• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Bad news; good news

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Bad news: My wife put an old car battery that I had lying around in the garage for a while in the trunk of my car. I knew she did this because she told me 'I'm going to put that battery in the car and take it down to NAPA'. I said, OK, go for it.

Weeks later, I throw my clubs in the trunk, didn't really look around in there, didn't notice anything awry.

Last week, Thursday night I go to the car to get out my bag and make sure everything is ready for my company golf outing the next day. Make sure I have enough balls/tees/glove/towel/etc. I open the trunk and something's not right. Weir smell, and there's a liquid in the 'all seasons' mat that is in the trunk.

Then it hits me....that's battery acid. The battery that my wife told me she was taking to NAPA never got removed from the trunk, tipped over, and leaked acid all over. My clubs are sitting in it. The acid basically ate away my Sun Mountain Four5 bag. Corroded the living hell out of any club that touched it which was all my irons. Driver, 3w, putter and 52º wedge are good.

TLDR: Wife spilled battery acid all over my bag/clubs, and my irons/wedges/bag are ruined.

Good news: I'm going to be buying a new set of irons! I want new wedges too.

What I had: MacGregor 'players' style forged cavity back with Nippon shafts. I don't remember the absolute specifics of them, but I bought them from a member here a while back. Really enjoyed them and liked the way they felt.

What should I get now? Irons I will buy factory built, wedges I'll probably build. I had Maltby before and liked them.

I'd like to stick to a players style cavity with a thin top line. I'd love to keep the Nippons as well, but I'm not sure how likely that is without getting them custom built. I'm fine with used or new, but want to keep the price out of 4 digit area for the iron set. 4-pw or 3-pw. I hate hybrids.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Hopefully the mat kept the battery acid from getting to the sheet metal, or you might be buying a new car soon.

We had a battery break the hold down in our first race car. We fixed it, scooped the acid up with a plastic cup, poured it back in, and finished the race.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Hopefully the mat kept the battery acid from getting to the sheet metal, or you might be buying a new car soon.

We had a battery break the hold down in our first race car. We fixed it, scooped the acid up with a plastic cup, poured it back in, and finished the race.

Yes, the mat held all the acid luckily. Car should be fine.

Did I buy those MacGregors from you?

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
So an annoying noise and some wind...basically, you farted in bed.

You gotta look at Mizuno before you decide. The ones I played were like butter on a well hit shot.

You're projecting your own performances on me, my friend. :D

Mizzy is definitely on the list...looking at the price difference right now between building a set and buying. Buying Titleist/Mizuno new I think is out of the question. Buying used means I have no real input on the specs which sucks. But from the prices I'm seeing for Maltby with nice shafts...it's only a couple hundred difference from used, but the benefits are I can customize them myself....

Then again, 'customized' by me really doesn't mean much since I'm not a club fitter...best I could do is length adjustments really. Maybe then take them somewhere and see if they can measure me for loft/lie adjustments. Another cost...

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.