• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Awful quite around here regarding the NHL Playoffs

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Kinda surprised how quite it is around here regarding the NHL playoffs for the number of fans. I guess it is still early, but may as well start it up.

Doing so simply because the way the Caps have looked the two games, and for what they have allowed to happen, their season should and will be over on Saturday unless they seriously change their way of thinking.

Watching the last two games I see one thing that has stood out more than anything else, and I actually think it may be the difference in the series. Philadelphia has repeatedly taken runs at Huet. Don't get me wrong, this is in no way sour grapes and criticizing the ref's or even indicating that the Flyers are playing dirty. This is saying that if the Caps intend to play hockey in the NHL, they need to grow some stones and protect their goalie. It is entirely their fault for allowing it to happen. It is no wonder he got lit up last night for 5 goals, really only 4 considering one was a penalty shot and the 6th was an empty netter. I saw them take runs at him at least 3 times in game 2 and another 2-3 yesterday. On one occasion when Huet got the penalty for retaliating, there was a Caps player just standing there watching this happen, until he decided it was no longer interesting and skated off. Maybe things have changed in the NHL, but I always thought when a player took a run at your goalie, he should get tuned up on the spot. On the fifth or sixth occasion (never should reach that point), he should be leaving the ice on a stretcher.

Then when tensions did rise, it is likely their better defenders and goal scorers that actually did something (Green), and well after the fact. Then to compound the issue, WTF are they thinking by having Ovechkin serve the slashing penalty to have him and Green in the box at the same time? I guess maybe they figured since they really weren't utilizing him in the last 2 games, actually 3 if you consider his goal in game one was the result of a turnover, they may as well put him in the penalty box. At least he is safe in there and they don't have to worry about having to protect him as well. Green could serve as his bodyguard against the Philadelphia fans.

Just seems like getting into the playoffs was their only intent for the season. I know if they continue to let the Flyers make runs at Huet, they deserve to lose. You certainly can't fault Huet, as he seems to be the only one out there that will do anything about the issue. In the same sense, while I think Ovechkin took a dive when Umberger went toe to toe with Ovechkin, watching the replay I'm not certain the intent wasn't there, and the Caps did nothing. You have your franchise rolling around on the ground from the hit, and do nothing. Actually probably wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't Ovechkin intent to spark some interest, unfortunately it seemed like the Caps cared very little.

End rant.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
The Habs-Bruins have been beating the crap out of each other... very physical, very playoff type hockey. I am liking it so far :D

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I have done enough skating with my vehicle this winter, the last thing i want to see right now is ice...in any form...i didnt even put it in my scotch last night...

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
I was estatic after game 1, but these last 2 games have been dreadful.

I agree that Huet has been getting psyched out with the repeated shots. But what i feel is that the caps have looked very sloppy. It all starts when they give up an unlucky goal, and then they just give up.

I also think that the exciting run to the playoffs is killing them. They feel that they have already accomplished their goal for the year, so its importance is very small.

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
I agree with everything Jayhawk, 100%.

Even in a Midget game, they took one run at our goalie, me and another guy put the dude on his ass faster than our goalie knew what happened. You can't let that fly, risk getting a 2 minute penalty at the safety of your goalie? I wouldn't resist for a second.

The lack of intensity combined with poor coaching skills on Washington's end is what's putting them straight into the gutter.

Now, the San Jose and Calgary series along with the Detroit and Nashville series is what hockeys all about. I usually don't agree with Tootoo's antics, as I know first hand what kind of person he is outside of the NHL scene, combined with his on the ice idiotics, he's just an idiot in my book, but come play off time, he serves his purpose so well. Shakes up the other team, makes them take stupid penalty's and still provide an offensive push. I forget which game it was, or even which period, but he scored a goal, absolutely levelled Chelios and started a scrum that resulted in a powerplay for his team. That is playing your role.

That San Jose and Calgary game last night? Absolutely poor coaching. I couldn't believe it. Calgary could have avoided those scrambles in their end, by playing the body harder. But I can't blame 'em, Thornton is a tank.

I can't even say anything about Ottawa, I was pulling for them at the start of the playoffs, but they went straight to the gutter. Spezza, Heatley and Alfredsson lost whatever they had this year.

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Go Sharks.
I am more of a Mahi~Mahi fan, but I do like the occasional grilled Shark. :D :shark:

Do you mean "quiet"?
Sure, but Quit may work in this case as well

The Habs-Bruins have been beating the crap out of each other... very physical, very playoff type hockey. I am liking it so far :D
Maybe the Caps coach can watch this series learn a thing or two. Possibly use Brashear for something other than goals and assists.

