• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ball position

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
United States United States
We've all heard the drill on ball position. Just off the front heel with driver then a bit further back the shorter club you go. I've been messing around with it lately and came across some images I found interesting.

Butch Harmon:
Butch-Harmon-Short-Irons-Ball-Position-With-Captions.jpg

Ben Hogan:
4927606_f520.jpg

Greg Norman:
Norman1.jpg

And Jack Nicklaus:
Ball-position-Nicklaus.jpg

If you look closely all of them play the ball in basically the same spot, they just move the back foot rearward the longer the club. What do you think?

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I like Butch Harmon's. I'm wary about the others given the lapse of time.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
We've all heard the drill on ball position. Just off the front heel with driver then a bit further back the shorter club you go. I've been messing around with it lately and came across some images I found interesting.

Butch Harmon:

Ben Hogan:
4927606_f520.jpg

Greg Norman:
Norman1.jpg

And Jack Nicklaus:

If you look closely all of them play the ball in basically the same spot, they just move the back foot rearward the longer the club. What do you think?
It's definitely interesting and makes you think. I have 2 ball positions (because of the single length irons). Driver and FW's off the front heel and irons in the center of my stance. Keeping it simple. :D

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Doesn't make sense to me. Driver needs to be hit with a positive angle of attack, which requires the ball to be forward of the bottom of the natural swing. If not, you have to swing different to hit the ball well.

Likewise, Irons/wedges need to be hit with a negative angle of attack. This requires the ball to be before the bottom of the natural swing.

Moving the ball is easier than moving the swing. I don't see a real benefit to changing the swing over moving the ball.

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country

Butch Harmon:

Ben Hogan:
4927606_f520.jpg

Greg Norman:
Norman1.jpg

And Jack Nicklaus:

critical to note though, that they play much more foreword press on the shorter clubs, that too, like stance with, is progressive

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I, honestly, can't tell you just where my ball position is from shot to shot. If I spent too much time worrying dissecting it, I'd probably have paralysis through over-analysis. My driver position is usually off the left big toe. We have one dogleg that, if I'm hitting the driver really well that day, I may try to go over. I'll move the ball a little more forward and tee it a little higher for that shot. If I want to hit an iron high to either clear an obstacle or make it land soft, I'll move the ball forward. If I want to keep the ball low and see it check up, I'll move it back to punch it. I sorta picture the shot I want to make, then automatically move to where I think the ball should be... and then skull it 10 yards past the green.

J.P.C.

Aug 31, 2010
Cape Town, South Africa
Country
South Africa South Africa
I, honestly, can't tell you just where my ball position is from shot to shot. If I spent too much time worrying dissecting it, I'd probably have paralysis through over-analysis. My driver position is usually off the left big toe. We have one dogleg that, if I'm hitting the driver really well that day, I may try to go over. I'll move the ball a little more forward and tee it a little higher for that shot. If I want to hit an iron high to either clear an obstacle or make it land soft, I'll move the ball forward. If I want to keep the ball low and see it check up, I'll move it back to punch it. I sorta picture the shot I want to make, then automatically move to where I think the ball should be... and then skull it 10 yards past the green.

in short - no idea.....

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
So your just the same as all o' us

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada

Butch Harmon:

Ben Hogan:
4927606_f520.jpg

Greg Norman:
Norman1.jpg

And Jack Nicklaus:

I noticed the same thing and it makes sense, little bit wider stance for the bigger swing. I also note they all have their head positioned behind the ball, with their nose pointing at the back of the ball. It's hard to tell in Butch's because his head is turned in two pics, but I'm sure he's the same!

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
I noticed the same thing and it makes sense, little bit wider stance for the bigger swing. I also note they all have their head positioned behind the ball, with their nose pointing at the back of the ball. It's hard to tell in Butch's because his head is turned in two pics, but I'm sure he's the same!
Agreed!

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.