• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Balls and swing speed...

PeterMan

Jun 21, 2006
Just wondering when a particular ball is supposed to be good for swing speeds under 90mph (for example) does this mean iron swing speed or driver swing speed?

I recently tried out a lot of clubs and I was seeing about a 15mph difference between my iron swing speed and my driver swing speed...

Thanks!

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Typically they're talking about your driver swing speed.

The slower your swing speed the softer the ball you should play.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Just wondering when a particular ball is supposed to be good for swing speeds under 90mph (for example) does this mean iron swing speed or driver swing speed?

I recently tried out a lot of clubs and I was seeing about a 15mph difference between my iron swing speed and my driver swing speed...

Thanks!
Agree.

The context is typically distance, and thus more for stretching out the upper long clubs, not so much the point for irons that are more for gapping distances.

Consider your longest yard shot off the ground with a club you could use from all fairway lies. How many strokes with that club would it take for you to cover your course that is say between 6800-7200 yards? 32-36 of 72 par strokes? Thats the strokes that have a concern with distance.

OP
P

PeterMan

Jun 21, 2006
ok, so the way I understand what you say is that I would be better off matching my ball to my iron swing speed?

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
ok, so the way I understand what you say is that I would be better off matching my ball to my iron swing speed?
Yes If you also like it with driver for distance purposes.

Then there is short game. Spin and such.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
It's all about putter head speed.
I was always told an arc putting stroke required a softer compression ball than a SBST stroke. One might e-mail Dave Pelz and ask if there is scientific data supporting the ball compression/putting stroke theory. Or... we can just ask Tricky!!!!

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Who needs science anyway? I personally would like to see all PGA officials replaced with tribal witchdoctors in full costume. That would spice things up, and get the game off the supertight tracks.

🔥 Latest posts