• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Back at the lab...I feel the need for speed!

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
OK, so here's me hitting a driver and 6 iron to some lovely music. I have slowed it down, but really I need some tips to improve my club head speed. I used to hit my 6 iron 165 yards a few years ago. Now I'm at about 155 yards. Driver not so bad (230-240), but would welcome picking up a few extra yards. Getting older and had a few medical incidents slowing me down, but no matter what I try I can't seem to swing any faster. Maybe I need some gym work, but would welcome any advice, not just on increasing speed, but any other feedback.

Thanks
IG

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
United States United States
Ok then consider the shaft. Between the grip and the tip is a lot of hidden head speed people dont use because their shaft is too stiff and they dont fully load the shaft... Kbs tour regular flex may help. And they are lower torque than the dg from true temper. If your swing has slowed or if you cant turn as you once did I could see it working better for you.

MarkFed

Jun 17, 2013
New England
Country
OK, so here's me hitting a driver and 6 iron to some lovely music. I have slowed it down, but really I need some tips to improve my club head speed. I used to hit my 6 iron 165 yards a few years ago. Now I'm at about 155 yards. Driver not so bad (230-240), but would welcome picking up a few extra yards. Getting older and had a few medical incidents slowing me down, but no matter what I try I can't seem to swing any faster. Maybe I need some gym work, but would welcome any advice, not just on increasing speed, but any other feedback.

Thanks
IG
Hey IG...for whatever it's worth, here's what I see.
On your take away, you get the club a little outside the target line and then lift it up quickly (which to me doesn't matter that much). You also have a little sway on the way back, more so with your driver than the 6 iron. You seem to get to a great position at the top of your swing.
And you seem to get the club on a good plane at the start of your down swing.
I think you do a good job at the beginning of your down swing with your hip action, but the rotation seems to slow down in the impact area. I would say to try to get your belt buckle around half way or a little less than half way to your target at impact.
Also, from the down the line view, I noticed that once you make contact, your club almost immediately goes to the left. I would suggest trying to keep it going down your target line a little longer after impact.
I used to tell my students that for more distance, they needed to swing "quicker" not "harder". In order to do that, it's a quicker rotation of the body and the ability to still be able to square the club face in the impact area.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Thanks guys for the feedback; I switched to regular shafts a few months ago, KBS Tours from Rifle 5.5s. To be honest I haven't found a huge difference.

It's starting the downswing with the hips not the arms, I just need a few drills to help me to work on to increase speed and not lose power.

Hard work this is!

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
I find that making a point to think about the hips screws me up. When i'm hitting it best in all ways (good contact,distance, and directional) there are a couple things that happen and they all lead into each other kind of. I stay one piece and limit the wrist action (this alone almost forces you to swing with your core), I'm keeping my tempo in check (because a violent transition is usually counterproductive to speed), and for irons I try to always hit down on the ball (contact at like 6:28 or so. Sometimes 6:25 if i'm trying to keep it down). I think of it like being a wrecking ball and making the peak of the speed and power happen at impact with a golf ball. Now granted, I suck because my putting and short game lack and i've been eratic off the tee, but I do strike the ball pretty well with irons and hit the ball a pretty good distance and that's how I do it.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
I find that making a point to think about the hips screws me up. When i'm hitting it best in all ways (good contact,distance, and directional) there are a couple things that happen and they all lead into each other kind of. I stay one piece and limit the wrist action (this alone almost forces you to swing with your core), I'm keeping my tempo in check (because a violent transition is usually counterproductive to speed), and for irons I try to always hit down on the ball (contact at like 6:28 or so. Sometimes 6:25 if i'm trying to keep it down). I think of it like being a wrecking ball and making the peak of the speed and power happen at impact with a golf ball. Now granted, I suck because my putting and short game lack and i've been eratic off the tee, but I do strike the ball pretty well with irons and hit the ball a pretty good distance and that's how I do it.
That was one of your more eloquent writings. I went and got some fried grits and read it twice.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Maybe flatten the backswing a couple of degrees IG. It looks like you might be a smidgen steep on the backswing but you then drop it in nicely on the through swing.

Having said that I have no credentials as a golf coach therefore my comments should be taken as akin to a lunatic howling at a full moon. :ninja:

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.