• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Augusta National - What Jones intended it to be?

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
With The Masters right around the corner... this got me thinking. Is Augusta National, in it's current state, what Bobby Jones intended it to be when he opened it? I'm not really talking about the golf course, per say. It would be hard to argue that Augusta isn't one of, if not the most beautiful course in the world... and we all know it's certainly difficult enough. I'm talking about the overall way it's run, and the exclusivity of it.

I know Jones never hurt for money in his life. But given his legacy.. being arguably the greatest amature of all time.. it just seems if he were running it today... things would be different. Even being as accomplished and successful as he was professionally(non-golf), by todays standards even himself wouldn't be considered for membership to that place.

From what I gather.. you pretty much have to be a Bill Gates, T. Boone Pickens type billionair, or some of these retardedly rich CEO's to be a member. Golf is only played there a few months out of the year... and from what I understand not at all before the Masters. I've tried to find some sort of history as to how the club has evolved over the years but I haven't been able to find squat. It seems to make sense to me... that a person who didn't play golf for money, who could have made truck loads of it playing golf, would have created a course for more people to enjoy. Not some money pit for only professionals and the richest of the rich. I just wonder what he would think if he could see it today.

Thoughts? I might be waaayyy off base and Augusta may be exactly what he envisioned.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Clifford Roberts wrote a book about the evolution of the Masters and Augusta National. I found it at the Augusta Library. It's pretty old now and out of print.

From what I remember, they always recruited "captains of industry and finance". Rich, fat cats.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I hate any sort of club which prides itself on being exclusive simply based on how much $$$ you have. Rich prick is no better than I am.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Clifford Roberts wrote a book about the evolution of the Masters and Augusta National. I found it at the Augusta Library. It's pretty old now and out of print.

From what I remember, they always recruited "captains of industry and finance". Rich, fat cats.

I read a book about the Masters that my next door neighbour bought from the Augusta National gift shop some years back. It was a bit of a boring read but the most interesting point that I took out of it is how it struggled in the early years. It's survival really was doubtful.

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
Think of it this way guys, and I am in no way saying that I like the fact that Augusta is so exclusive, but what of the best things in life isn't. The best night clubs - exclusive, up until 75 years ago the best scotch Uscabach (spelling?) was only served to the british royal family. Would Augusta have the same appeal that it does if it weren't so exclusive? The whole reason the tournament became so famous and the course so beloved was because of the mystery surrounding it. We as "mere mortals" weren't allowed in but once a year where we could walk among the greatest golfers in the game on a course that was as close to hallowed ground as any graveyard. Then TV came in and all you saw was amen corner and the 17th and 18th holes. Eventually coverage has extended to most of the rest of the course, but it is still primarily these key areas.

Why do people put Augusta on your top 5 courses to play before you die? For one simple reason - you can't play it!!! It is a status sign to play that course, you know somebody if you get on. Now I am not saying that Augusta isn't a great course in its own right, but the reason that it holds such a high position in peoples minds is that even Dan Marino was turned away at the gates.

OP
slickpitt

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I hate any sort of club which prides itself on being exclusive simply based on how much $$$ you have. Rich prick is no better than I am.

Amen Brotha. I've always felt that way.

There's a course opening up here local pretty soon. At the golf show they had a booth and I asked the lady how much membership was. She said $25k a year. I said "pfft" laughed and walked away.

Manavs

Bodybuilding Golf Pro
Dec 19, 2008
With The Masters right around the corner... this got me thinking. Is Augusta National, in it's current state, what Bobby Jones intended it to be when he opened it? I'm not really talking about the golf course, per say. It would be hard to argue that Augusta isn't one of, if not the most beautiful course in the world... and we all know it's certainly difficult enough. I'm talking about the overall way it's run, and the exclusivity of it.

I know Jones never hurt for money in his life. But given his legacy.. being arguably the greatest amature of all time.. it just seems if he were running it today... things would be different. Even being as accomplished and successful as he was professionally(non-golf), by todays standards even himself wouldn't be considered for membership to that place.

From what I gather.. you pretty much have to be a Bill Gates, T. Boone Pickens type billionair, or some of these retardedly rich CEO's to be a member. Golf is only played there a few months out of the year... and from what I understand not at all before the Masters. I've tried to find some sort of history as to how the club has evolved over the years but I haven't been able to find squat. It seems to make sense to me... that a person who didn't play golf for money, who could have made truck loads of it playing golf, would have created a course for more people to enjoy. Not some money pit for only professionals and the richest of the rich. I just wonder what he would think if he could see it today.

Thoughts? I might be waaayyy off base and Augusta may be exactly what he envisioned.

Interesting topic SLickpitt,

to answer your question, is it being run the way jones invisioned, i'd say overwhelmingly yes.

though i've never played augusta, i have been fortunate enough to know my share of augusta members over the years and have played with them at other clubs.

