• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ball flight

Roy

Grip it and Rip it
May 29, 2005
Okay, I have a question. My Driver as of now is a TM R5 Draw 12* loft with a senior flex, It gives me VERY high ball flight and No roll what so ever. 240-250 is the max with no roll its like hitting a HArd wedge into the fairway it just STOPS.

Now a friend of mine let me use a Nike 400 Foraged 8.0 * STIFF flex driver my flight is now low to mid with lots of Roll. Would going to a Reg flex with a lower loft say 8.0 * give me High flight with alot of roll? The Carry with the Nike is the same as the TM R5 but i get about 20 more yards of roll , Lands 250ish rolls 260-270 . It like the ball has a Turbo charged motor in it. Ive never been able to roll the ball so this is something new to me. The bad part is with the Nike STIFF flex 8.0* driver On a slower swing speed it goes no where.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Roy said:
The Carry with the Nike is the same as the TM R5 but i get about 20 more yards of roll
If this is truelly the case it may help to have a lower lofted driver, although 8* sounds a little extreme to me. My distance on my driver is about 260-265 on good shots. I use a 10* with a stiff shaft. If you hit it 260+ with the 8*, I am guessing a Senior Flex shaft may not be the right option.

Personally, you may be better served going down to a launch monitor to learn a little more about your swing speed, and your primary launch angle. You can also regulate this with the type of shaft.

When I demoed clubs many recommended an 8.5* driver over the 10*, with a Swing Speed of 105mph. Although this did not account for the fact that I keep the ball a little back from from left heel. I ended up with a 10*, then I went with the Aldila NV shaft, which gave me a little lower launch angle and a more ideal ball flight, and one that I was happy with.

I guess it really comes down to demoing to find out what will provide you with the ideal ball flight, just keep in mind that that type of shaft can influence the launch angle as well as the loft.

Although based on the info and distances you provided it would at least seem to me that 8* may be a little low, and a Senior Flex shaft may be a little too flexible for someone who hits the ball 250-265. Although this also depend on your setups. So if you have the ball way forward in your stance 8* could possibly work.

Ideally though you are going to gain the majority of distance by carry, but if you do in fact have as much carry on a 8* as a 12* then obviously 12* may be a little high. This combined with the fact that to flexible a shaft may be adding even more elevation based on the nature of the shaft. Although you need to consider that the 12* will be much more controllable. So if your 20 extra yards of roll is into the rough due to any kind of extra spin you may impart on the ball by the lower lofted driver, it is not necessarily better.

OP
Roy

Roy

Grip it and Rip it
May 29, 2005
Well for me I really have to go at it to get the stiff / 8.0 out there Each time but if i take a nice med swing it goes no where. So i was Thinking maybe going with a Prolaunch blue Reg and a or a 7.5 or 8.0/8.5 Driver ?

Would that give me higher flight with less swing speed power with more roll ?

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
Roy people give me hell

For having an 11* driver, up until I get to the range. I can take balls out the back end of the range with it. It has more to do with the shaft, for me anyhow. I had a 10 degree driver with a crappy shaft, and while every now and then I could get ahold of the ball, mostly I felt the club head lag in the downswing. Now with the stiffer shaft, I am the man at the range.:)

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Roy,

I agree with the launch monitor, it will help narrow down what you truly need.

That being said, it would surprise me if you went down to an 8* driver and had success. That's a huge jump loftwise.

Try demoing something with a soft tip in regular flex (Aldila NV or NVS, Grafalloy Prolite or ProLaunch, ect) with a 10 or 10.5* loft. You'd be surprised how much roll you can get in comparison to your driver. My 3 wood is 12.5*! Drop a few degrees and get a lower spin shaft in there and you'll see increased ground distance.

Good luck with your search. Small steps often lead to better success over great leaps and bounds.

R35

OP
Roy

Roy

Grip it and Rip it
May 29, 2005
Well, I only bought the 12* because i was TOLD that it is more forgiving and makes less side spin. But i can hook and slice it just like any other driver.

But my ball flight has always been VERY high. It goes up then Goes up again but when it comes down it just stops. I had a 9.5 before but still hit it VERY high just like the 12* TM driver. So like i said a friend handed me a 8.0 nike stiff flex driver and well i hit it Just like my other Drivers slight Draw/hook . I had Same to more Distance only because of roll. I adapt very well to just about anything i went from only knowing Cavities to Nike Foraged blades and i hit the nikes Further and straighter. Guess iam a Fast leaner /shrug. I have about 300 balls and also have a low Cut Grass field 275 to the tree's messured and taped off. I hit those balls twice a week and play golf on sundays. I am still new to this sport so I still have alot to learn. I would really love to get myself on a launch screen just to see whats going on.

I tee the ball a half a ball above driver and just off my left heel. I always catch the ball on the upswing. I dont know my swing speed either thats why i went with a senior Shaft on my TM 12* D model. But I guess iam beating a dead horse launch screen is the only thing that can tell me exactly what i need Thanks for the Advice guys I'll try to get a Video of me and a friends golf swing on here this thursday . Should be fun ! THanks again.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.