• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Backspin like the pros...

AaA

Feb 22, 2005
I'm sure this has quite a bit to do with the level of expereince, but generally speaking, what is the appropriate forumula for putting backspin on the ball. Now, when I say backspin, I mean the kind that lands on the green and comes back several feet.

Also, I recently saw Tiger in the Buick produce a very low shot from approx 100-130 yds (could be more, I'm just guessing) where the ball bounced a few times on the green and completely checked and came back a bit. Is this the same principle?

Thanks!

-AAA

nsherman2006

Jan 4, 2005
what you have to do is hit down on the ball.....meaning your club reaches it's lowest point after it has made contact with the ball. Remember, hit the little ball before the big ball. You want the sensation of trapping the ball between your clubface and the ground, squueking it and applying backspin. Kinda hard to explain, but really, backspin isn't necessary, as it's hard to predict unless your swing is incredibly consistant. I'd rather have my ball constantly land and roll 15 feet forward than sometimes check, sometimes spin back 10 feet, and sometimes come back 5, backspin manages to complicate things, so i wouldn't worry about it until you have grooved a consistent swing and probably carry a single-digit handicap. JMO. Neal

nsherman2006

Jan 4, 2005
oh, and forgot one thing. Backspin is caused by two things: hitting down on the ball, and loft. Combine the two and you can have some pretty impressive(albeit unpredictable) results

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
Don't forget that ball type has a huge influence on the amount of backsping you generate.

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
Here's what you need for backspin:
- clubface completely clean, with clean grooves
- ball that spins
- drive on the ball. Hit the ball first, then the turf. The longer the ball stays on the clubface, the more backspin it will impart.

Punch shots creates lots of backspin.

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
ive had 2 shots in my life spin back the first i didnt see it the other guy up by the green told me about it.at the time i hit a sw and was using a balata ball. the second time it probably cost me a hole in one( a pw and pro v1).it was fun night for the league we were playing from the ladies tees about a100 maybe 110.the ball landed about 10 feet short of the pin bounced twice and everybody in the group of 6 (its fun night so no harm only league members)was sayin its goin in then the darn thing backed up 6 feet.worst time for backspin to kick in.i was expectin the 5` release.

OP
A

AaA

Feb 22, 2005
Neal,

I'm not too worried about incorporating this type of shot. I was just curious. You're right, though. Unpredictability is not what you want.

I also had no idea ball types made that big of a difference. That's interesting to know...

Once again, thanks for the quick replies! It's nice to know there are others out there willing to avoid work to browse the golf forums!

AAA

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
youngun5 said:
blades produce more spin than cavity backs also

Are you sure about that? My understanding was it had more to do with the grooves, contact point, swing path, and ball type as opposed to style of clubhead.

S

spankdoggie

youngun5 said:

I doubt that youngun.

Also, backspin is useless for all of us. You don't want backspin; you want to be close to the hole. I was watching the PGA tour this past weekend and someone nailed it to 4 feet of the pin and it backspinned to the edge of the green...

Backspin is cute, but you never see it, and that is not the reason for your distance from the hole. But then AA, you were just asking from a curiosity standpoint... :)

JasonMacIsaac

Titleist and Cleveland
Feb 23, 2005
spankdoggie said:
I doubt that youngun.

Also, backspin is useless for all of us. You don't want backspin; you want to be close to the hole. I was watching the PGA tour this past weekend and someone nailed it to 4 feet of the pin and it backspinned to the edge of the green...

Backspin is cute, but you never see it, and that is not the reason for your distance from the hole. But then AA, you were just asking from a curiosity standpoint... :)
Wrong.....people couldn't judge the greens at the Nissan but in general back spin is very usefull. It takes away the danger in front of the green. You often see Woods and Mickelson fly it 15 feet past the pin and bring is back. Especially at the tourney like the masters. The more you can spin the ball the better on long courses with hard greens. PGA Championship usually sets up with long courses and if you can spin the ball like tiger a 7 iron over a bunker to a tucked pin becomes much easier.

OP
A

AaA

Feb 22, 2005
Interesting points of view. I would have to agree that for most of us, backspin is not the right type of shot. It just adds another unpredictable variable which doesn't improve anyones game. But a good point, nonetheless.

mediaguru

Feb 13, 2005
The average amateur is short on approach shots. Backspin would make that worse. Don't forget that the greens at LaCosta are extremely soft. When the ball hits it will often bounce backward. I've had spin so bad....one time on a very steep hole I was 100 yards out. I hit the center of the green, ball spun back and rolled right back to me. 100 yards of backspin.... Have you ever hit a 100 yard shot to the center of the green and had another 100 yard shot? Most amateurs don't need spin, then need run.

690.CB

Feb 26, 2005
youngun5 said:

This is actually correct. The basic reason for this is because blades tend to be forged and have a softer face, the longer the ball stays on the face the more spin will be applied.

I played blades for 10 years and used to get 10ft+ back spin quite regularly. Now I play 690.CB cavity blades I still get back spin pretty easily but not as much.

Obviously ball type and player ability are bigger factors than the type of club head being used though.

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
Interesting, although with that theory, a forged cavity would be similar to a blade, no?

🔥 Latest posts