• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Augusta National Better?

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I thought they did an excellent job in setting up the course like the old days where someone could make a move on the last day. Made for a very enjoyable Masters this year IMHO. :)

sandwedge

Oct 19, 2006
I agree. I thought this was the best setup in a while. It was tough as usual but there were plenty of birdie opportunites out there.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
This is the first Master's i've watched. I will say that it appeared that at least a few of the guys could "play" the course. I think everyone knew they were going to focus on T and P, but they certainly delivered on making a very interesting sunday. Like WI said, I also enjoyed watching Cabrera speed golf. Our Wisconsin boy placed top 10 so all in all I liked it.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Low scores were there for those who could pull off the tough shots - something that was lacking the past few years. The greens were more receptive, and some of the pin placements encouraged a more aggressive approach. I liked it.

Highdraw34

Mar 27, 2006
Evidently some players didn't like it. I read on an ESPN board that Sergio and Ogilvy made some comments about fairness. Can anyone confirm this or site an article. I saw it in response to Bob Harig's article but can't find any actual quotes anywhere

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
I think it was the weather that made the most difference and this allowed the course to play the way it was intended for the first time in a few years.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Evidently some players didn't like it. I read on an ESPN board that Sergio and Ogilvy made some comments about fairness. Can anyone confirm this or site an article. I saw it in response to Bob Harig's article but can't find any actual quotes anywhere

You're friggin kidding... Sergio was complainig?

If they were it's only cause they sucked it up.

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
The only change I would like to see for next year is to shave the rough down to fairway height again so balls have a real chance of running through the fairway and into the trees more often. The rough was so easy it might as well not have been there anyways. But the new pin placements did make for much more aggressive golf on Sunday and much more excitement.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I think they did an excellent job with course setup. It was a very entertaining Masters to watch... now only if the outcome had been different... nothing against Angel... but meh... just not a fan of his.

figjam

Aug 29, 2007
This year was without a doubt the best year for a long while. The roars came back on Sunday again. I watched it on Sunday and nearly every player was going for the par 5's in two if they hit a decent tee shot. In previous years the course was so unfairly set up that you had short knocker chops like Zac Johnson winning whilst laying up on every par 5. This year bold play was rewarded. If Phil had held his nerve on the greens and on the 12th tee he would have won coming from 8 shots back. That couldn't have happened the last few years.

Sergio certainly did whinge about the course, but has since tried to apologise and claim his words were taken out of context. A bit like when he tried to say he didn't really spit in the cup. No wonder he's so universally despised by the fans. I look forward to the day the crowd starts a "Sergio's a Wanker!" chant when he walks onto the first tee.

RCI

Jul 26, 2008
Augusta National was better, in my opinion. A slight shortening of number one, maybe one to 1/2 foot slower greens, greens that were a little softer, and the fringes and slightly longer -- those are the reasons I suspect. Putts from off the slope (from middle to slightly back of middle of the green) down to the right side middle pin on 15 do not normally stop above the hole, that was a key observation. I saw a few putts stop there and that is not normal.

🔥 Latest posts