• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ball placement...Sean Foley

rob0225

Mar 27, 2006
Country
United States United States
So Sean Foley says for more consistent impact that ball placement should be consistent in the stance and to adjust distance from the ball and width to compensate for club length.

Foley's claims the ball should be played in line with the left shoulder joint which places it at the low point of the swing when adjusting stance and width as mentioned above.

Sean Foley: Keep Your Ball Position Constant : Golf Digest

Anyone had success with this technique?

Last edited:

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
So Sean Foley says for more consistent impact that ball placement should be consistent in the stance and to adjust distance from the ball and width to compensate for club length.

Anyone had success with this technique?
Nope, not really. I used to play all clubs off my left instep. Now for irons I start in the middle for the shortest and move forward.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Really depends, but for most stock iron shots I play the ball dead center stance or very close.

Wedges are played rearward of center.

Driver is played off the front foot instep.

Maybe at the beginning keep ball position static but as one gets better, moving the ball in the stance can introduce more options for shot making.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Really depends, but for most stock iron shots I play the ball dead center stance or very close.

Maybe at the beginning keep ball position static but as one gets better, moving the ball in the stance can introduce more options for shot making.
This

OP
rob0225

rob0225

Mar 27, 2006
Country
I hit the ball pretty well but do have issues with consistent impact. I gave this technique a go on the range Sunday with a couple buckets then used it on the course. Worked fairly well to be honest, I may use this to help improve my impact.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I just swing the club and see where the club face squares up and that's where my ball sits. Off my left heel for driver. Middle of stance for irons and a little more right for wedges. I still suck.

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada

I agree with this 100%, whenever in the middle of a round and things go a little south. I make sure to get the ball in the middle of my stance.

OP
rob0225

rob0225

Mar 27, 2006
Country
After playing this setup a bit..I must recant my initial comments. This has been horrible for my swing and has caused me to start slicing, even now with going back to my normal ball placement I'm having a hard time stopping cutting across the ball.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
After playing this setup a bit..I must recant my initial comments. This has been horrible for my swing and has caused me to start slicing, even now with going back to my normal ball placement I'm having a hard time stopping cutting across the ball.
Try this....
Rather than considering a spot on the ground some holy grail magic, try finding the line, and placing the clubhead and rear foot in a square to the path line so you know both where square and the middle of your swing is, THEN set the forward foot where you can get through the ball comfortably, then move the right foot to where it is a comfortable place, and in or out for fade or draw, steep or shallow.

Last edited:

Badgergolfer

May 11, 2014
Columbus, OH
Country
Foley isnt really saying anything new. Jack Nicklaus said this same thing 30 years ago. Really, ball placement depends upon your swing. If I played the ball in the middle of my stance, I tend to block it; so I do what Foley/Nicklaus say and just put the ball in the same spot and adjust my stance. That gives me enough time to close the clubface so that I dont block it.

🔥 Latest posts