From my experience, your bank account is not the primary reason to get in, plenty of people have money and cant get into these clubs. it has to do with how you got your money - earn it/ steal it/ inherited it. More importantly its got more to do with your family name and the circles you run in.

firstly you cant be a prick. southern humble gentleman, from good bloodline, married into the right families doing the right type of work, on the right committees and boards, and members of the right golf clubs are your typical members. if you can trace your family name back to the mayflower or royalty, it doesnt hurt.

no way would a hot shot from say nj/ny get in just because he made some money and has a big mouth on him. they are hard circles to get into, and once your in, dont f&$* it up!

as an outsider, ive felt like there is a fraterity of sorts, and they play in all the member guest events of say the following clubs -

seminole
pine valley
wade hampton
wee burn
merion
national golf links
jupiter island
misquamicut
cc of nc

its a pretty tight list - and im leaving out about 20 more.

But i think this is what he wanted from a gathering place of friends made up of genuine people, giving people, hard working people, self made people, or decendents of self made people who havent blown the good family name their ancestors made. people who have contributed to the fabric of american society.

augusta was not built for the masses to play, rather a getaway for the his group of elite friends, and their friends.

I think he despised bullshit artists, politicians, and the hollywood types. Add to that list the fact that there are not many foreigners (other than british royalty) or immigrants and first generationers there.

Its old money, and thats how its been kept.

just my 2 cents

SolderJockey

Oct 31, 2007
Amen Brotha. I've always felt that way.

There's a course opening up here local pretty soon. At the golf show they had a booth and I asked the lady how much membership was. She said $25k a year. I said "pfft" laughed and walked away.

That's cheap around here. (NYC). It looks like munis forever for me.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
First, they ruined the course when they modified it so Tiger would have a harder time winning (and what other reason was there?)

Secondly, other great courses can be played by mere mortals like you and I. I don't like that kind of "image". Fat cats only. Piss on them. Like WG said, they're no better then I am, they just have more money.

I do have to laugh at the women's libbers trying to get it opened to them. Not in our lifetime.

It's a beautiful golf course but just a golf course. I hope Tiger tears it up there this year.

Didn't they used to make all the pros use the Augusta caddies? And they were all black men. Seemed very racist to me at that time.

SiberianDVM has had some interesting insights on Augusta over the years. I hope he jumps in here with his comments.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
That's cheap around here. (NYC). It looks like munis forever for me.

Well you people will also pay 1 mil+ for a 1 bedroom 600sqft apartment..with no parkingspaces...(nothing against you personaly)

'percieved' value in NYC is wacked....25k/year for golf? ugh...no. Thats downright insane....

I can get a full couple membership at a fairly decent very well maintained course full year with carts, free range balls with any round, no bar/restaraunt minimum for about $1200...now granted i can only play for about 8 months at the most...

figjam

Aug 29, 2007
Think of it this way guys, and I am in no way saying that I like the fact that Augusta is so exclusive, but what of the best things in life isn't. The best night clubs - exclusive, up until 75 years ago the best scotch Uscabach (spelling?) was only served to the british royal family. Would Augusta have the same appeal that it does if it weren't so exclusive? The whole reason the tournament became so famous and the course so beloved was because of the mystery surrounding it. We as "mere mortals" weren't allowed in but once a year where we could walk among the greatest golfers in the game on a course that was as close to hallowed ground as any graveyard. Then TV came in and all you saw was amen corner and the 17th and 18th holes. Eventually coverage has extended to most of the rest of the course, but it is still primarily these key areas.

Why do people put Augusta on your top 5 courses to play before you die? For one simple reason - you can't play it!!! It is a status sign to play that course, you know somebody if you get on. Now I am not saying that Augusta isn't a great course in its own right, but the reason that it holds such a high position in peoples minds is that even Dan Marino was turned away at the gates.
I have to disagree with you on this one. Making a course ultra exclusive does not make it a better course or a more sought after course to play. The two best courses in the world, St Andrews Old Course and Pebble Beach, are public access courses (albeit very expensive ones). The fact that anyone can play them adds to their appeal IMO.

I also agree with Warbird that the course has been runined by the committees pre-occupation in protecting par from the likes of Tiger and other long bombers. It has gone from an exciting course that rewards agressive, swashbuckling play, to a course that now favours short hitters who lay up on EVERY par 5 EVERY day of the tournament. The days of the swashbucklers like Palmer, Seve, Norman, Els and Tiger tearing up the back nine on Sundays has been replaced by Sundays dominated by boring plodders laying up to wedge distance and avoiding trouble off the tee. The Masters is the most over hyped of the Majors and IMO is a distant equal last with The PGA Championship. The two Opens are the real majors and the ones I look forward to watching the most.

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
A member of my immediate family owned a golf course that I helped build and start. Let me just tell you that very few golf courses make money off green fees. It is so, so expensive to run a good course, the numbers would blow your minds. It would be nearly impossible for Augusta to be Augusta without outrages membership fees and limited rounds. Not saying that I like being excluded, but I thought I would share some insight on the financial end of why it is what it is today.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.