• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ball launching really high with regular flex shaft

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
hey guys,
I took a Mizuno MX 17 6 iron (regular flex) to the range and took some swings. I was striking the ball good but it seems to launch the ball really high.

I am a beginner (only playing for about a month) so I figured that my swing speed would be anywhere from slow to average (guess I won't know until I get my swing speed checked at the local shop).

But here my question, is the high trajectory caused by the regular flex shaft? I think I heard someone say that if you have a fast swing speed and use a regular flex shaft, it sends the ball high? or is it the other way around? also, I didn't think my swing was fast at all.

Thanks for the input everyone.

:miz:

JoshinWA

Aug 31, 2006
JohnnyPar,

If you have a shaft with a low kickpoint, it will launch the ball higher than one with a mid to high kickpoint. That being said, I imagine that flex itself can have some impact. For example, if you need a stiff flex but use clubs with R flex, you might hit high balls that head right...

As for your swing speed, how far are you hitting the 6i? I hit mine around 170-175, and I use stiff shafts. My swing speed (measured with driver) is around 110mph...

Josh

OP
Johnny Par

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
I wonder what the standard kickpoint spec was on the MX-17.

With my 6 iron, I can only hit it about 145-150 yds. My swing speed seems slow compared to others I see swinging.

soSoJeffCC

Sep 8, 2006
it might also be the fact that you are not delofting the face at impact. I'm trying to work on that as well.

loco

Not good at golf
Sep 12, 2006
it might also be the fact that you are not delofting the face at impact. I'm trying to work on that as well.

What they said. I am trying to flatten things out at ball strike as well. I am hitting stiff shaft Morph irons and everything is really lofty. I also loft the hell out of my 9* driver, so I have some work to do. :(

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Adam's right on. The MX-17's are definitely in the game-improvement iron category. They are made to make it easy to get the ball up. The irons I play actually bring the flight down in the lofted irons. It's odd as my 7iron and 5iron have nearly identicle flights.

BTW- for the guys trying to deloft a bit, I worked on maintaining the shaft angle at impact to do this. I start my swing with shaft at about a 15* angle and maintain it through impact. You may get a lot of fades at first, as I did, but after getting used to it I can come from the inside and draw it nicely.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
As for your swing speed, how far are you hitting the 6i? I hit mine around 170-175, and I use stiff shafts. My swing speed (measured with driver) is around 110mph...

Josh

Are you sure? My swing speed is 108, I drive about 295-300 and hit my 6i average 190.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Iron distances vary a lot on striking abilities IMO. I've dropped 2 clubs since improving greatly in my iron striking.

OP
Johnny Par

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
thanks for the input guys. Doing tons of research these days trying to find the right clubs.

I took a couple of swings with the MX 23's on a net and man, they are sweet. Anyone know if the launch angle on these is the same as the MX 17's?

I am looking at a couple sets on eBay right now (don't want to pay $600 at Golfsmith when I can pick up a brand new set for less than $400). They are stiff flex, I figure I can take them to Golfsmith and get them fitted.

Wish me luck.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Are you sure? My swing speed is 108, I drive about 295-300 and hit my 6i average 190.

My average drive is 290ish and I hit my 6 iron 160-165. SS is 112. I'd rather be accurate than long with my irons.

R35

ProjectX

They said it'd get better
Sep 1, 2004

Distance is determined by swing speed.............

plus launch angle, ball composition and net coefficient of restitution, #feet above sea level (atmospheric pressure), relative humidity, temperature..........

Dannykos

Sep 20, 2006
felt a bit like a pro last night during my nine holes - kept flying the green with my irons, due to vastly improved ball striking.... even drew one!!

think EZRA has it bang on.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.