• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Arizona in January advice

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Hello follow shot talkers. Just found out I have a business conference in Phoenix. Will be there Jan 19-Jan 26. Two day conference 22nd and 23rd so took extra time to escape from Wisconsin winter.

AnyWHO, I'm looking for advice on what to do. Wife (non golfer but tolerates my addiction BLESS HER HEART) will be along so golf AND other activities are in order. Have heard there is a sweet train ride to the South Rim of Grand Canyon so that will be on agenda. Williams area???

Looking for other activities and of course GOLF. Not married to staying in the Scottsdale -Phoenix region so Tucson etc is in play. I love to play high end courses but since I will be there during the peak season high end also means mega $$$$$. I can afford $250/round but the thought of $3+ per stroke would get in the way of my enjoyment. I'm a cheap date.

Any suggestions for high value but quality courses in the area would be good. Again 200 mile trip from Phoenix is no problem. Also same for outings. Do plan on visiting Tucson region for sure. Maybe Tempe too. And I understand there is something called the Grand Canyon!!!:)

Man, I am sooooo there.:laugh::laugh::):laugh:

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Hello follow shot talkers. Just found out I have a business conference in Phoenix. Will be there Jan 19-Jan 26. Two day conference 22nd and 23rd so took extra time to escape from Wisconsin winter.

AnyWHO, I'm looking for advice on what to do. Wife (non golfer but tolerates my addiction BLESS HER HEART) will be along so golf AND other activities are in order. Have heard there is a sweet train ride to the South Rim of Grand Canyon so that will be on agenda. Williams area???

Looking for other activities and of course GOLF. Not married to staying in the Scottsdale -Phoenix region so Tucson etc is in play. I love to play high end courses but since I will be there during the peak season high end also means mega $$$$$. I can afford $250/round but the thought of $3+ per stroke would get in the way of my enjoyment. I'm a cheap date.

Any suggestions for high value but quality courses in the area would be good. Again 200 mile trip from Phoenix is no problem. Also same for outings. Do plan on visiting Tucson region for sure. Maybe Tempe too. And I understand there is something called the Grand Canyon!!!:)

Man, I am sooooo there.:laugh::laugh::):laugh:

I don't know nothing 'bout no golf courseS in Arizona. But I do know one thing...

DO NOT MISS THE GRAND CANYON.

Be aware that in Flagstaff (Grand Canyon territory) it can be cold and snowy in January. So you may want that as an excursion. Stay based in Phoenix and you shouldn't have golf weather problems. I lived in Tempe for a year and hated it. But that included a summer. Dry heat my A$$!

OP
zaphod

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Thanks Eracer. That's why we are considering letting a train do the driving up and down to GC. Cold is OK. We are from Wisconsin.

OP
zaphod

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Thanks Eracer. That's why we are considering letting a train do the driving up and down to GC. Cold is OK. We are from Wisconsin.:)

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Thanks Eracer. That's why we are considering letting a train do the driving up and down to GC. Cold is OK. We are from Wisconsin.:)

Well yeah, but you don't go to Arizona to play golf in Wisconsin...
icon12.gif

OP
zaphod

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
I'll go anywhere to play golf. I have a VERY serious disease.:)

The snow we now have is deep enough to force me back to sanity. It does NOT feel good. Seriously that's why I would like to further south to Tucson. How is Tempe in January. Hear the ASU course is excellent!!!!!

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I'll go anywhere to play golf. I have a VERY serious disease.:)

The snow we now have is deep enough to force me back to sanity. It does NOT feel good. Seriously that's why I would like to further south to Tucson. How is Tempe in January. Hear the ASU course is excellent!!!!!
Average January temps in Phoenix are 66/44. Tampa is 70/52, so it's a bit cooler, and you could easily have a 45-deg. day. But chances are it'll be decent enough.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
United States United States
Here is a link to a local radio show web site thas has links for tee times and course information. Bunker to Bunker - The Radio Show . You will be here 1 week before the Super Bowl so watch out for some of those price gouging. I would recommend the TPC, but they will getting ready for the FBR (Phoenix) Open and you might not be able to get out. A course I like is ASU Karsten Golf Course ( the course Arizona States golf teams calls home) ASU KARSTEN - Home . Also check out the Boulders Scottsdale Arizona Golf Resorts & Carefree Course Vacation Packages - The Boulders Resort . Perinial top 100 courses in the country. In the winter it does get cold here, not Wisconsin cold, but cold none the less. The desert doesn't retain much heat at night.

Now I don't play these high end courss much, I'm more of a Muni guy. I have a policy where I don't pay more an hour for a round of golf than I MAKE an hour.

🔥 Latest posts