• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Baffler or Nickent Hybrid

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
While i've never hit them, it's my understanding that the Baffler is a hook machine. The Pro Version is the one to get, but they are much harder to find.

I don't know much about the Nickent, but WBL has a bunch of them. He's a big fan.

R35

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
Of those 2 brands, having hit neither, I'd go Nickent based purely on what I've heard. Almost bought a used one before I got my first Adams at a better deal.

Of all brands...Adams, baby, Adams!!

Scotty01292

Mmmmmmmm..... Cake.......
Oct 16, 2005
I've got 2 Bafflers, different lofts. They are real easy to hit, but can be hook machines... Not always. If i'm swinging well, I hit it brilliantly, but if i'm slightly off, I can hook it like crazy.

They're still good...

OP
bames

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
I will admit that much of my curiosity has come from a quote in GD that says "The Baffler is the hybrid to which all others measure themselves". Now I know that is an exageration, but it at least lead me to check into the Bafflers.

I also read that the Nippon 950 shafts play softer than the DGS.

Scotty01292

Mmmmmmmm..... Cake.......
Oct 16, 2005
If you go for graphite, in the Baffler, get the stiff. I've heard Cobra shafts play a lot softer than they are labelled, and have noticed it to a certain extent. Mostly in my driver, though.

winders

Sep 23, 2006
I have a Baffler Pro, with a True Temper DGS300 shaft, to take the place of a 2 iron. I like it a lot and it is not a hook machine. In fact, I have to do a good job of releasing correctly to make sure it don't get a strong fade.

The Nike Slingshot Hybrid that I had was a hook machine. In fact, I find most hybrids to be hook machines since most of them have a closed face.

Scott

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
IMO the Baffler is a great hybrid as long as you remove the stock shaft. Square face and long as hell.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I can't say about the baffler although I've heard good things about them. I've only hit my Nickent at an indoor dome range and every one off the mat was straight and felt really nice. No hook or slice whatsoever and it is a straight face. About all I can offer at this point. :)

This is out of the Nickent website:

The XW Inserts are a fusion of polymer and tungsten. By using polymer around the outside of the insert, Nickent has the ability to vary the mass of the insert without being bulky and taking away from proper clubhead design. XW Inserts are also used to move the center of gravity of the head to insure proper weight distribution and eliminate the “pull hooks” produced by many of the leading hybrid designs.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
I used to hook the heck out of the original Hogan CFTs and that was with the stiff Apex 4 graphite shafts. The Toskis I play now do not hook, but will draw or fade with the right swing.

Pullmeister

Dec 6, 2006
I demoed both this summer and preferred the Nickent, IMO it flew straighter and felt nicer. The stock Nickent shafts are decent quality .

Neither of these clubs even came close to to knocking my Snake Eyes tour hybrid out of my bag. I think if the Nickent had the same s flex IROD shaft as the SE it would have been close though.

OP
bames

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
That is all great info, thanks guys. I'm actually leaning towards the Nickent, I just got hooked on this Baffler thing, and I like the idea of a stiff Nippon 950 shaft in my hybrid over a graphite shaft.

fore142

Oct 22, 2006
i have the old nickent in a three wood replacement so im not sure if this helps you any, but i would not consider it a hook machine. It can be found for much less than the newer one, around 50 bucks. also the stock graphite shaft in it is not too bad either as far as stock shafts go.

🔥 Latest posts