• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Aside from golf, what other hobbies do you enjoy?

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
Is drinking a hobby? :D I'm in to coin collecting, hunting, fishing, dirt bikes, making things from wood and metal but I rarely get to spend much time on those activities because, well, life.

The one thing I spend 80% of my idle time on is reading. I love all types of books but I'm a big nerd and enjoy sci-fi and fantasy the most. According to my Kindle, I read an average of 28 days per month lol.

OP
anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Any coin enthusiasts?

Here is a neat little piece of history:

1570588887648.jpg
1570588903734.jpg

It's a silver Greek coin depicting the Goddess Athena on the front and her owl on the back. It was made over 400 years before the birth of Christ! Cool huh?

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Any coin enthusiasts?

Here is a neat little piece of history:

View attachment 31683View attachment 31684

It's a silver Greek coin depicting the Goddess Athena on the front and her owl on the back. It was made over 400 years before the birth of Christ! Cool huh?
Not a coin "enthusiast". When we were married, over 50 years ago, my wife would not spend a Mercury dime. She saved every one she received in change. Over time, we also saved silver dollars, Franklin and Kennedy halves, Indian head pennies... most anything that seemed to be phased out designs. We haven't counted, but have a safety deposit box chuck full of old coins. Our luck, probably a couple in there worth something. Well, the kids can enjoy that if there is. The coins will remain in the safety deposit box until they go through it when we're gone.

Reading?? Wife reads from four to six library books/week. I go in phases. Have read three in a row the past few days. Then, I'll go a week or two and not read a single one. I read fiction. Most are assassin type, modern detective, etc. Patterson, Sanford, Sandra Brown, Baldacchi, etc.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Right now - Hunting. My entire world revolves around bow hunting at the moment. My movements are determined by cold fronts, barometer readings, trail cam photos, and weird boney things on the top of deer heads. Trying to get to my daughters swim meets.

Winter - Vegas style archery league, ice fishing, cutting firewood, computer gaming, working on personal software projects I have going on...my oldest boy's basketball, indoor soccer, swim lessons, cub scouts, and whatever else he decides to do

Spring - Fishing, cutting firewood, tree removals on the side for some extra cash, 3D archery shoots, kid's spring sports I can't think of at the moment....I think daughters track is spring

Summer - my two softball leagues, my son's baseball, daughters softball, yet more tree removals when they come up, Ducati 848 riding!

I did just buy a 2007 KTM 300 XC-W from my father in law....he bought a new Beta dirt bike and gave me a great price on the KTM with a bunch of extras. I've never rode dirt before....only street, so I'm excited to try out the dirt.

My current side hustle is as an amateur climbing arborist - I've done a few removals now(mostly ash tree's that have the borer). No trimming, thinning, or limbing jobs yet...but not a lot of people around here bother with that unless it's a specific limb over their house or driveway. It's a really fun hobby that gets the heart pumping and adrenaline flowing. The best part is getting paid pretty good to get your exercise in for the week. Nothing like dropping 8 foot hunks of 20" diameter ash logs from 50 feet...takes a lot of concentration, planning, and attention to detail.

Originally got into it because I had an ash in the back yard that had to come down, but because of other tree's, the kid's play house, the river, and our deck, it could not be felled whole. Not bucket truck accessible so it had to be climbed and the estimates were $2000-$2500. Well, for $1000 in quality gear(that I could sell right now for probably $700) and a couple months of training self lead training, I did it myself. Then friends started asking me to do trees for them.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I have one that is the crown jewel of my collection.

View attachment 31689View attachment 31690

Isn't she beautiful?!
Gotta couple of old hybrids in need of regripping... great condition for their age... only a few idiot marks on the top... shafts may show some wear, but I think it's from when the bag fell off the cart (which shows the resiliency of these clubs). Hate like heck to part with 'em but would trade 'em to you for that coin. :D:D

