• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Awesome, and pathetic

shane0mac1234

Jul 21, 2009
I wanted to share with you my awesome, yet pathetic story. July 4th weekend went out to hit the local course with my dad. Last hole on the front nine is a very short par 4, talkin like around 230-240. The last 3 holes I just finally started hitting my driver well so I decided to go with my 3 iron. On the green in one. First time aside from a par 3 this had ever happened and I was excited for a very difficult eagle putt. The excitement must have got to me because i over muscled the putt massively and left myself with a 15 foot birdie putt which I naturally missed and ended with only a par. This, was the awesomest, then the saddest hole of my life.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Keep playing, you'll have plenty more dissapointing holes, ;)

Nice drive though!!!!:thumbs up:

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Wait until you have an eagle putt and your next shot is a birdie chip. That was a real barrel of laughs. :biglol:

OP
S

shane0mac1234

Jul 21, 2009
Ha, yea trust me I had plenty of pathetic holes that day! Yea thats all my dad kept saying was "what a drive", at least I can look back on that fondly, but then naturally the finishing of the hole will bring anger my mind! I should have picked a less aggrivating hobby...

halifax_golfer

Jun 26, 2006
Nothing wrong with par,

Get used to hitting or being near par 4 greens and ending up with par still...

At my course there is a 280yrd par4 and a 270yrd par4, so I am on or near those greens almost every time I play... Birdie is still rare, but so is Bogey... Par is just fine and normal, get used to it.

There's something about those short par4's that will still get you even when you drive it right on em... Same goes for any bird putt though.

twogreen

Aug 7, 2006
If I could hit a 3 iron 230-240 I wouldn't care as much about the final stroke count. :D

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Just come to the realization that when you are playing for score it is all about playing the odds. We have a course that I play every week and have eagled a par 4 about 8 times. Probably would be around 15 to 20 if I still went for the green.

Although I have played the course several hundred times and have learned in going for the green it also resulted in a double bogie probably 10 times as many times for one of the easiest holes on the course.

I now simply lay up with a 7w, give myself a LW or XW to the green and am probably putting for birdie 3/4 of the time. BTW, there is a forced carry, otherwise I would lay up even shorter.

Eagles are nice and a once in a lifetime experience on certain holes, but after you do so realize that a birdie is better than double bogie, and even if you drive the green you will likely be facing a long putt and still be happy with birdie. Or choke on the crow of a double bogie.

OP
S

shane0mac1234

Jul 21, 2009
If I could hit a 3 iron 230-240 I wouldn't care as much about the final stroke count. :D

Ha, well hitting the ball far is about all I can do at the moment... sadly. Even more upsetting is the fact that the group ahead of me saw the shot and totally expected me to be awesome the rest of the round, they were proved wrong on the next 5 holes

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Birdie to bogey in three short putts is a journey we must all endure from time to time...

For some of us, "time to time" is approximately, though not exactly, the time it takes to exit one green and set foot on another.

niblick

Jun 13, 2007
Had a similar thing happen. #2 at Nile is a 237 par 4. Hooked my first ball into the trees with my hybrid. Hit a provisional with the same club, and smoked a beauty onto the green.

Then I found my first one. :facepalm:

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.