• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Badger living in Buckeye country

Badgergolfer

May 11, 2014
Columbus, OH
Country
United States United States
Hello all. It was recently pointed out to me that I never did a new member intro thread, so here goes.
34 years old, male currently living in Columbus, OH but originally from Edgerton, WI (a little town on the shores of the Rock River nestled between Milton and Janesville, about 30 miles south of Madison that no one has ever heard and really never did anything signifigant other than produce Steve Stricker and author Sterling North and Im not sure Sterling North is all that signifigant anymore).
I currently work in an auto plant here in Ohio. Its a sweet gig and I enjoy it.
All in all, Ohio isnt as bad as youd probably think. Theres an abundance of golf courses that for the most part have reasonable greens fees, theres a few PGA Tour and the occasional LPGA Tour event in the area every year (The Memorial Tournament and the Bridgestone Invitational and last year the President's Cup was here). Its one of the benefits of Jack Nicklaus being from Columbus.
As you can imagine, being a Badger fan, Ive developed a particular disdain for Ohio State but thats to be expected. They hate the Badgers and I hate the Buckeyes. Im just thankful that I live in a city where I can still see my teams play in person from time to time. I still see the Brewers play a few times a year because Cincy is so close and so easy to get to and now that we have Big Ten hockey, Im able to see Badger hockey in person every year (I used to have season tickets when I lived in Wisconsin and I was very much missing Badger hockey). As for Badger football, basketball and the Packers; tickets are pretty expensive for all them when they play here, which isnt a bad thing. I know that we looked into going to Cincy when Green Bay was in town last season and tickets were pretty expensive, about $200 each.
As for golf, Im a decent player. I can usually shoot bogey. My shortgame, putting and irons are pretty decent; although I sometimes fight a push and dont always hit my 3-wood and hybrid as well as Id like to.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Welcome!! Just what we need. Another cheesehead!!! :D What is this "hockey" you speak of? Is that a board game old ladies play while they drink tea? :)

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Badger, I live within 40 minutes of your home town. Played any of the courses in Janesville? Riverside, blackhawk, prairie woods, the country club? Oak ridge or Bonny Meade in Milton?

I don't know the courses in Edgerton.

OP
Badgergolfer

Badgergolfer

May 11, 2014
Columbus, OH
Country
Badger, I live within 40 minutes of your home town. Played any of the courses in Janesville? Riverside, blackhawk, prairie woods, the country club? Oak ridge or Bonny Meade in Milton?

I don't know the courses in Edgerton.
Used to play Blackhawks, Riverside, Oak Ridge and Bonnie Meade all the time. I used to play Bonnie several times a week because their greens fees were so cheap. I liked Bonnie better before they cut down the rough and took its teeth away. They went from 6" rough to 2" rough. Not sure how you can make a links style course and have no rough. They do the same thing here in Columbus. Annoying...

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Used to play Blackhawks, Riverside, Oak Ridge and Bonnie Meade all the time. I used to play Bonnie several times a week because their greens fees were so cheap. I liked Bonnie better before they cut down the rough and took its teeth away. They went from 6" rough to 2" rough. Not sure how you can make a links style course and have no rough. They do the same thing here in Columbus. Annoying...
Bonnie was definitely a gem.

OP
Badgergolfer

Badgergolfer

May 11, 2014
Columbus, OH
Country
Bonnie was definitely a gem.
It used to be. If you could shoot a good score or even not lose a dozen balls in the old days when it still had its teeth, you were a pretty decent player. #9 was a killer with that dogleg and small landing area. You either hit it perfect or good luck finding your ball.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Been to Edgerton a few times, bought a go-kart from a guy there. Pretty much is a tiny little $hit hole town though.

OP
Badgergolfer

Badgergolfer

May 11, 2014
Columbus, OH
Country
Been to Edgerton a few times, bought a go-kart from a guy there. Pretty much is a tiny little $hit hole town though.
Pretty much. You know, that town had chances for progress but everyone always fought to keep their quaint, little town, so they got passed by and now there's really nothing there.
Honestly, even Janesville is a dump since GM left. There's really no decent paying jobs, no money to build stuff with a little hope that things will change in the near future.
I have hope that things will get better for my state but you know, there are reasons why I chose to pack up and move to Ohio and the job market was one of them.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Another friggin' cheesehead? Really? DFH, we gotta get stronger filters around here!! :D

Liking hockey is a bonus though.

Welcome to Shot Talk! Watch out for eclark. He'll invite you to play golf, and then he'll invite you into the woods to find his balls.

🔥 Latest posts