• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Bad Fan Behavior

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Justin Thomas Helps Eject Fan After 'Inappropriate' Remark | Golf Channel

I can see Justin Thomas becoming a target of more drunken morons in future. The guy has done nothing wrong except call out really bad behavior.

I see there was a Bear Trap “Party Tent” at 17. That was never going to end well. Apparently morons were mistiming their “bubba booey" and calling out during the backswing.

C’mon PGA Tour. Get tough on the tourney organisers to stamp out this crap.

Last edited:

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
^^^^^^^^
Totally agree!! Golf tournaments should not be WWE events! NASCAR fans love the crashes. Football fans love to hear the sound of bodies colliding at breakneck speed. NHL fans live for the fist fights on ice. Golf, OTOH, is supposed to be the "gentleman's " sport. The PGA probably won't do anything. They make too much money off the beer tents. All professional sports, PGA included, are begging for attendance numbers. So, they will tolerate... even encourage... misbehavior if it generates dollars. Sad.......

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
I see nothing wrong with the loud cheers and roars heard across the entire course when someone makes a big putt. Or groans when the putt to win lips out. Sure in my mind that's all good sportsmanship. I'd be cheering as loud as I could for my favourite player too.

I do have a problem with wishing ill will towards someone in the midst of competition. Especially these guys playing on golf's biggest stage. And this shouting "get in the hole" for a tee shot on a 590 par 5... Common! Something needs to be done reign this in. Good on JT for removing a problem!!

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
PGA Tour should hire Steve Williams to handle this problem. He busted a few cameras and chewed a few a$$es when he was looping for Tiger.

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I don't get it. In my country, we have our share of drunk d!ckheads at golf events. Thankfully it's in the (very small) minority and most get ejected the moment they start annoying people. But anyone shouting out "bubba booey", "mashed potato" etc would risk getting pounded by other spectators.

When I watch the PGA Tour coverage, the ground mics seem to pick up the calling out of drunken d!ckheads more and more. I know the ground mics can be misleading as to the true state of affairs but it gives the impression that this behaviour is on the increase at events. It gives the impression that 98% are drunkenly shouting "bubba booey" etc.

The PGA Tour needs to grow a pair and do something about it.

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Rory wades in.

“Rory McIlroy suggested Saturday that the PGA Tour might need to consider curbing alcohol sales to stop some of the abusive fan behavior that has become more prevalent at events.

McIlroy said that a fan repeatedly yelled his wife’s name (Erica) during the third round at the Arnold Palmer Invitational.”

Rory McIlroy: Time for PGA Tour to limit alcohol sales on course | Golf Channel

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
Rory wades in.

“Rory McIlroy suggested Saturday that the PGA Tour might need to consider curbing alcohol sales to stop some of the abusive fan behavior that has become more prevalent at events.

McIlroy said that a fan repeatedly yelled his wife’s name (Erica) during the third round at the Arnold Palmer Invitational.”

I think Rory might be on to something. Some ass hat was following him around, yelling his wife’s name?? Saturday at Bay Hill. That’s just ridiculous. Regardless of Sunday’s outcome.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Rory wades in.

Better than his wife repeatedly yelling the fan's name.........

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Sergio gets a moron ejected.

“The guy obviously was shouting not very nice things at me. So I pointed him out to my [police] officer and then he decided to get him out of the course because he was being disrespectful not only to me but to everyone around,” said Garcia following his Day 2 match, a 2-up victory over Dylan Frittelli.”

Fan Ejected for Heckling Sergio Garcia | Golf Channel

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I'll bet money alcohol sales are a pretty solid part of income at tournaments considering the mark up I saw at the US Open. Drunk people spend money...not only on more drinks, but also on $130 tee shirts and $150 polo shirts.

Kicking people out that cause a disturbance is obviously the solution. Curbing the alcohol sales just isn't going to happen IMO.

This isn't even considering the logistics of trying to still sell alcohol but not over serve certain people. A punch card maybe? lol

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
An idiot calls out during Tiger’s backswing on 18 tee in R4 of the Open. This calling out sh1t must be stopped!

Short of not allowing any spectators on the course, you're not going to stop it. The worst you can do is remove them from the property, and if they're ready to leave anyway, that's not much of a deterrent.

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Short of not allowing any spectators on the course, you're not going to stop it. The worst you can do is remove them from the property, and if they're ready to leave anyway, that's not much of a deterrent.

The culture has to be turned around. The fact that people turn up to an event thinking it’s okay to do that is what needs to be changed.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online