• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Austin-San Antonio Texas trip

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Yo,

I was in Central Texas 1/8/09 thru 1/15/09 for a vacation-business trip.
So I thought I would post a few pics of a Wisconsin golfer curing a severe case of cabin fever.

Golfing pics in Austin Jimmy Clay complex will follow as they are in my son-in-law's camera. The Jimmy Clay course was located by the airport (southern part of Austin). $17 greens fees for 18 at a 36 hole complex. Very reasonable and course was of good quality. My S-I-L (Chad) and son (Eric) and yours truly played 18 the first day and 9 the second. Mid 70's for temps but the Texas wind was blowing in hill country. Overall the course was on the upper end of muni courses with Bermuda greens overseeded with rye for the winter. Large greens with some slope. Fairly fast and ball rolled true.

Chad is just taking up golf going with his 4th time out. He broke 100 with a 97 and was ecstatic. He is now looking for a set of Slingshot irons. Chad's a NIKE fanatic soon to be a Golf/Nike fanatic!!!!:thumbs up: Eric shot a 76 with rental clubs. I did bring his driver, 21* hybrid , and putter. On a par 4 after his drive he brought me over to the teeing ground and pointed out the USGA marker, 401 yards. He then said notice where my ball is. A 397 yard drive drive.:faintthud Wind aided (20 mph) and Texas roll but just off to the right of the green short of pin high is a helluva good smack. Second day he hit the green from a fairway bunker 273 yards away. 21* Nike CPR with NO roll. Ball was actually 6" behind ball mark. Another ROCKET. A 76/ 39 for him. Me--low 80's.

Austin itself was GREAT. Self proclaimed LIVE music capital of the world. The Sixth street -et al -complex of bars, music venues, comedy clubs, restaurant was second to none. They sell a multitude of KEEP AUSTIN WEIRD tee shirts. Eclectic is the order of the day. Do not know how the U of Texas Longhorns students can study with all this distraction. We did several bars and music venues including some excellent blues/jazz in the Elephant Room.

Food was also excellent. The Iron Works, a BBQ joint, was the highlight. Texas dry rubbed beef/pork ribs. TO DIE FOR. Combine that with a Shiners Bock and/or a FLAT TIRE and I was in heaven.

The first pic is of Eric and his girlfriend. She's a U of Minnesota Senior--double major ART and Neuroscience.

The second is at Irons Works BBQ

The third of Chad at Iron Works doing some Texas Beef ribs.
1-09 087.jpg
1-09 092.jpg
1-09 093.jpg

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Sounds like a good trip. I've gotta get outta here! The last few days have been near record lows I believe. You should be grateful you missed it. :laugh:

OP
zaphod

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
San Antonio was also GREAT. We stayed by the Alamo/River Walk. Again great bars and music. Had an excellent steak dinner on the top of the Hemisphere tower. Many local beers on the River Walk. A private showing of the Alamo-- gratis - Cenex Harvest States. And did I mention-- more golf.

I went to THE QUARRY golf course. Got a deal at $45 with cart. Thanks to Jimmy, the concierge at the Contessa Hotel.

The Quarry was priced about right at $50. Good greens. A pedestrian front nine with wide fairways and large fast greens. The back nine was an old quarry from with the granite for the Capital in Austin was mined. Scenic and judicious use of space. Distance/direction control was at a premium. There were many doglegs with forced carrys and driving through the fairway was NOT good.

Here are a few pics.

First pic is the foursome I was in. From left to right John---a Texan with a dry cowboy humor. He could smack the ball 280 yard drive with a nice draw.
Sebastian--He was visiting from Holland. Excellent pitch and run game.
Yours Truly---Smiling because ITS WARM
Shawn-- The Quarry's teaching Pro--he had an incredible smooth swing.

2nd pic is quarry back nine.
3rd pic is pre-birdie. The ball on the left green is mine. First and ONLY birdie for me this trip.
4th sadly is 18th green and time to go home. Back to -25* in Wisconsin
1-09 096.jpg
1-09 100.jpg
1-09 106.jpg
1-09 110.jpg

Gregor

Jul 10, 2008
Did you play the Jimmy Clay course or Kizer? Kizer is "Texas links" style and is the newer and some think nicer of the two.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
The Quarry back nine was extremely interesting. Probably borders with Tobacco Road as being one of the more interesting courses I have ever played.

I think one of my favorite holes on the course was the one in the background on the hill in pictures two and three. #17 if memory serves me. Picture #4 may even be that green??? Very interesting tee shot. I think I was hitting right all day, as the way it circled it seemed to be the safest way, then off that I put one off the cliff side rocks. Then if I remember 18 was kind of a uphill approach on a par 5 and I put one about 2 inches away from eagle on my approach after laying up my second from a cliff edge and tree on the right???

Very interesting course I would recommend to anyone who visits San Antonio, and was recommend to me on here. I actually enjoyed it more than the La Cantera - Palmer Course which was close to double the costs. Although I think the reason La Cantera may be rated so well is that it plays like a Mountain Course IMO, which is unusual for Texas but what I am used too. I also didn't like all the blind shots at La Cantera. The Quarry was probably the favorite there I played, and they had just gone through some flooding so the back nine was not in the best of shape at the time.

OP
zaphod

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Did you play the Jimmy Clay course or Kizer? Kizer is "Texas links" style and is the newer and some think nicer of the two.

I played both and liked both equally. Price was right and both presented good golf in a Texas wind. Also VERY walkable courses. A rarity today. I left happy.

OP
zaphod

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
The Quarry back nine was extremely interesting. Probably borders with Tobacco Road as being one of the more interesting courses I have ever played.

I think one of my favorite holes on the course was the one in the background on the hill in pictures two and three. #17 if memory serves me. Picture #4 may even be that green??? Very interesting tee shot. I think I was hitting right all day, as the way it circled it seemed to be the safest way, then off that I put one off the cliff side rocks. Then if I remember 18 was kind of a uphill approach on a par 5 and I put one about 2 inches away from eagle on my approach after laying up my second from a cliff edge and tree on the right???

Very interesting course I would recommend to anyone who visits San Antonio, and was recommend to me on here. I actually enjoyed it more than the La Cantera - Palmer Course which was close to double the costs. Although I think the reason La Cantera may be rated so well is that it plays like a Mountain Course IMO, which is unusual for Texas but what I am used too. I also didn't like all the blind shots at La Cantera. The Quarry was probably the favorite there I played, and they had just gone through some flooding so the back nine was not in the best of shape at the time.

Very good value for Golf $. The course was in excellent shape. But indeed flooding can occur as it is built in the depths of a QUARRY. Yes I would play there again. Also I do not know if they allow walking but other that getting from the 9th green to the 10th tee it is very walkable. I bet that hole is HOT during the summer.

shank

Jan 16, 2008
Glad you liked the golf here in Tejas!

I'll bet I just missed you. The wife makes me take her shopping there all the time. Short of the traffic, it is a very nice course.

Members online