• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
ok ---since others have resisted I will break the ice.

I went to see AVATAR 3d version and loved it. The plot is adequate and predictable. Think "Dances With Wolves". But I did not care!!!! The visuals were spectacular and the movie feels good. The audience applauded at the end. A adventure in a fantasy world!!! ENTIRELY created and painted by the director. The Na'vi were CG blue creatures, not more alive than Shrek. But honestly, I was emotionally invested in the female Na'vi love interest. MAN HOW GEEKY IS THAT!!!!!!

A sampling of the World of Pandora left me wanting more.

Anyone else see the flick? Opinions???

Also the "Alice In Wonderland" trailer/ Johnny Depp was in 3D. The Cheshire Cat was KOOOOL. Anyone know if AIW will be a 3D flick?

The glasses make everyone look like Henry Kissinger. Too funny.

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
I was unimpressed.

The graphics and a couple of scenes were alright, but I didn't really leave the theatre 'wowed.'

I only saw it in Regular format, however.

Not worth the amount of coin that he put into it, for sure. But, for the $4 ticket price, it was entertaining enough for 2.5 hours.

3/5 in my book.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I have ZERO interest in Avatar. Not only would I have to be given a ticket for free, but I'd want at least $5 for my time. It's a movie that seems to be marketing its gimmick alone. We have neat graphics! Woooo. Sherlock Holmes looks INFINITELY better.

It doesn't help that the story of Avatar has been done three thousand times, from Pocahontas to Fern Gully. No thanks.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
One thing makes me wary of John's reviews & that's because he enjoyed Watchmen. I despised that movie.

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
The Mrs and I go to the local theater every other Friday....two weeks ago we saw Jim Carry's Christmas Carol which was crap. Good 3-D, but way too dark and morbid for any kid to watch...just dragged on.

Sure, the storyline was pretty predictable... but it was done in ways that I thought were truly impressive.

Remember, this movie was done in 1995 in the mind of Cameron...and he shelved it until technology caught up with his vision Which I assume this movie did....Even though tye movie went back and forth from reality to the planet...or, live camera work to computer graphics it worked seamlessly....I was shocked that even after a few minutes we could tell who all the Nu'Vi charactors were by their looks....the imagery was spectacular...best use of colors I've seen in any film.

It seems like every 20 years a new evolution in movie making occurs.....and this will be the benchmark of future films.

Funny thing, the other night local channel had Star Wars on HD...and I remember thinking that nothing would surpass that in terms of story, action and special effects.....now, when we saw it, it was almost laughable.

So, I am sure in 20 years, I'll look back and think the same about Avatar...but right now, there has never been anything quite like it.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I hope they don't over do it though & every single movie coming out will look just like it. By that I mean, look at the success of Toy Story & now we have 10 different Pixar style flicks coming out a month & the vast majority of them suck. Just recently we tried to watch Up & hated it. And even though it's not a Toy Story type of film G-Force with the talking rodents wasn't watchable either.

I want want well written, directed & acted movies by actual humans.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I hope they don't over do it though & every single movie coming out will look just like it. By that I mean, look at the success of Toy Story & now we have 10 different Pixar style flicks coming out a month & the vast majority of them suck. Just recently we tried to watch Up & hated it. And even though it's not a Toy Story type of film G-Force with the talking rodents wasn't watchable either.

I also HATED Watchmen.

But in reference to your animated movies... have you seen UP? It really was GREAT; I can't imagine a demographic that wouldn't enjoy it. GREAT for kids, and enough depth and humor for mature adults (and even you! :) ) to enjoy.

OP
zaphod

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
I accept the differences in our tastes----Up was a definite DOWN for me!! Ci la vie/garre:cool:

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007

Don't bother watching anything made my a major studio then... they have made this nearly impossible for at least the last 10-15 years. They are reaching for the lowest common denominator and geared towards having a big splash on opening weekend. About all I watch and enjoy anymore are the smaller independent or low budget studio movies -- they actually have a story, plot line and a lot of times good acting by actors you never or rarely heard of. I love having all the movie channels on cable so I can see movies that never saw the light of day in a theater or were shown one time at a 10:30pm screening in a small theater somewhere obscure.

I'm with you though. I wish Hollywood would go back to making real movies.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I'm with you though. I wish Hollywood would go back to making real movies.

Won't happen though, the studios have found out it's easier to pay an animator a small pittance compared to an actual actor.

OP
zaphod

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Wi-

you have discovered double edged sword of CGI characters. They never age but they never deviate from a formula. I the new age media I suspect we will have many many choices. Double edge sword again---how do I sort the wheat from the chaff?

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Wi-

you have discovered double edged sword of CGI characters. They never age but they never deviate from a formula. I the new age media I suspect we will have many many choices. Double edge sword again---how do I sort the wheat from the chaff?

Far too much chaff lately.

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online