• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Bad day, great round (fairly long)

jc@bg

Style guru
Sep 10, 2004
Yesterday was one to remember, since the high was 43F, no mowing for the past month, and I had my best round of the year.

Never expected it, but things just fell into place. Put together another new driver last week, and it might be "the one." 12 degree Bang-o-Matic with Prolaunch 55 shaft at 46". First hole is shortish par 5: good drive, solid 5-wood, lob wedge to 6 feet, draino. Parred the second after a decent drive, 3 iron to the back of the green (uphill and into a 15 mph wind, at 38*F), and a just-missed 24-footer. Then had my first birdie in 3 months at the 565-yd. third hole: driver, 2 iron, and 6 iron directly over the top of a mature hickory tree (and over 2 lakes) to 8 feet, then draino. Fairways and greens the rest of the front side, marred only by a 3 putt from 50 feet (uphill and shaggy) on the 5th, but saved by great chips from short of the green on the 8th and 9th.

Got behind a slower group on the back nine and kind of lost my tempo, but scraped it around till I left approach shots and chips short on two consecutive, long par 4s into the wind, making me 1 over par. On the 17th, a par 5 uphill and directly into a cold NE wind, put my drive in a fairway bunker on the corner, then had to wait 10 mins while the group in front dug balls out of the creek. Medium sized tree 30 feet in front of me, directly in line with the green, and a creek about 150 out. Hit a low draw around the tree with a 7-iron from hard-packed (wet) sand, stopping 20 feet short of the creek on a downslope. Waited another 5 minutes for the group ahead to finish, then swept a low draw with a 2-iron under the wind from 175 out, just bumping up a steep slope and onto the front of the green. With wet turf, cold, wind, a downslope lie, and a long delay, probably my best shot of the year. Left the birdie putt just short, but made a routine par on the finishing hole and was more than happy to card a 73. Had the fast pace of the front nine been possible on the back...? I've never shot under par on that course, and to do so in December? THAT would have been memorable, but I'm still pleased.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Super job cg....

I am always proud when I go low in the winter. My scores are already going up and it really pisses me off that I cannot seem to overcome the winter conditions better...

Great score.....

The master

Oct 24, 2004
I play my best golf in rain and cold I don't know why I am a good winter golfer after my 71 yesterday my confidence is restored after the gut renching lose to IG.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
I'd be happy to card a 73 under any circumstances. An 83 would ok too. Nice round, especially under the conditions. :D

Hey Sling, thanks for remembering. :miz:

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I love living vicariously thru all your guys.

(Bastards!) ;)

R35

The master

Oct 24, 2004
We are having a heat wave it ha been perfect conditions from last wedensday apart from yesterday a bit of rain and a bit cold I would hate to not to be able to play golf untill, when is it the snow melts.

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
Great round JC. It's always memorable to be in the zone and play as if golf was second nature. And of course, the best shot of the day is better than any birdie. :p

🔥 Latest posts