• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Bad time to practice???

Greydawg

King Of All Hackers!!!
Dec 15, 2006
Is there such a thing???

Ok, let me try and figure out how to ask this question so that it makes sence...

First a prelude.
I played 18 on Saturday with our friend Sandy.
He introduced me to a couple of Cleveland Halo hybrids and a Cleveland #7 wood.
For some reason I just don't seem able to hit my Bafflers or my M-speed #3 wood very well.

(be patient with me, I know there's a point to be made here somewhere!)

Anyway, for my skill level, I was making great contact using these clubs.
(accuracy is another thing, I think I need a front end alignment!)

But the ball was going dead straight!

Monday I played 9 holes and watched an older gentleman hit his driver with such a slow but beautiful swing that I tried to copy it.

It worked!!!

My next 3 drives, the last 3, were about the best I've ever hit with a driver!

(are you all asleep yet???)

Ok, now for the meat of this diatribe...

I go to the range today after work, complete with bluejeans and a tee shirt.
(my day started at 2:00am, got to the range about 4:15pm.)

I couldn't 'get it together' at all.

So my question is this, is it a good thing to practice when you're tired and really not dressed for golf?
(at least I did take my cowboy boots off and used golf shoes!)

Am I hurting myself by practicing under these conditions?

I was once told that practicing while tired could be good as I'm more relaxed, I don't know that I buy that though.

So there you have it,
a stupid question from a terrible player!

But it is the most fun I can have for $5.00 with my clothes on!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I always go straight to the range in my contractors clothes; old t-shirts, dirty cargos, and my old nike golf hat. I either wear my old work sneakers, or hit barefoot. If the club doesn't mind, go for it.

Practicing with shoes with less grip is good to help your balance and to diagnose swing flaws.

Oh, and don't practice if you don't feel like it. Rushing through a bucket will screw you up. And get a small bucket, and go through your pre-shot routine to slow you down.

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
practice w/ fatigues are one of the best things that you can do to ingrain bad habits. my work now allows me to go to the range in the morning after i get up w/ clear mind. whenever i'm tired or fatigued, i usually do worse on the course and at the range.

dfreeland311

Aug 12, 2006
practice w/ fatigues are one of the best things that you can do to ingrain bad habits. my work now allows me to go to the range in the morning after i get up w/ clear mind. whenever i'm tired or fatigued, i usually do worse on the course and at the range.
I'll agree. 9 times out of 10, when I go to the range, it's after a long day of working outside. I limit myself on those days though, only buy a small bucket, and work more on form than power. Sometimes, when I'm working on driving, after a long day of work, my back'll start to hurt, my concentration will be shot, and I just don't even care about form. I just care about finishing the bucket off as fast as I can so I can go home.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
If you have to practice when you are tired, just do so with a small bucket and take it easy.

All I do now a days is practice, :( I haven't played 18 (played 9 though) in over 2 weeks. *sigh*

digger21

Aug 2, 2007
I cant stand practicing while tired. I never really get anything accomplished no matter how slow I take it. If I have the urge to go while tired ill usually stay on the chipping green or putting green.

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
If you have to practice when you are tired, just do so with a small bucket and take it easy.

All I do now a days is practice, :( I haven't played 18 (played 9 though) in over 2 weeks. *sigh*

I'm in the same boat. I haven't played in about 2 weeks and made it to the range once. However, the h'ing hasn't stopped. :laugh:

to OP, I agree with what others have said above. Definitely limit yourself to a small bucket when tired. I've noticed from experience, I start the session great but as fatigue sets in, the balls are all over the place.

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
I like to hit a small bucket sometimes after work just to relax and get my mind on something else. I have the luxury of living on the course so I generally just take a stroll on the course with few clubs and my putter. Work on different shots or maybe some club that is giving me problems.

Jason

tn-golfnut-from-nj

Birdie Machine.
Jul 13, 2007
As much as I love hitting golf balls, I wont go play, or practice when I'm tired.
It just gets frustrating, and thats no fun.:)

🔥 Latest posts