• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ball Recommendations???

MercMan

Dec 28, 2010
Can someone advise me on what kind of ball I should be using, the technology has changed alot in the 11 years since I played. Just started back at the game after 11 years off, used to play Rexstar/Bridgestone 100 compression ballata's, and played off of a 4-8 handicap. I use Bridgestone Forged Cavity's, with Brunswick 6.5 FM shafts, just picked up a Callaway FT 9.5 Tour Driver with a Voodoo stiff, the ball is launching at 12 deg, 106 mph on average according to the simulator. I am leaning toward the Bridgestone b330-s, I did use the e6 last summer, and could pull it back with a 8-PW but am looking for something that is softer and has more spin off the irons, any suggestions??? Thanks Brian

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Let's see... Haven't played in 11 years but can back up an E6 with an 8-iron. With that talent, you need to be quite careful what ball you do choose. If you can back up an E6 with an 8-iron, you'll spin a ProV or most any high end ball clear off the green with your short irons.

Any of the recommendations by NTTG, in the other post, are excellent choices. All manufacturers make top-tier, pro-line balls today. Ball technology has taken giant steps in technological development. Titleist will be coming out with a new top-tier ball after the first of the year. The Srixon Z-star has received glowing reports. Find any one of the upper end balls, learn the characteristics of that specific ball and how it reacts to your ability to 'pull the string', and enjoy the game.

cyberious

Planet Love Tron
Feb 19, 2005
Titleist is about to release an new ball that I had tested the prototype of soon. It will probably replace the Pro V1x. Great ball.

DawgDaddy

Jan 29, 2010
Do a Bridgestone online fitting to see if they recommend the B330s or something else. At least you will know what Bridgestone thinks. If you are close to a place having a fitting soon, make a point to stop by and be tested on a monitor and they will recommend. If you are close to a "big box" store, most of them will do a ball fitting for you there. Lot's of options available.

OP
MercMan

MercMan

Dec 28, 2010
Don't know how accurate that online fitting is, they are recommending and E5, I ordered 4 dozen B330-S off of Amazon.com, $26.00 a dozen, free shipping, I didn't think I could go far wrong for that price.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Any of what Nute said (post # 2) plus the 330s would serve you fine. All top class premium balls.

Also, you might find the spin rates interesting from a test mentioned in the first post of the following thread.

OP
MercMan

MercMan

Dec 28, 2010
Thanks for the info true, great thread, I should have searched for it. Can't wait for spring to arrive, feverishly working on the game at the range, but it is hard to stay focused and really practice swing fundamentals instead of just bashing out balls. Have taken to bringing score cards from courses I have previously played and "simulating" a tee to green game. It will be interesting to see how the new high spin balls match up against the balls of yesteryear. I could pull the string with 9's and wedges using balata's as far as 15 feet under the rite green and fairway conditions

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
For those that are interested, these are the 2009 spin test results I alluded to in post #9

"How it was done
Using a robot and a 10.5 degree driver, balls were hit at 96mph, then hit with a 56 degree wedge at a half-swing.

Driver
All balls had marginal differences in spin rate (within 400rpm) and launch angle (within one degree). Of course at a higher swing speed, the lower compression balls will fly a short distance because they waste energy by compressing at impact.

Wedge
This is where a difference was clear. The balls, plotted on a graph, follow a general line from high launch/low spin to low launch/high spin.

Driver spin rates
(from 2500rpm to 2900rpm. Each grouping is roughly an additional 50rpm and listed lowest launch to highest)

TM Burner
---
Callaway Tour ix
Bridgestone E6+
Callaway Diablo
---
Bridgestone E5+
TM Burner TP
Srixon Soft Feel
---
Nike One Tour D
Callaway Tour i