• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Arthritis and Golf

Birdieman

Apr 1, 2018
Country
United States United States
Bought a one of these recently. I have one for my right hand on back order.

white_natural_fit_icon

Unfortunately, I've had some soreness and swelling in the PIP joints of the two middle fingers of each hand.

RA_Figure_1%20updated.jpg

I expect it is minor signs of arthritis in the affected joints. Unfortunately, because of where the club shaft sits in the finger joints, golf is the only sport that affects it. Every other activity is AOK.

I'm finding that I have soreness for about the first five holes during a round and then it goes away. Then after the round I get swelling and soreness for about 24 hours. At the moment, I'm putting tape around the PIP joints of each of the two middle fingers of my right hand. I'll see how things go when I get the glove for my right hand.

It's part of my journey. I'm not too concerned at the moment. It may resolve itself. I'll see how it goes.

Does anyone have anything similar? Experiences? Treatments?

I had a cortisone done and it relieved the pain for several years and it worked really well...but it is back in my hand recently. I may consider that again but looking at diet, icing and non-NSAIDS. I don't really notice stiffness and grip pain until way after the round... strange... out of sight, out of mind! I'll report my saga as I go.

I love the Bionic gloves... for golf.

Last edited:

Uncle Azzhole

Jack of all trades, azzhole in all of them...
Apr 30, 2018
Salem Oregon
Country
I feel your pain... literally! every joint in my body hurts like that even my spine. It really sucks that it hurts you only playing golf! Im just starting to get back into hitting at the range and boy does it make the hands hurt..:(
I have one of those bionic gloves in my bag, pretty bad shape though... never knew that it was for hand pain, gonna have to try it.

I was replacing the grip on my favorite driver yesterday so I can try it out again and found that it was a med grip with 5 layers of tape. So I replaced it with the same as it fits my hands better then any other clubs I have. Maybe I should regrip all my irons as well.

Last edited:
OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I’m happy to report that the arthritis flare up has settled down. No need for special gloves. No pain or sensitivity. Very happy.

Knock on wood it won’t return.

Last edited:

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I’m happy to report that the arthritis flair up has settled down. No need for special gloves. No pain or sensitivity. Very happy.

Knock on wood it won’t return.
As the body ages, it seems there are more and more "breakdowns"... more and more aches and pains. That's life. If something hurts, we know we woke up. You're too young to have constant arthritis pain!!!! Leave that to us old geezers! Glad to hear no recent flareups.

Members online

No members online now.