• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

As it gets colder, I get hotter!!

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Ever have those times you want to play twice a day, every day because you doing so well?

I've never been so confident on the tee box, or at my approach shots. My putting has me worried sometimes, and my wedge game is so-so lately, but everything else is whoa.

I've got my pre-shot routine set, my entire address, line up, all repeatable.

I'm hitting the clubs flush, my weight shift has started to get engrained, my hips firing on all cylinders, and all that good stuff.

The last 3 times I've played, I've been noticing I'm a good 1.5 clubs longer.

My driver is downright scary. I hook a little from time to time with my regular burner. My TBTP with the Whiteboard is the money. No hooks, I'm getting on average 250-255 yard drives without getting after it too hard.

I can actually WORK my shots, or atleast feel like I can. I can aim, and drive. All day yesterday, we had literally 7-8 holes that were doglegs. I was able to cut the corners, over trees, ect, and play it left and right, and get it to cut and draw when I needed. Who woulda thought!?

My irons were solid. I had a good bit of misses on the greens, but checking my yardages, 150 yards out, I'm around a 7/8 iron. Not long I guess, but it beats using my 6i from 150-155 that I normally had been around.

I never use a flop shot. I know how it works, but I never use it or practice it. Yesterday, dog leg right, I slammed a drive just over the corner, and landed perfectly at just past the 150 marker. Creek was 100 yards in front of me, trees all along the right side, and behind, and bunkers all along the front and back right. Huge kidney green. I pushed my 8i short and right and hit square into a weeping willow tree. Bounced back just off the edge of the cart path. Because I couldn't punch under the tree and get on without some luck and popping it out of a bunker, I could only go over. I set up with my 56, opened it way up, and swung. Perfect shot, I couldn't EVER do it again. Got it over the tree, which I think was probably around 20 ft. Landed it maybe 2 ft from the pin, and it spun back a tad down the slope.

I sunk a 30 footer too. My approach was off, and I could blame the wind. I'm a *****, and hate playing in some stiff wind, so I suck at working to compensate for it. Left for a long par putt, and sunk that sucker. Almost broke my ankle I jumped so high.

Overall, I just can't sit in the house and not play.. I'm just happy it's not super cold down here in the south, and I can play a little more in the fall/winter. I'm much happier playing now, considering weeks ago I was just lost. I didn't even want to go to the range, because I couldn't hit ANYTHING. I was contemplating emergency swing surgery and finding any pro who'd help. Glad I held off.. I might take a lesson, I'm just worried it'll hurt if I do this winter..

Anyone else like that, or is this normal?! Time to wipe the bag off and put in the closet for a few months, and your sticks get hot?!

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Pretty much in the same boat, been playing a ton & the game has really come around. Am afraid the long winter layoff is going to screw me up & next spring will be back in the same boat I was at the beginning of this year.

Like yourself, I have noticed an increase in distances with all my clubs, last year my driver was 220-230 & this year it's been a lot more 240-250.
Irons have all gone up by a good 10 yds also, actually it's 20 yds since the beginning of last year. In the spring of 07 I was using my 5 iron to hit 150 yds, early this year I was using my 6 iron & now my 7 iron is the 150 club.

PureStroke

Oct 10, 2008
I think you guys should just Keep it goin and play when ever you can. When your hot keep the flame burning. Way to go fellas , isnt golf a blast when everything is clicking and ticking on all cylinders its like theres no hole out there that can stop you . And you just wanna play 36 holes every day. Hey Fat maybe you should hold off on the lessons until you really need one:beach3:

OP
FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I think you guys should just Keep it goin and play when ever you can. When your hot keep the flame burning. Way to go fellas , isnt golf a blast when everything is clicking and ticking on all cylinders its like theres no hole out there that can stop you . And you just wanna play 36 holes every day. Hey Fat maybe you should hold off on the lessons until you really need one:beach3:

I probably will...

I'll hold off on a lesson, mainly because I'm downright terrified that I'll have different thoughts, swing thoughts.. Having my swing changed and tweaked, and causing me to change something or lose my focus and just jack everything up.

