• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ball position

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I, honestly, can't tell you just where my ball position is from shot to shot. If I spent too much time worrying dissecting it, I'd probably have paralysis through over-analysis. My driver position is usually off the left big toe. We have one dogleg that, if I'm hitting the driver really well that day, I may try to go over. I'll move the ball a little more forward and tee it a little higher for that shot. If I want to hit an iron high to either clear an obstacle or make it land soft, I'll move the ball forward. If I want to keep the ball low and see it check up, I'll move it back to punch it. I sorta picture the shot I want to make, then automatically move to where I think the ball should be... and then skull it 10 yards past the green.
This sounds familiar. :rolleyes:

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
I noticed the same thing and it makes sense, little bit wider stance for the bigger swing. I also note they all have their head positioned behind the ball, with their nose pointing at the back of the ball. It's hard to tell in Butch's because his head is turned in two pics, but I'm sure he's the same!

Also just wanted to mention, not sure if anyone else notices this, and I can't find the other post made that talked about spin tilt in the golf swing. But it mentions the two "tilts" of the spine required for a golf swing. The primary tilt required leaning towards the ball at address, the bending at the hips. And the secondary tilt was with the spine and shoulders away from the target, allowing the club to swing on a more natural inside out path...

Anyway, it might be just me, but it looks like Jack and Butch seem to imply more of this secondary spine tilt in their swings. Norman and Hogan seem to stand much more upright I guess?!?!

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
It doesn't matter so much where your feet are, it's more important where the ball is in relation to your head/shoulders. Also, as Hogan illustrates, foot position changes depending on how open your body is, so again foot position is less important.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
It doesn't matter so much where your feet are, it's more important where the ball is in relation to your head/shoulders. Also, as Hogan illustrates, foot position changes depending on how open your body is, so again foot position is less important.
You're less important.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
You're less important.
200_s.gif

thegolfclubdoc

Nov 9, 2018
Country
When it comes to ball position I play two. For irons, fairway woods, and putter I play the club in the center of my stance with the ball slight left of the club face. The driver I play just inside my left heel.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

lbmaxx

Oct 24, 2018
Country
When it comes to ball position I play two. For irons, fairway woods, and putter I play the club in the center of my stance with the ball slight left of the club face. The driver I play just inside my left heel.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Exactly the same for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thegolfclubdoc

Nov 9, 2018
Country
Two? Man, depending on the shot, I have probably 30 different ball positions.

I don’t have the skill for that. I try to keep my golf game as simple as possible. Too much deviation for me equals higher scores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Hogan explained in "5 Lessons" that when you narrow your stance as the clubs get shorter, it effectively moves the ball back in your stance. So, both are right. You play the ball inside your leading heel and also move it back in your stance for each shortening of the club.

I think the big change for the modern swing is the driver, which may need to be moved forward in the stance for an upward contact. Just don't move it too far forward, else you promote pulls/slices because moving it forward also moves it forward in the swing path, so you'll promote an effective outside/in contact even if you had and inside/out swing.

thegolfclubdoc

Nov 9, 2018
Country
I have since changed my ball position to be in line with my left heel for all clubs. Have been hitting amazing straight and high iron shots.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

🔥 Latest posts