• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Are you suppose to tip the pro after a lesson?

vr4nothing

Jan 10, 2009
I'm new to golf and I know that basically everyone gets tipped, but is it customary to tip the pro after paying for a lesson? I don't want to not tip after my first lesson and look like a jackass!

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
No. The only way I'd consider if it was at a private club and the fee for the lesson was just added to your bill. Besides, I don't know about you but the guy I saw gets 50/half 80/hour, that's a heck of a lot more than I make.
icon12.gif

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Nah... you've already paid him once. For the most part it's not like you're paying the course/club for a lesson... you are paying him directly and it's part of his/her income. So I'd say no, no tip... unless you just really wanted to.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I wouldn't tip.

Caddies- yes, cart girl- yes, usually.. Server at the clubhouse- yes.

Pro giving me a lessono after I chalked up $70 bucks.

Nahh... Maybe buy him a beer if we were shootin' the crap afterwards.

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
No--he's either self-employed or at a club with (hopefully) a no-tipping policy.

That said, I have acknowledged special favors with a good bottle of wine, or a set of golf clubs. Really--my favorite pro had a daughter a couple of years younger than mine, and so we pass on the clubs as she outgrows them.

Manavs

Bodybuilding Golf Pro
Dec 19, 2008
It's not customary to tip a pro, nor expected so dont worry.

the times i have been tipped after lessons, i can recollect clearly because it was very unexpected and appreciated. to me i was just servicing the client.

a few specific instances where i have been tipped:

- i gave 2 female golfers a package of 6 lessons. they worked for the watch company breitling, after the 6th lessons they brought me in a breitling golf shirt which was very nice - though they said they wanted to gimme a watch :laugh:.

- pharmaceutical rep brought in 2 doctors for a 2 hour session. the rep tipped me on top of the fee.

- i gave a housewife a package of 6 lessons then she played with her husband, he came in the next day to tip me and thank me for what i did.

- xmas time members brought in envelopes as well as wine. and/or the club pooled together dollars for the staff.

point being, if there is an outstanding service dont feel like you shouldnt tip, but i will tell you its not expected and really fantastic when we get "greased"

BrianMcG

Dec 20, 2008
I'm new to golf and I know that basically everyone gets tipped, but is it customary to tip the pro after paying for a lesson? I don't want to not tip after my first lesson and look like a jackass!

Speaking from experience, it depends:

If your lesson was with the head pro then no, he makes enough already.

If it was with an Assistant, then yes. He makes nothing and an extra $5 to $10 bucks goes a long way. You will also start to notice that your clubs are extra clean and always loaded up on the good carts with the windsheild and fresh towels, you can always get the early tee time on Saturdays, and just as you start to notice that your grips are getting a little worn the Grip Fairy pays a visit and you have new grips on your clubs. :)

Tipping the Assitants is a good idea at Christmas also. They will remember that all year long. I remember every member that ever gave me an extra $20 for a lesson or $100 at Christmas, and I made sure to take care of them the rest of the year.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Absolutely not.

The best gift you can give a good teaching pro is to book another lesson.

stllefty

Dec 30, 2008
St. Louis Missouri
Country
United States United States
Tips

Ive been teaching for over 30 years ,and have never heard of such a thing. No ones ever offered ,but I would have to tell them No thanks ,but Thank You.

stllefty

Dec 30, 2008
St. Louis Missouri
Country
Best tip you can give a Pro, Someone else thats needs the help, I dont want to see you week after week. If thats the case I failed teaching you what you need to understand. If I cant have you hitting the ball correctly in a couple lessons , I"ll tell you , take two weeks off and Quit,ever think about Billards?
I better find another line of work!

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
to me i was just servicing the client.

Now i would expect that out of Jeff...but you? ;)

Personally, he is pocketing that 80$+/hr you just paid...no need for more...

However if he made that extra effort and maybe went that extra mile to help you, and you feel like you should or want to give a tip...go for it.

Not necessary in my mind though.

🔥 Latest posts