• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Back from the edge.

Chuck

Good grief.
Feb 20, 2024
Western New York
Country
United States United States
Hello all. Returning to the game after an extended break. I am 56 and have been playing golf since the early 1970's. Five years ago this month, February 2019, as a pedestrian I was struck by a very drunk driver in an SUV. He fled the scene leaving me laying alongside the road bleeding into my brain almost half an hour before help arrived. He was later caught with a 0.19% BAC and sent to prison. I went into a trauma ward with serious injuries. Multiple skull fractures, broken cheekbone, broken nose, broken teeth, broken shoulder, broken hip, musceloskeletal damage to both legs from the waist to the ankles. I was a mess. I spent a month in a coma and five months in the hospital. Because of auditory nerve damage I have a condition known as hyperacusis and tinnitus. Everything is very loud harsh and distorted plus there is a constant static noise that only I can hear. I still attend physical therapy several times per week and it has helped quite a bit. My golf game will never be back where it was, upper 70's/low 80's but I am looking forward to getting back on a course again this year. I am starting literally from square one all over again. I have been to a driving range a few times last year and although I have trouble seeing where my ball went because a broken left eye orbit disrupted all those little muscles that move the eye so my peripheral vision is pretty much not there anymore I shall manage and continue to improve. I am disabled now but it could certainly have been worse. I am still here ;) Chuck

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Holy moly, what an introduction! Well, glad you were able to recover and get back in the saddle. Welcome to the forum!

OP
Chuck

Chuck

Good grief.
Feb 20, 2024
Western New York
Country
Holy moly, what an introduction! Well, glad you were able to recover and get back in the saddle. Welcome to the forum!
Recover? Ha! More like learn to cope. Tomorrow I will head over to the indoor golf range inflatabubble and hit some balls. It has been over a year now since I hit a bucket of balls so I am looking forward to it. ~Chuck

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Recover? Ha! More like learn to cope.

I hear ya! Both my retinas detached and one of my eyes was so bad they permanently sewed a scleral buckle around my eyeball. It makes my vision 20/200 in that one eye and I have to wear a special contact. It took a while but I was able to read greens again despite everything looking kinda skewed. Our brains find a way.

OP
Chuck

Chuck

Good grief.
Feb 20, 2024
Western New York
Country
I hear ya! Both my retinas detached and one of my eyes was so bad they permanently sewed a scleral buckle around my eyeball. It makes my vision 20/200 in that one eye and I have to wear a special contact. It took a while but I was able to read greens again despite everything looking kinda skewed. Our brains

I hear ya! Both my retinas detached and one of my eyes was so bad they permanently sewed a scleral buckle around my eyeball. It makes my vision 20/200 in that one eye and I have to wear a special contact. It took a while but I was able to read greens again despite everything looking kinda skewed. Our brains find a way.
Indeed! There is certainly a will, just need to trailblaze a way. Baby steps at first but I WILL improve. ~Chuck

OP
Chuck

Chuck

Good grief.
Feb 20, 2024
Western New York
Country
Thank you! I plan on easing into my '24 season by hitting a few buckets of balls at our local indoor golf dome driving range. Nothing fancy but it's a start.

Members online

No members online now.