• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ball Info

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
Well, I've decided the TopFlite D2 Distance is not for me. Yesterday, I used it from hole 3 to hole 8 and there was a significant amount of wear on it. The outer layer began to turn red, which must mean that the outer layer is coming off. For only 5 holes I was surprised to see that.

So now I'm looking for a new ball to try out, I had an old Nike Super Soft that worked really well, but I just found out they stopped making them. Does the Nike Power Soft compare to these, or are they totally different?

Anyone else know of any balls that I should try? I was thinking the Srixon Soft Feel, how are these?

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I used Srixon soft-feel for most of a round last week. I actually lost my one Prov1X I'd brought and the next hole was a #17 Sawgrass replica. 120yds. from the whites, lightning fast island green. Pulled out the Srixon as it was the softest, cheapest ball I had on hand. Stuck, and I mean dead stuck my GW to 7 ft. I used it for the rest of the round and my short game came alive which allowed us to come back from 4 down at one point, it started on that island green hole.

That ball and the Nike powersoft are two of the better value balls for feel without sacrificing a lot of distance. Another one I like is the Maxfli Noodle, the one that says "long and soft". :laugh:

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I played a Noodle yesterday and it is a great ball. I played a D2 "feel" alot yesterday and dislike it alot. :) Best luck was with Nike ONE Black though. I used the lower price balls where there's lot's of water hazards.

OP
K

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
Yeah, I used the lower price balls because I wouldn't know the difference between a ProV1 and Pinnacle to tell you the truth.

I'll probably play the rest of the D2 balls I have left (12) and then never buy 'em again.

Next on the list is probably Nike Powersoft and Srixon Soft Feel.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
You'll notice the difference pretty soon around the greens and shot stopping ability on the greens. Yesterday I had a Prov1 and my boss had a Pinnacle. 1st hole he stripes one dead up the middle in the fairway. I played a conservative fade but it didn't quite cut back enough, just in the left rough. I hit a cut 7iron out of the rough that stopped 3 feet from where it landed. He hit a high 9iron from the fairway that landed a good 8-10 in front of mine but still bounced off the back of the green.

OP
K

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
Yeah, that's true.

I was just exaggerating a bit.

Between the Top Flite D2, Nike Powersoft, and ProV1 I doubt I'd be able to see a difference, however a more experienced person may.

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
Bridgestone E5 or E6. Both are great. Callaway HX Hot. Lot's of good lower priced balls.

:)

i personally hate the hx hot's.. and im not a fan of the e5 or e6... id actually rather have a maxfli long and soft noodle... or some pro v1's and bridgestone b330s's....

OP
K

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
I've got a bucket sitting here with 3 dozen balls in it.

Titleist NXT Tour
Callaway Warbird
and TopFlite D2

I absolutely hate the Warbirds, the NXT's are alright and the Top Flite are awesome except for that they wear more extensively than the others.

I'll probably give away the Warbirds and keep the others and see if I can make em work.

Other than that I'm going to try to pick up a sleeve of the Noodle, One Black and Soft-feel.

Hopefully I can find a ball that I can truly play. Then again I don't lose a lot of balls so maybe I will go for the Nike One Black.

Hmm..

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I tried the TF D2 feel and don't like it. It's soft but it's about 20 yards shorter off the driver than the V1. Also it doesn't check as well as the Pro V1 either.

OP
K

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
I lost distance with the TP D2 Distance as well. About 10-15 yards with each iron.

extremeVFT03

golfaholic
Supporting Member
Apr 22, 2007
Country
United States United States
Ive been using srixons new trispeed balls and i really like them. they get good distance but have enough spin for me.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I didn't care for the E6 either, not too great around the green, not too long off the driver, I'll take an NXT over it any day. The Noodle is a ball that just never fails to impress me. I never start a round with one but often end up finishing with one. The wind was into us, not bad but definitely there on 18 yesterday. From 490 I was inside of 215 to an uphill green, pin back. Hit the 5W but pulled it left, pin high, left rough. Pin was on a horrible little hill off a big ridge, pretty much impossible to put it close. I hit my little open face GW floater and it came off nice and soft, 2ft. deeper and 6inches higher would have had a chance. Missed the near impossible putt, almost more break than overall length, but left it below to easily can the uphill 4 footer for par. From tee to green, the Noodle had the performance to handle as much game as I have in the bag. All I ask for is "normal" distance off the tee and enogh feel to control distance of short wedge shots and chips. I'm not a big "spin" guy, meaning I generate plenty off a short iron or wedge, throwing one past the stick and spinning it back in won't be in my plans anytime soon though.
icon10.gif

🔥 Latest posts