• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

ARRRRRRRRR need too...

Topflite_D2

Titleist Pro V1
Jun 26, 2007
have a massage practitioner as a caddy. Went out for my 1st nine holes today. I was all excited and ready to go. Head to the first tee, took out the driver hit not bad shot to the left countering my fade, just missed the fairway. 2nd shot wasn't bad either, two approach shots killed me, then I two putted for a 7. I was all happy thought it wasn't bad. Then everything turned south, my 60° wedge hit way over the green into a pond, 2 stroke penalty, then I couldn't get the ball chipped on to the green, ended up leaving with a 14 :wow:. Do you think I should just quit?!!? (joking... kind of) Next shot hit a high fade about 30yrds before hitting a tree. I ended up with a horrible score on that hole too. Hole # 4 hit it into the water, 1 club short. 5th hole water again. I did have a nice chip and 1 putt on that hole though. But to sum up the next hole I can sum it up in 1 word... Anger. Bladed a 60° wedge about five times today. I played like crap, no other way to describe it shot at least a 70 on a par 35 course :shocked:. I want another lesson but I don't want it ending up a waste of money like the other two seemed to be. I don't know where to go from here, I feel like I wasted the money on the clubs, hit them just as crappy as I did my free Rams.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Find someone willing to trade you a World of Warcraft account for the clubs.

5iron

have a massage practitioner as a caddy. Went out for my 1st nine holes today. I was all excited and ready to go. Head to the first tee, took out the driver hit not bad shot to the left countering my fade, just missed the fairway. 2nd shot wasn't bad either, two approach shots killed me, then I two putted for a 7. I was all happy thought it wasn't bad. Then everything turned south, my 60° wedge hit way over the green into a pond, 2 stroke penalty, then I couldn't get the ball chipped on to the green, ended up leaving with a 14 :wow:. Do you think I should just quit?!!? (joking... kind of) Next shot hit a high fade about 30yrds before hitting a tree. I ended up with a horrible score on that hole too. Hole # 4 hit it into the water, 1 club short. 5th hole water again. I did have a nice chip and 1 putt on that hole though. But to sum up the next hole I can sum it up in 1 word... Anger. Bladed a 60° wedge about five times today. I played like crap, no other way to describe it shot at least a 70 on a par 35 course :shocked:. I want another lesson but I don't want it ending up a waste of money like the other two seemed to be. I don't know where to go from here, I feel like I wasted the money on the clubs, hit them just as crappy as I did my free Rams.

Dont take it hard , you jsut had an off day. And dont quit golf, cause its a great game aint it ! ?

OP
Topflite_D2

Topflite_D2

Titleist Pro V1
Jun 26, 2007
Find someone willing to trade you a World of Warcraft account for the clubs.
Yeah right, video games are for losers, especially WOW. I do occasionally play one but its not my life like the 35 year old guys yelling and screaming at their computer over WOW.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
You obviously weren't here for that debacle. I concur with Wi-Golfer. Contact WCG immediately, he has spare WOW accounts for you.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
second that 60* suggestion. Let it rest for a while. The sand wedge and PW are clubs to be mastered first.

Another suggestion is to play a round WITHOUT any woods in your bag. Groove that irons swing.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
We all have days that tough out there. If I didn't have bad days, I wouldn't know what to work on to get better. It's tough to continue to try to pull off herioc shots after bad shots and compound the problem, sometimes you have to know when to chip out into the fairway and go from there. Stick with it man. Maybe try just playing a round, then going to the range a few times before the next one. Make sure you have a plan at the range though. Also don't be afraid to ask for advice, chances are we've corrected some of the same problems you are going through.

Oh, and dump the 60.
icon10.gif

Edit - if you wouldn't mind me asking and you have the scorecard... what's the tees, yardage and slope of the course you are playing? Sounds like a lot of water, some over water and "hit a tree 30yds. out" really caught my attention. Part of the problem could be playing a course that is just plain tough, really too much for a beginning player. I learned to play on 2 easy courses and would actually "test" myself at a 119 slope course. Now I play all tougher courses, 125-135 slope and a lot longer, if I'd tried to play those my first 2yrs. I'd probably have quit.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006

West Coast Duffer

Orange County California
Oct 12, 2007
second that 60* suggestion. Let it rest for a while. The sand wedge and PW are clubs to be mastered first.

Another suggestion is to play a round WITHOUT any woods in your bag. Groove that irons swing.

yeah ditch the woods also. you will be amazed at how well you can shoot without them.

I still hurt my score with too many errant drives.

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
Dump the 60* like everyone else said.

I carry one because I like using it in different situations. But about 80% of the time from 100 yards in, it's my pitching wedge. It's just how I like to play, I rather bump and run, than pray that my shot doesn't get blown around by wind, that I don't come up short and that the spin is enough.

Also, read a bit about the sport. I used to absolutely HATE reading books or anything. But i've got a subscription to Golf Magazine and already made a pretty big dent in reading all the golf books at my school. They actually have quite a few.

Practice, practice, practice.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
get rid of the 60*.

second that 60* suggestion.

Oh, and dump the 60.
icon10.gif
Dump the 60* like everyone else said.

I've always been one to defend the 60* wedge, so why quit now, why not keep it in the bag until you blade it at least 8-10 times a round, then you will truly know that it belongs in a trash compactor and not your bag. :rolleyes:

Knowing when not to use the club, knowing when not to use it.....

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
On the 60' x 30' practice green where I like to work on my game, there are 4 stakes in each "quadrant" of the green. I stood in one spot and hit a shot at each one with my 60*...

Made the farthest one on the left, landed about 3 ft short and rolled into the stake.

Left the closer one on the left about 6 inches short.

Left the farther one on the right 2 feet past.

Left the closest one on the right a clubhead away.

The 60* isn't the problem. Your lack of practice is the problem.

🔥 Latest posts