• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Bad news; good news

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I would just plug it myself.

Same.

I've plugged tires in that area before, no issues.

Thanks for the info, guys. How does one "plug" a tire? Through prior experience with multiple tire shops whenever I raise the issue of can it be repaired, the response usually goes like this:

Them: "Oh, if the puncture was anywhere other than the outside tread row we could fix it".

Me: "What about inserting a tube?"

Them: "No, can't do that. A tube isn't meant for those tires."

Me: "So, there's no way of fixing it?"

Them: "No. We're not allowed to try and fix it when the puncture is in the outside row. There might be some cowboys out there who are prepared to try and fix the puncture but they're not supposed to. The tire could be unsafe. We're not allowed to fix it. Sorry."

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
You can buy a tire plugging kit at any auto store for $10. If you have never done one before, I highly recommend you find a skilled redneck to train you.

At normal driving speeds, plugs are safe, as long as you routinely check air pressure. In a pinch, I have even plugged track day tires and driven them on my 911 and M3 on the track.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country

I'll add - definitely use the rubber cement....that's your 'lubrication' as well as it helps hold the plug together inside the tire. Get the 'pistol grip' style tools, they're worth the extra couple bucks. I get a bit more rough with the reamer tool personally, I get it to the point that it goes in an out semi-easily. I also prefer the plug tools that have a cutting end rather than the open tip like that guy used. I've never had a problem with cutter tip installed plugs leaking like I have with open ended plug tools. I also know guys that swear to their chosen deity that you have to spin the plug tool before you pull out, some say 180º, some 360º. I've never done that and never had a problem with cutter style tools.

EDIT: I just changed tires on my vehicle, they're 245-45/17, so not super low profile, but semi-low. I had to plug one of those tires when they were almost new, and they went 55k miles plugged without issue.

Last edited:

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country

I'll add - definitely use the rubber cement....that's your 'lubrication' as well as it helps hold the plug together inside the tire. Get the 'pistol grip' style tools, they're worth the extra couple bucks. I get a bit more rough with the reamer tool personally, I get it to the point that it goes in an out semi-easily. I also prefer the plug tools that have a cutting end rather than the open tip like that guy used. I've never had a problem with cutter tip installed plugs leaking like I have with open ended plug tools. I also know guys that swear to their chosen deity that you have to spin the plug tool before you pull out, some say 180º, some 360º. I've never done that and never had a problem with cutter style tools.

EDIT: I just changed tires on my vehicle, they're 245-45/17, so not super low profile, but semi-low. I had to plug one of those tires when they were almost new, and they went 55k miles plugged without issue.
But... But... Are we forgetting TTR is "down under"? Can he plug a tire like we on the "correct" side of this planet do? Or, would he need to plug it from the inside? Maybe suspend the tire and make sure he plugs it from the bottom? How's this "gravity" stuff work, anyway???:D:D

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
But... But... Are we forgetting TTR is "down under"? Can he plug a tire like we on the "correct" side of this planet do? Or, would he need to plug it from the inside? Maybe suspend the tire and make sure he plugs it from the bottom? How's this "gravity" stuff work, anyway???:D:D

Ha! I’ll wait till next tornado season and we’ll see who ends upside down. [emoji1]

🔥 Latest posts