• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Augusta on my mind

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
So it's Augusta week again and I can't wait! I'm like a kid at Christmas, full of wonder and excitement. By now I know most of the holes fairly well, especially the back nine. The anticipation of seeing the course, how it's been set up, the pairings, the players interviews, the Par 3 tournament. Every year it just seems to get better, it almost becomes an old friend. It signifies the start of the golfing calendar for most, the eagerness to replicate some of the swings and fashions displayed by our golfing heroes.

Every year I hope for an exciting Masters. Lots of great shots, plenty of birdies. But I also enjoy watching the top talent in the world being made to look ordinary when the course decides to bare her teeth. Devilishly fast greens, wicked pin positions, a perplexing breeze all add to the mix and cause all sorts of frustrations. The appearance of rough, some of the trees starting to cause players to "think again" as they reach for the driver.
And the inevitable question of who is going to win? The old favourites now facing some rising stars as they try to assert their authority over these princely fairways. But we still love the old guys. Freddie casually strolling round the place like its a Saturday four ball. Langer and Watson still stripping irons. Yes they may have lost the game to win, but they add to the tapestry that makes the tournament special.

And the amateurs including Alan Dunbar, the 2012 British Amateur champion, who hails from a town 3 miles from where I live! How exciting is that. Undoubtedly GMac will be keeping a friendly eye on him, they play out of the same club!

I love seeing players win a tournament rather than lose it but Augusta tends to lend itself better to disaster than brilliance. Amen corner so aptly named. And who do I want to win? I'd be lying if I didn't say I'd love to see an Irishman win, but I'm usually happy whoever wins, as long as it is exciting. And I'll regret not putting a few quid on the eventual winner, whoever that may be. The back nine on Sunday is my favourite golf watching of the year. Will Rory mix it up with Tiger in a birdie blitz? Probably not, but I'm hoping two or more golfing gladiators fight it out until the last out drops and another green jacket is donned.

I hope the sun shines and the beauty of this Cathedral of Golf is there for all to see. I'd love to visit, and in my dreams I've played the 12th so many times, a crisp high 7 iron with a touch of draw to a left pin. Easy birdie, right? But for the meantime I'll be with the millions of other golf addicts sitting on couches round the world joining them in their cheers and taunts. Screaming at the TV and throwing cheese puffs. And when it's over we'll appreciate how great a game this is. And we will start to look forward to the other majors and what the 2013 golfing calendar will throw our way!

Enjoy...

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
No TL;DR?! Oh, I though it was a Limp post ;D

I've been watching Live@ The Masters and the course is absolutely stunning. Last year the dogwoods and azalea's had already bloomed and were gone because of the warm spring. This tournament is truly magical.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.