• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

At least half of this game.....

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
is 90% mental, to paraphrase Yogi. :)

Yesterday on the front, playing alone, with no one behind me, I shot a 42, with these SRP (+1,+1,+2,0,0,+1,0,+1,0).

On the back, initially being pushed by 2 old codgers in a cart, playing from the golds, letting them play through, then pairing up with another walker, I shot a 49 (+1,+1,+2,+1,+3,+2,+1,+1,+1). There went breaking 90 for the first time. :(

Obviously, I'm still self-conscious about my playing ability, to the point where I'm losing almost a stroke a hole. When someone's watching, I tighten up and hit a lot of poor shots.

Any advice?

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
Get used to it and it'll pass. Probably after you actually get those lower numbers a few times.

I have a tendency to play like poo when I play with a couple of my friends, and great with others. But even the couple that I don't play well with, I've started scoring lower around after I started to score lower with the friends that I felt more comfortable with. Odd as it may seem.

Also, it may not necessarily be a factor of having the guys there as much as the unwillingness to allow yourself to score lower than "you are capable of"...it's kind of a thing from Zen Golf...where if you don't go too low, you can't have too hgh of expectations for yourself and thus won't make the game too stressful. I've had a lot of rounds that were scored exactly like yours - 42-49, 41-50, etc. Drives me insane.

DouginGA

dont tread on me
Dec 8, 2005
Like you say doc mostly mental state of mind; especially in regards to "others watching". what you have to remind yourself is: 80% +- of golfers never break 100. You Doc, are playing in the top 20%. So why worry? why be "self-conscious about my playing ability" ? You ARE a good golfer :) Believe it, its true, and if you do happen to duff one so what? You ARE a good golfer :) Believe it, its true, You ARE a good golfer :) Believe it, its true, etc, etc. :)
Peace
Doug

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Thanks for the encouragement. I'll keep plugging away, but I think it relates to a deep feeling of insecurity. I hate audiences, could never perform on the stage, for instance.

My God, it probably goes back to childhood and not being breastfed! They didn't do that back then!

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
Damn Doc, you're getting to be downright competent. Well done. If you can do 9 in 42, you ought to be able to play with almost anyone without feeling self-conscious. Not only that, but scores go up in cold weather.

BTW: Breast feeding is wasted on babies.:rolleyes:

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
<blush> Thanks for the kind words.

You know, people who have never tried golf (otherwise known as sane people) have no idea how difficult and addicting it is. There are so many different shots to learn, forget, and learn all over again.

It's a neverending challenge.

DouginGA

dont tread on me
Dec 8, 2005
not being breastfed??? LOL :)
my father and I usually try to add to a list of 10,000 excuses for a bad shot when playing but that one takes the cake!!

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
SiberianDVM said:
Thanks for the encouragement. I'll keep plugging away, but I think it relates to a deep feeling of insecurity. I hate audiences, could never perform on the stage, for instance.

My God, it probably goes back to childhood and not being breastfed! They didn't do that back then!

Not to take away from your breastfeeding arguement but you might consider this.

Nobody really cares whether you play well or not. I use to worry about crap like this but then it hit me that I never think about how the other guys I'm playing with are doing.

They hit a good shot, I say good shot and move on. They hit a bad shot, I keep my mouth shut and worry about my own next shot.

Once I realized this I was able to concentrate on my own game and forget about who I was playing with or what they might be thinking. Enjoy the game and remember, nobody cares.

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Rock cares. :) <sniff>

By the way, I screwed up this computer yesterday so bad that I haven't been able to post until now. Does anybody care? :D

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
Hankies for everyone. You guys are making me ill. I hope no one says they need a hug!

🔥 Latest posts