• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ball placment for hybrids

daddymack

Mar 27, 2005
My new set of clubs come with hybrids replacing my 3-6 irons. My game has improved but i was just curious about the ball placement. I play them in center or a let forward now, is that right?

Also, is there a difference in hybrids and fairway woods like a seven or nine?

thanks

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
If I was playing a hybrid, I would play it about a ball's width from the inside of your left foot. Granted, it's different for everyone, but that would be a good guide.

Hybrids are designed with a lower center opf gravity, allowing the ball to get up in the air faster than with the traditonal iron. The larger head provides a wider sole area that hugs the ground better with less twist from the grass (or cartpath...lol:D) resulting in better shots.

Fairway woods are usually longer than hybrids, but if you get into the higher numbers like 7 and 9 woods, you can use these as a handy weapon as well. Fairway woods usually have a shallower face than a hybrid does (meaning the face is "thicker" from top to bottom in a hyrbid), but they have longer shafts in them allowing you to get faster clubhead speed and distance with them, usually.

I've played both hybrids and 7 woods. I liked both of them, but if I was to give the nod to one or the other, it would be a fairway wood. Personally, I hit my long irons pretty decently, so i'm somewhat biased, but I did find my fairway woods easy to hit high and far for those long pars 3.

There are many guys on this site that play hybrids and love them. So it's really in the eye of the beholder. What works for one man is the bane of another's existence.

And, in some rare cases, such as VTDivot and Dave, they're just beyond help.

:D

Cheers,

R35

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
I would agree with the play it like a 5 iron advice. Even teed up, play it like a mid iron. If you tee it up and have it towards your left foot, you will get a moon launch type trajectory.

When I address the ball with a hybrid, I am constantly trying to remind myself to play it like a mid iron. The ball position, swing plane, the take away, etc. If I try to play it like a fairway wood, trouble is lurking and the resultant shot is usually poor.

To me, this is one of the greatest benefits of the hybrid. You play it like the rest of your irons and do not have to adjust your swing/ball position like you would playing fairway woods.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Looing back at my post, I would have to agree with the irons-style placement of the ball. However, I will point out that I was commenting based on my experiences with a 3 iron replacement hybrid only, not those extending deep into the irons like a 5 or a 6.

Hybrids are designed to replace certain clubs within your bag. Play them as you would play their replaced irons.

R35

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
IrishGolfer said:
Here's some interesting advice from the "guys at Sonartec"...

http://www.sonartec.com/page.cfm?content=md_tips

Seems you play the club like a 5 iron rather than like a fairway wood, ie hit down on the back / not sweep. Interesting, eh?

Rock, that's the md19 (5w/2i) that the dude, Mt Thomas T Wartelle, is using. Only reason is I have found that this image really helps. I was trying the sweep the hybrid like a fairway (well, it does have a headcover!!). It was only when I started hitting down on the back of it that I really saw the results. The concept of taling a divot with a wood is a bit alien to me.

If you get a chance demo the md19. Dave Ireland, The Master and Bravo all can't be wrong! The thing that always put me off about hybrids (until I actually hit one) was the trajectory. I was afraid it would baloon. But I seem to get a good penetrating trajectory to a 2 iron. It's just easier to hit off different lies (including rough).

Having said all that my dilemma now will be when the m675s arrive, including the 2 iron, is what must leave the bag. Something has to go.

I'll leave that monumental decision until they arrive.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
IG,

I had a look through the images, and I can't help but notice that in almost every image, the gent has his hands extremely forward, which would promote a lower ball flight. If I played my hands that forward, I would smoke the thing accross the green and end up in the trees behind!

I had luck with both my 3h and my 7 wood by playing it off the left foot. But, problems arose when hitting either of them into the wind. I found, as you feared, that the ball would balloon somewhat, turning me back to my 3 iron which has a more boring trajectory. This is ultimately what i want, living in windy conditions 90% of the time.

Hybrids are great clubs. But, you have to go out and try a bunch and find out what works for you.

I still say get a 7 wood. :D

R35

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Rockford35 said:
And, in some rare cases, such as VTDivot and Dave, they're just beyond help.

:D

Cheers,

R35

Man is that ever true :D

Also, some guys like VTDivot and Dave only carry the legal number of clubs. :p

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
VtDivot said:
Man is that ever true :D

Also, some guys like VTDivot and Dave only carry the legal number of clubs. :p

Hey, I'm down to 13 now!:)

R35

White Tees

Oct 28, 2005
When I started playing, I got myself a TaylorMade Rescue Mid #3 @ 19*, because I was having trouble with the 3 Iron. Now, the 3 Iron is one of my best clubs, because I worked on it until I got it right. I can hit the snot out of the Rescue Mid, (Yes, you hit down on it like a 5 Iron), but I now leave it out of the bag most of the time because I have much better control/accuracy with the 3 Iron. I hit the 3 Iron 190 yards and get it up high with no difficulty. I too now have 13 in the bag. Is that bad luck?

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Golf World did a piece with Goosen doing a lesson on how to hit hybrids.he suggests hitting them as you would a 3 or 4 iron,rather than a fairway wood.Hit takes a small divot with his.

🔥 Latest posts