• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ball recommendation?

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
hoping you gentlemen could make ball recommendations...

I've played a bunch (pro V, b330, nxt, nxt tour, e5, e6, D2-feel, etc) and each has +'s and -'s

my game isn't where I need it to be to play a full spin tour ball right now so I think ProV, B330, and nike one plat. are out - don't need help hooking/slicing

I really like the e5 but tend to hit my drives way too high with it.
I drove the ball better with the e6 but think a little more spin would help the shortgame

my best round of the year so far was with the D2-feel (+2 on 9 holes) but can't help but feel I might be leaving something on the table (and I don't love the dimple/dimple thing)

so, I'm hoping you guys can recommend something that is:
>low spin off the driver
>moderate spin on irons/shortgame
>soft off the putter
>reasonably durable

and if possible, cheap

anything fit? how's this Maxfli tour fire some of you guys have been talking about?

what else haven't I tried

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006
how's this Maxfli tour fire some of you guys have been talking about?

Judging from your post I'd describe it as 'perfect for you'! ;)

Has all the benefits of the e6 (one of my favorite balls) but with just enough extra spin around the greens to make a real difference. For my game it wasn't quite up there with tour-level balls for greenside spin, but was as good for drives, approach shots and off the putter.

The best way to describe it is that it is much more than $5 better than the NXTs, e5/6s, Nike Ignites, but nowhere near $15 worse than the ProV1s, Nike Ones, BS330s, etc

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Maxfli Tour Fire is the best cheap ball in golf. But you can't have any. I've bought them all. They're my secret weapon.

BWWWWAAA-HHHHHAAAA-HHHHAAAA!!!!

OP
R

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
I'll try the tour fire this weekend

never really considered the SoLo - I thought that was a step below

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006

They're 2 piece and low compression, and at the bottom of Titleists range, below the NXT (2 piece) and NXT Tour (3 piece).

Personally I found the So/Lo OK but even though I only had a moderate swing speed they used to balloon on me a lot. They're much more rooted in the TopFlite D2 category than the e5/6s, and way below the Tour Fires (which is only $10 more a box).

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
I'll try the tour fire this weekend

Don't bother with the DT SoLo. The cover is a LOT harder than the D2 Feel and they don't spin anywhere near as much. They are a good ball, reasonably long and durable but if you mostly like the D2 Feel you probably won't like the DT So/Lo. I love Titleist balls overall but don't care for the DT much around the green.

I have to try the MaxFli TourFire. It's about the only ball that's been mentioned that I haven't tried this year. It's a bit pricier than the D2 Feels but if it's significantly better I'd put it in play.

I thought the "Dimple in Dimple" was kind of funky when I first saw it too. I don't even notice it much now. What really took some getting used to for me was the "King Arthur Excalibur Sword" alignment mark that the D2's have. :laugh:

I hit the D2 Feel better than any other non-urethane cover ball I've tried so far. I really wanted not to like them since they were a "Rock Flite" and I have never played one of their balls in my life (other than the occasional shot into a pond or the woods after I found one on the course).

usa1950

Divots like a 72 Playboy
Jul 15, 2007
The Maxfli Tour Fire is a sensational ball..... I'm a father of three, and after Gymnastics, Guitar Lessons, Baseball, Softball, Girl Scouts, Basketball, our oldest taking up golf, our house for sale, a hefty satellite dish bill so I can get my soccer fix with add on channels, the wife's gym membership, well, I'd be a big horses $^@ if I went out and spent $40 on Titleis Pro V1's.

So the 22.99 I spent on the Maxfli Tour Fire was great.... (even though the sign said $29.99!!!)

But the price was not as great as the performance of this ball!!! I played today in the rain, and was sucking balls BACK to the pin. I played earlier this week, and my ball was within one club length from my ball mark all day long.

And this ball goes DEEP off the driver. After playing with it, you look at it, and it looks brand new. It is incredibly durable.... I love it. When comparing dollars to dollars....t may be the best ball I have EVER played

How much do I like it? I put it in my avatar.

My box came with #1's, 3's 5's and 7's. Which is a bit odd. I bet the other boxes were evens. I would have liked to mixed and matched, and had some odd numbers, like 8's and 6's with some 7's in there for luck.

sidewinder

Feb 8, 2007
I have been playing the Nike One+ Black recently and really like the ball. It is long off the tee with little side spin. But I am always on the lookout for a less expensive ball that works well for my game. I had heard some good things about the Maxfli Fire Tour so I bought a dozen balls to try.

I played the MaxFli Fire Tour last Saturday for the first time and must say it is a very nice ball! I shot a 37 on the front nine and had a bit of a tough time on the back 9 and ended up with an 80 on a 70.8/131 course. That was easily my best 9 ever and my second best 18.

The ball is long and straight off the tee with very good feel and decent spin around the green. It seems every bit as good as the Nike One+ Black off the tee with a bit more greenside feel. Considering the price, less than $30, I see myself using this ball a lot in the future.

In fact, I found Austad's Golf was having a sale at $19.95 per dozen so I bought five dozen. At that price, the ball is a no brainer!! I should have bought ten dozen at that price!

S-

OP
R

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
my brother in law picked up a dozen tour fire's last night and gave me 2 sleeves - if the weather cooperates, I'll put it in play later this morning

Thanks guys

OP
R

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
snuck out for 9 holes (wife just had a baby, so I'll take 9 holes...)

tour fire is a nice ball - my swing wasn't on - only hit 2 fairways and 3 greens with 17 putts - not a great round - but it's hot and I haven't played a lot so....

anyway - it's a nice ball -not as soft as the D2 feel off the putter (but what is?) I wasn't as confident in it around the green as I am with the e5 (guess it takes some time to get used to a new ball) but the ball held up really well and was pretty consistent

I'm going to keep them in play for a while and decide if it's for me in another 27-36 holes - thanks

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
I picked up a dozen Tour Fires at Dick's today. I hope to get out in the next few days and compare them side by side with the D2 Feels like I did with the Laddie-X's.

I like the looks of the Tour Fire already. Hopefully they'll play as good for me as they look to me. ;)

Staff online

Members online