my shorts with the cargo pockets though so Sling doesn't make fun of me this year... :D

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country

Wow, i wish i were so 'prideful' that i could write people off as disrepsectful because of their choice in attire. I wish i had so many friends that i could just look down on everyone because they are not to my standards...

Its people like you that i choose to play the goat-tracks where people are nice and neighborly.....even if they are wearing slippers and sweatpants...

No, i'm not very good, and yes i do have the utmost respect for the game, my elders, and my playing partners no matter what they chose to wear that day. A kind of unaltering respect you obviously do not have to your fellow man.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
My course requires you to wear collared shirts... but that's where the dress code ends.

That being said.. I don't have a problem with jeans or jean shorts. Long as you wear them tactfully what difference does it make? Every now and then I'll wear one of the 2 to the course, laundry day or whatever the case might be... but most of the time it's pants or some sort of dress shorts.

The only thing that really bothers me is when people wear their collared shirt... with gym shorts or some sort of sweat pants. And not that it really affects me one way or another.. I just think they look F'ing stupid! Not that I'm some fashion guru... but my wife wouldn't step out of the house if I looked like that.

To me it's all about presentation, rather than material. I'd much rather see someone that has a nice collared shirt, tucked in to jean shorts, belt that matched the color of the golf shoes(in the case of black/brown), decent socks, coordinated hat or hair fixed under a visor, than to see someone with old ass dress shorts, a collared shirt that looks like it's been sold at 12 different garage sales, untucked, tennis shoes with mis-matched socks any day.

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
In the spirit of this thread's title, everyone should be required to wear a skirt or a skort on the course. I'll even relent and allow the occasional kilt, so long as it's worn commando.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
In the spirit of this thread's title, everyone should be required to wear a skirt or a skort on the course. I'll even relent and allow the occasional kilt, so long as it's worn commando.

We'll make a deal with you Claire, you come to Tn. next month in a skirt, and we'll wear Kilts, commando, :laugh:

Then you'll know how happy we are to see ya, :wow:

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
We'll make a deal with you Claire, you come to Tn. next month in a skirt, and we'll wear Kilts, commando, :laugh:

Then you'll know how happy we are to see ya, :wow:

I dont have a kilt....i guess i'm golfing naked....

Ever seen a helicopter land on a golf course? :biglol:

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.