OP
anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Gotta couple of old hybrids in need of regripping... great condition for their age... only a few idiot marks on the top... shafts may show some wear, but I think it's from when the bag fell off the cart (which shows the resiliency of these clubs). Hate like heck to part with 'em but would trade 'em to you for that coin. :D:D
Are they Warrier hybrids, like seen on TV?? If so, it's a deal, but only if you throw in one of your ball retrievers....you probably better re-grip it too.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Tennis is my primary hobby, Golf is more of a side hobby. I also disc golf on occasion.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Are they Warrier hybrids, like seen on TV?? If so, it's a deal, but only if you throw in one of your ball retrievers....you probably better re-grip it too.
The Warriors are staying in the bag. I might consider throwing in my two-sided chipper. (Some keep telling me it is non-conforming due to being two-sided.) I've had it totally customized by one of the most respected club builders in the area. The shaft has been changed to an "X" flex KBS Tour, cut to exactly 33 13/64". A 9/32" hole has been drilled into the toe and 14 grams of lead powder imported from Colorado inserted into the hole. (I have noticed after insertion of the powder from Colorado, the chipper has appeared more "chipper" and smells a little like pot.) A "SuperStrong Roadkill" grip has been installed. I always found the SuperStroke line too soft for my exceptionally strong grip. Would hate to part with it, but might to a good friend.

OP
anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
The Warriors are staying in the bag. I might consider throwing in my two-sided chipper. (Some keep telling me it is non-conforming due to being two-sided.) I've had it totally customized by one of the most respected club builders in the area. The shaft has been changed to an "X" flex KBS Tour, cut to exactly 33 13/64". A 9/32" hole has been drilled into the toe and 14 grams of lead powder imported from Colorado inserted into the hole. (I have noticed after insertion of the powder from Colorado, the chipper has appeared more "chipper" and smells a little like pot.) A "SuperStrong Roadkill" grip has been installed. I always found the SuperStroke line too soft for my exceptionally strong grip. Would hate to part with it, but might to a good friend.

Two sided chipper?? I'm surprised your playing partners don't raise hell! That's a huge advantage! Nah, I know how valuable those chippers are and I don't have anything else to sweeten the deal up for an even trade. Guess I'll keep my MS65 penny. Can't buy much with a penny anymore anyway.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Two sided chipper?? I'm surprised your playing partners don't raise hell! That's a huge advantage! Nah, I know how valuable those chippers are and I don't have anything else to sweeten the deal up for an even trade. Guess I'll keep my MS65 penny. Can't buy much with a penny anymore anyway.
If you think I'd really ever put a two-sided chipper in MY bag... you're wrong!!! I'd have to have my arm twisted pretty severely to even put in a conforming one-sided chipper! Them's for old guys!!! :>)

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Hobbies besides golf...firearms. :D
Grew up on a small farm. Hunted for food from the time I was old enough to head out in the pasture with an old single shot .410. By the 70's, had a Federal Firearms License and a fairly extensive collection of firearms. .257 Weatherby, hand picked from Roy Weatherby's personal stock. 25-06 SAKO. Winchester 94 chambered in .44 magnum. Used the same ammo in my S&W Model 29 .44 mag. Browning BLR in .243. Belgium Browning Auto 5 in leather Browning case with all three interchangeable barrels... Full, Mod, and IC chokes. That Belgium Browning had never been fired. Bought it for $800 from a guy hard up for cash. Sold it 10 years later for just under $5,000. Probably bought and sold a couple hundred firearms.
Reloaded for all my centerfire with an RCBS Rock Chucker press. Reloaded shotshell with a Pacific rotary rig.
By mid 80's had sold almost everything I owned in firearms and supplies. Since then, it's been all golf.

OP
anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Grew up on a small farm. Hunted for food from the time I was old enough to head out in the pasture with an old single shot .410. By the 70's, had a Federal Firearms License and a fairly extensive collection of firearms. .257 Weatherby, hand picked from Roy Weatherby's personal stock. 25-06 SAKO. Winchester 94 chambered in .44 magnum. Used the same ammo in my S&W Model 29 .44 mag. Browning BLR in .243. Belgium Browning Auto 5 in leather Browning case with all three interchangeable barrels... Full, Mod, and IC chokes. That Belgium Browning had never been fired. Bought it for $800 from a guy hard up for cash. Sold it 10 years later for just under $5,000. Probably bought and sold a couple hundred firearms.
Reloaded for all my centerfire with an RCBS Rock Chucker press. Reloaded shotshell with a Pacific rotary rig.
By mid 80's had sold almost everything I owned in firearms and supplies. Since then, it's been all golf.

The 2nd to last sentence made me sad

🔥 Latest posts