• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ball Test

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Have you played them? I'm starting to think that I don't really need a super premium ball, just one that is decent, relatively soft and durable.

The only bad thing about the maxfli was zero durability.
I have played gamers and the v2 before. v2 was way more durable. Both spun ok... not a premium, but not a rock. The U4 and the X were better spinners greenside. A 3/4 wedge will stop a gamer and if it lands on a backstop a full shot will come back.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
I picked up 2 boxes (15 balls ea) of the D2 Feels at Dick's for $28.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I picked up 2 boxes (15 balls ea) of the D2 Feels at Dick's for $28.

I played and liked the D2 Feel until I started playing the Gamer and then the Gamer V2 once it came out. Then I started playing with the Taylormade Penta TP(the original one) because I got them cheap on close out. My favorite by far.

Great off every club and spins great off the wedges.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
How are those?

It's my favorite ball. I keep trying other balls (because the D2's are getting harder to find sometimes) but I keep coming back to the D2.

I played and liked the D2 Feel until I started playing the Gamer and then the Gamer V2 once it came out. Then I started playing with the Taylormade Penta TP(the original one) because I got them cheap on close out. My favorite by far.

Great off every club and spins great off the wedges.

I don't see much difference between the Gamers and the D2's, but I do like the D2 just a little bit more.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
It's my favorite ball. I keep trying other balls (because the D2's are getting harder to find sometimes) but I keep coming back to the D2.

I don't see much difference between the Gamers and the D2's, but I do like the D2 just a little bit more.
Why?

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country

MomSays_BecauseISaidSo.jpg

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
My favorite so far is the Taylormade urethanes. Long for a slower swing guys but sticky skin makes greenside and putting a pleasure.

ChrisLyons

Feb 5, 2013
Owingsville,Ky
Country
I really like the penta TP3's. They discontinued those and they are hard to find. They replaced those with rocketballz urethane and apparently they replaced those as well. I saw Taylormade had a new ball called the penta(a). Probably all the same damn ball they just change the friggin name so they can keep charging $35 buck a dozen for them. Oh well I'm sure walmart or someone will have the others for 20 or 25 a dozen. Works for me.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Here is what I don't understand. Why do companies change the name of their balls each year, except Titleist? I know several people that liked the original Penta, gone and changed and apparently coming back? Why not just keep the Penta over the last 4 years and just tweak it, like the Pro V1? Same with other companies. The only other company that keeps the same name is Bridgestone.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Here is what I don't understand. Why do companies change the name of their balls each year, except Titleist? I know several people that liked the original Penta, gone and changed and apparently coming back? Why not just keep the Penta over the last 4 years and just tweak it, like the Pro V1? Same with other companies. The only other company that keeps the same name is Bridgestone.
Everyone wants the new best thing. Give it a cool name like Rocket Ballz and slap some new paint on it and it will sell better than Penta 2.0.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.