• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Balls

Bubble Head

Oct 14, 2006
Reading Wishon's "Search for the Perfect Golf Club" changed the way I looked at and shopped for clubs. Is there anything out there that does a nice job of doing the same thing for golf balls?

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I'm of the attitude, excluding competitive play, you should be able to play any ball competantly. In other words, the difference between a top tier ball and a cheap one should be no more than one or two strokes.

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006
Is there anything out there that does a nice job of doing the same thing for golf balls?

Just find a local range (usually it''l be the worst maintained one in the area) that uses 'recovered' and lake balls rather than proper range balls, and you'll get to try dozens of different brands out.

The two times I've found a range like this I've had a blast - found some real gems in there like Nike One Golds, old balata Titleists (lots of fun hitting them with my spin-milled Vokey!), and dozens of Ultras, Pinnacles and Top Flites. Surprising how nice some of the balls my snobbery would ever let me use felt, to be honest...

OP
Bubble Head

Bubble Head

Oct 14, 2006
I know that they feel and perform differently. I want to know why. I can stop Nike Powersofts in half the roll out as my Pinnacles. Why is that?

swartzd

Nov 29, 2006
Yeah, well try the new Wilson 50/50 and then tell me how many strokes you lose!! :D
Do you find them particularly short? I've played them a little and didn't notice that but did note (as expected) that they don't spin too well around the greens.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Do you find them particularly short? I've played them a little and didn't notice that but did note (as expected) that they don't spin too well around the greens.

swartzd

Found them extemely short... :D

🔥 Latest posts

Members online