• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Back from Iraq

twelvegage

live life. love life.
Jan 18, 2008
First off, I don't know if this is the right forum for this, if not, mods please move it.

Well, we landed on American soil 8 days ago on the 10th of June! It feels so great to be back in Washington, although it will feel even better to be back in Texas in about a month when I get out of the army. My wife and daughter came up on the 11th and left yesterday, and my daughter is 8 and a half months old, I was only there to see her be born so it's amazing at how big she is now, she was crawling all over the place.

Anyways, the reason I was posting this in this forum is because yesterday I went and got me some clubs! They're some cheapies, but they should be fine for getting me started, I didn't want to break the bank when just starting out, however, I do feel that I got decent enough quality for what I paid.

Apparently nobody opens up at 9 am here in Washington because me and my buddy were looking for a place for him to buy some shirts around then, and they were all closed, however, Pro Golf was open, so we went in there and looked around. I've been contemplating for a while now if I should buy my clubs here and then take them home with me, or just wait. I couldn't wait. (I do still have the clubs that Slingblade and mdubbya got me, I just shipped them to my wife in TX) So I walk in and when I ask the fellow that works there, he tells me they don't carry used clubs but they have some great deals. He goes on to tell me they have a full iron set for 150, so naturally I think they're some store brand clubs, turns out they're Adams Golf, just the entry GT500 model. Well, they feel alright took a couple cuts and I think they'll be fine. Then I move on to drivers. I swung a variety of different drivers however, I was trying to stay cheap so the ones I swung the most were the Adams Insight and the Nickent 3DX. I was just hitting into a net so I couldn't tell you how far or exactly how straight or not straight, but I just felt like I was absolutely puring the 3DX and couldn't do anything with the Insight. So I'm a square =] Next I went and checked out the putters, and I already had a Nike Ignite mallet putter in Iraq that I shipped back to TX so I wanted to try out a blade putter. Me and my buddy tried out most of them they had on the little green, and the one me and him both did the best with was some Tommy Armour that just so happened to be on sale for 50 bucks! So I snagged that one up. Last thing up was woods, but I just honestly couldn't go out and afford to go buy nice, or even for that matter 2, I was approaching my "limit" I had set in my head. So I just got some little cheapo 5 wood, it's called Precise =/ I did however hit it better than the Nike Sasquatch 5 wood. So that was all the clubs I was getting, so I went on over and got me a little cheap Bennington stand bag for I think 60 or 70 bucks, got a glove and some tees and my total price after everything came out to 450, which I think for brand new clubs wasn't too bad of a deal. I'm sure I'll end up doing some more buying, but I'm just glad I now have a base to work off of, if you understand what I mean.

So me and two of my buddies are probably going to go today to a course that's nearby that one of them knows a guy so we can pay 12 dollars and "golf all day", and that sounds pretty sweet to me. Also, I don't really have to go to work until Monday now that we're done with our re-processing back in to the post, so we might go check out some other courses. I'm so stoked about this today, we have a "barracks meeting" at noon, so we're not going to go until after that, but the weather up here in Washington is PERFECT. It's been sunny and right at 70 degrees (dipping as low as 50, not so perfect) the past 2 days, so hopefully it maintains throughout the weekend.

Oh, on a sidenote, I also swung the Taylormade Burner driver and that thing was a dream! I'm hooked on that driver! The price however would've put it at nearly what I paid for everything yesterday, lol, and there's no way I could justify that to my wife =[ Thanks and God bless to anyone who actually reads this entire novel!

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
Welcome home, and thank you for serving for us!!

Now, get out and use those new clubs!!

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Welcome home.:)

Thank you!:usflag:

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Glad to have you back. The Burner is calling you.....

(And me too!)

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Welcome back and thank you!

Now the important stuff... ;) You did great with the club pick-ups. The Adams irons and Nickent driver are solid choices. Good luck getting out on the course to use them the next few days. Btw, check out local military courses (if there are any). The military courses have sliding fees based on rank. Back in the day, as an E5, all day play with a cart was only $20!

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Welcome home. Looks like well thought out choices for clubs. Hope the gold brings some well desired relaxation and peace with the world.

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
Welcome home, and thank you for all that you have done for us and the sacrifices that you made. Get out and play, but more importantly, spend some quality time with your family, I hope the month passes quickly.

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
welcome back and thanks to you and all the others making the sacrifice for the rest of us.:usflag:

sounds like you did a very good job at picking out a complete set.for the total you stuck to you did a great job getting quality in your bag good luck on the course.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Welcome home, and thank you for serving for us!!

Now, get out and use those new clubs!!

How can you put it any better?
icon14.gif

🔥 Latest posts