I have done enough skating with my vehicle this winter, the last thing i want to see right now is ice...in any form...i didnt even put it in my scotch last night...
No better way to ruin a good Scotch, not that I am a big fan of Scotch
im not thats why im so quit :killersmiley:DAMN HABS
Save some for the Caps, if they don't turn it around they will need this to put them out of their misery. :D

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I was estatic after game 1, but these last 2 games have been dreadful.

I agree that Huet has been getting psyched out with the repeated shots. But what i feel is that the caps have looked very sloppy. It all starts when they give up an unlucky goal, and then they just give up.

I also think that the exciting run to the playoffs is killing them. They feel that they have already accomplished their goal for the year, so its importance is very small.
No question the Caps have been sloppy, but looking at the turn of events I can't help but think the goals where usually a result of players taking a run at Huet. There have been 3 cases where he literally had a player on top of him while he was trying to protect the net.

Even in a Midget game, they took one run at our goalie, me and another guy put the dude on his ass faster than our goalie knew what happened. You can't let that fly, risk getting a 2 minute penalty at the safety of your goalie? I wouldn't resist for a second.

The lack of intensity combined with poor coaching skills on Washington's end is what's putting them straight into the gutter.
While I never played hockey, I was a Goalie in Soccer for about 25 years. While as a goalie in Soccer you can get away with bloody murder. Unfortunately they don't have the same convenience in hockey. Even on the Soccer field where something would happen and I could not handle my own or a cheap shot would occur, it almost came to fist fights which is very rare on the Pitch. To me, being a goalie is all about confidence, when you are in a position where you can do nothing and your team does nothing as well. It will either get really ugly, or it will be a blow~out. The Caps need to realize in this series that the next time it happens there either needs to be "Plasma on the ice", or they have no one to blame but themselves. A 2-minute power play is a small price to pay to give your goalie and team confidence. Even if it means they should get a goal on the powerplay.

They likely have already have given up 3-4 by making their goalie a sitting duck.

edit 1 - actually one thing I should note from watching the Philly broadcast, there was actually word prior to game 3 that the Caps said they were going to make a run on the Philly goaltender (according to the Philly announcers). So either they were all talk, or simply changed their mind. Can't help but think Huet payed the price as a result.

Not that I give alot of credence to Philadelphia hockey announcers, as they are some of the biggest most biased GOMERS you will ever find in any sport anywhere. I pray for the day that Al Morganti gives up his other resources to be an announcer for the Flyers.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Not that I give alot of credence to Philadelphia hockey announcers, as they are some of the biggest most biased GOMERS you will ever find in any sport anywhere. I pray for the day that Al Morganti gives up his other resources to be an announcer for the Flyers.

We are lucky enough up here in VT to get CBC.... I'd hate to have to watch the NESN broadcast of the Habs-Bruins. It was rough down in FL when I could only get one game on Versus... usually the Wings or Pens

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I am a huge Philly fan and like the way this is going so far. We are a little sloppy defensively but really seem to be playing aggressively which imo can make up for a lot of other sins on a hockey rink. Ovechkin is a lazy floating cherry picker. Great offensive player buy other than that you can keep him. To compare him to Crosby is an insult to Crosby as far as I am concerned.

Montreal looked awful last night. Price looked like one of our pick up goalies after he had 8 beers pre game. Montreal needs to win game 6 or they will lose this series in seven.

No repeat for the ducks. I just don't see the desire this year.

Sharks are starting to wake up and could pose a real problem for everyone as the playoffs progress.

Been some very good hockey far and I hope to see more of it.

I need to ask what everyone thinks is the problem with Ottawa? I look at the talent on that club and the start they had and can come to no other conclusion than they have a huge case of dressing room cancer. So with that, who are the players causing the soup to spoil?

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
You are right, Philly is just playing a much more physical game and it has been the difference in the series. Ovechkin just looks snake bit in this series. While having seen him enough times, I think he is the real deal, but in this series I would likely say even Brashear has even played better hockey than him, or many of their other players for that matter. While I get pissed ever time they have Ovechkin serve their penalties, at this point he may be of the least value to that line. Actually Kozlov has looked probably the best.

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
The problem with Ottawa, IMO, is that they don't really have any grinders that can throw hits, make the big checks, gain some momentum, but not pose a defensive risk. That's what you need to play against Crosby, oh, Emery in net would have helped too, no doubt in my mind.

Members online

No members online now.