• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ball recommendation......?

hurley

Apr 2, 2018
Country
United States United States
Just acquired a PING G400MAX with Senior Shaft and loving it. After 8 rounds I am 20 - 30 yards longer! I am 76 years young with 85 swing speed. Anyone feel comfortable in recommending a ball for me? Currently playing with Pro Vs but I know this is wrong for me....!

OP
hurley

hurley

Apr 2, 2018
Country
What driver are you using?

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I'm 71 so not too far behind you. Still play ProV's most of the time. Have tried numerous other balls and just don't get the same performance. I hit the ProV's as long as most everything else I've tried. Where I have trouble with about anything else is around the green. Our course has "postage stamp" greens. And, our new Greens Super is keeping them exceptionally fast. I have trouble controlling anything else chipping to the pin.
Us old geezers will never hit it as far as the flat-bellies. We have to have a near perfect short game or we're done. I'll give up 5 yards off the tee if I can get the ball close from anywhere near the green.
In our geezer group, we have a plethora of "favorite" balls. Two guys love the Srixon Soft Feel. Another plays nothing but the Callaway Chrome Soft. Three more play anything that is round.... or close to round.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
I'm 71 so not too far behind you. Still play ProV's most of the time. Have tried numerous other balls and just don't get the same performance. I hit the ProV's as long as most everything else I've tried. Where I have trouble with about anything else is around the green. Our course has "postage stamp" greens. And, our new Greens Super is keeping them exceptionally fast. I have trouble controlling anything else chipping to the pin.
Us old geezers will never hit it as far as the flat-bellies. We have to have a near perfect short game or we're done. I'll give up 5 yards off the tee if I can get the ball close from anywhere near the green.
In our geezer group, we have a plethora of "favorite" balls. Two guys love the Srixon Soft Feel. Another plays nothing but the Callaway Chrome Soft. Three more play anything that is round.... or close to round.
The Costco Kirkland K-Sig 4-piece urethane ball is so close to the Pro V1 in independent testing that Titleist filed a lawsuit. You can get them 2 dozen for $29.95 at Costco.com Been using them since they came out. You're welcome.

Last edited:

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I played a Kirkland that I found last fall and they are legit. The greenside spin may be just a touch less than the proV, but not much

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
My old (61) golfing buddy just started playing the rxs (I think) from Bridgstone last year and he hits them higher and farther than the proV. They are 30 a dozen, I think

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
ProVs are expensive but I play scared and just try to keep it in play so I dont lose many. I go through about a box a year nowadays. I don't play much though. 20 - 30 rounds tops

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
I'd stick with the Pro-V-1 or Pro-V-1X. I just switched back to the "X" after playing the Callaway SuperSoft all Winter. I needed the extra distance playing on soft fairways in 50+* weather, but the fairways are firmer now and I need more spin and control on and around the greens.
Good luck with your news Ping driver. It sure worked for Patrick Reed.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.