• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Back From Scotland

twogreen

Aug 7, 2006
Some will remember that I posted in July that an old Army buddy and I were planning a September trip to England and Scotland. Owing to non-availability of military aircraft to England, that part of the trip got scrubbed; but we did make it to Germany and Scotland.

We played a round at Ramstein AFB and another at Heidelberg Golf Club while in Germany before moving on to Scotland.

We visited most of the "name" courses while in Scotland; but only played three rounds while there. Two rounds were played at Charleton Golf Club and one round at Crail Golfing Society's Balcomie Links. St. Andrews was hosting a two week conference for the Royal and Ancient Golf Society, so play was closed to non-society members. We inquired about play at Royal Troon; but quickly decided that $440 for green fees could be better spent elsewhere.

I will not get into great detail in this post; because I will be doing another post with pictures and specifics in the picture section of the forum when I have downloaded and resized everything.

I must say one thing here, though. We were looking forward to golfing in Scotland for months before the trip; and the golf was, indeed, great. However, the golfing experience was secondary to the friendships we made with many of the locals we met. I traveled to many countries during my 30 years of Army service and met people from all over the world. Simply put, the Scots are the friendliest, most out going group of people I have ever met in all my travels.

dukejh12

May 19, 2007
awesome, cant wait for the pics. This is one thing I want to do before my time comes :)

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
the Scots are the friendliest, most out going group of people I have ever met in all my travels.

Sounds great, but you do know of course that the Irish taught the Scots everything they know, except that "wearing a skirt" thing!!

OP
twogreen

twogreen

Aug 7, 2006
Sounds great, but you do know of course that the Irish taught the Scots everything they know, except that "wearing a skirt" thing!!

:laugh: Yeah, after posting my remark, I realized I should have included a caveat that "all my travels" have not yet included Ireland. Alert your neighbors...the Yanks may be coming next year. :)

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
Scots, Irish and people from the north of England are some of the nicest people in the world, FACT.
Glad you enjoyed your trip to Scotland, did you enjoy the rain?

OP
twogreen

twogreen

Aug 7, 2006
Scots, Irish and people from the north of England are some of the nicest people in the world, FACT.
Glad you enjoyed your trip to Scotland, did you enjoy the rain?

Adam,
Based upon our experience, I certainly would agree with your statement.

The Man upstairs must have been looking out for us regarding the rain. We played a few holes of golf in very light drizzle; but didn't have significant rain until our last day in Scotland. Fortunately, we were only driving around for last minute sight-seeing on that day.

All-in-all it was a very enjoyable trip...much too short, though.

John

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
If light drizzle is the worst you got,you did very well. My family came for a two week trip to scotland, we returned soon after and have stayed 4 years :)

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online