If I go cold, I'll end up stop playing for a while and I may as well just put it away and get back out there in Feb.

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
Dude, you live in GA. It's not like you have to stop for winter. You know there will be at least one day a week that for some unknown reason gets up in the 60s so you can go play. Last year I played twice on the week between Christmas and New Years and I didn't even have to wear long sleeves.

OP
FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Oh yeah, your right.. I wasn't really implying that I'm hanging them up for the winter.. We don't really have a winter.. And your right, it'll warm up one day, and I can go out and play.

I just hate cold wind.. I don't mind cold, I really don't.. I just hate the friggin' wind.

So we'll see... Might be the chance to eat up some nice courses in the "winter" time.. But seeing as how NONE around here lower the price for anything but twilight rates if you lucky.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
This winter I'll be out there, even with snow...as long as it isn't a lot! This coming from someone who despises the cold.

Anyway, tis a beautiful things when everything clicks there Fat, way to go!

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Up here it's hard to swing with the long johns, flannel shirts, parkas and insulated boots on. Much less the mittens. :D

rubber314chicken

Thats what she said
Dec 27, 2007
When I broke 50 it was cold to the point where I was getting cold under my long pants and a lond sleve buttondown. And let me tell you I don't get cold easily.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Up here it's hard to swing with the long johns, flannel shirts, parkas and insulated boots on. Much less the mittens. :D

I don't even like playing with a windbreaker on. Tried playing the other day with a pair of TM cold weather gloves, just couldn't get used to it so I scrapped that idea quickly.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
The only reason I opened this thread was my poor eyesight. Thought the thread title was "As I get OLDER, I get hotter!". Figured it had photos of Claire!!!!:D:D:D

It's beginning to remind us of the season change, here. Saturday morning, had a frost delay that did not see the course open until 9:45. First off, so got in a quick 18. Yesterday, no frost delay. Flew through 18 early. Home, honey-do's, and lunch. After lunch, told the wife (asked permission) that it was such a nice day I might slip out and play some more. 40 mph winds w/lo 60's made it feel cool. Partnered up with another old coot and played another 18. 54 holes in two days... and everything ached last night! But....

I have to agree with some of the other posters. It's time to pick up my toys and go home... and I'm just beginning to have fun! Finally got the weights adjusted on the SuperQuad where the ball flight is what I want. Hitting it so consistently! Just a couple weeks ago, tried hybrids... again. EVERY hybrid I've tried wanted to go dead leaft. These Adams I've had to concentrate to keep them from going right. I can draw them, but haven't hit a hook yet! This is the 3rd full season the Eye 2+'s have been in the bag and they are just like a pair of old slippers. 40 mph wind, yesterday afternoon. I was on all 4 par 5's in regulation. I hit all 4 par 3 greens. At my age, I know those days have to limited.

It's beginning to feel like winter and I just want to hit some more tee balls and some more smooth irons. Wish I could "freeze dry" the current satisfaction with the bag and be able to pick right back up there next Spring.

The Scotty will live with me, some this winter. The Cameron made the single most difference in my game this year! Will the putting stroke still be there in the Spring? Can I putt rough and tumble winter greens and still keep some semblence of a stroke for next season? I finally have the confidence it will.

Do any of you guys who live down south have a wife you want to ship to Kansas for the winter? I can open cans and operate a microwave. I've survived 42 years with my wife... surely your wife could get along with her for a couple months!!! I'll sleep in the trunk of your car in the garage, if it means playing all winter long!!!

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I had a good day of golf today. It got up to about 65 degrees, perfect. The leagues and stupid tournaments are done for the year and my favorite course is wide open. I get on as a resident for $22.50. Greens and fairways in really good shape, greens still running fast from a pro tournament yesterday. I teed off at 11am and came down 9 as the sun started going down. Played 18 and then another 8 holes, working on some extra putts and chips.

OP
FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I'm itching to squeek in 9 after work this week. With a huge college football weekend, and going to the mountains this weekend, I'm wondering if I want to play as a single up there, if it's not too cold and windy.

🔥 Latest posts