• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Bay Area golf

cabinessence

Never Say Die
Jul 28, 2005
I'm pretty new to the area and have only played at Harding Park and Crystal Springs (my friend was a pro there, played for free -- unfortunately he moved). Where should I try next? I'm not one of these people who wants to play new courses just for shits and giggles, if Harding is the best available $60 then I'm content just playing there over and over again.

And anyone want to take me to Olympic or SFGC? :laugh:

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
I'm pretty new to the area and have only played at Harding Park and Crystal Springs (my friend was a pro there, played for free -- unfortunately he moved). Where should I try next? I'm not one of these people who wants to play new courses just for shits and giggles, if Harding is the best available $60 then I'm content just playing there over and over again.

And anyone want to take me to Olympic or SFGC? :laugh:

Harding Park for $60 is going to be very hard to beat. If you're a NCGA member then the driver to Poppy Ridge in Livermore is very much worth it. Great set of 9s and NCGA members get SF city resident at HP type discounts.

I'm not familiar with the courses on the penninsula as there are plenty of courses down here in the Silicon Valley. I have alwas wanted to get up to Crystal Springs although that place looks super narrow.

SplooGe

Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2007
How far is SJ from Pleasanton? I should be there visiting my aunt for a few days over the summer.

OP
cabinessence

cabinessence

Never Say Die
Jul 28, 2005
Crystal Springs is funnish -- play is slow and the course can seem gimmicky at times, but there are some very solid holes and good views. I've heard about Poppy Hills, not an NCGA member yet but hopefully soon.

sidewinder

Feb 8, 2007
Cinnabar in San Jose (south) has the best trio of nine hole courses in the area. Between Cinnabar and San Juan Oaks, I see no reason to head north of Coyote Valley...

S-

SplooGe

Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2007
I played Hunter Ranch a few weeks back and got killed because I didn't see the yardage book until the turn. Local knowledge definitely a necessity there.

OP
cabinessence

cabinessence

Never Say Die
Jul 28, 2005
3 and a half hours is a long way! Hunter Ranch sounds great though.

SplooGe

Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2007
Beautiful course and played tough the day we were there.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
How far is SJ from Pleasanton? I should be there visiting my aunt for a few days over the summer.

Pleasonton is only about 45 minutes from SJ and there are some decent courses in between; drop me a line prior to your trip...

Cinnabar in San Jose (south) has the best trio of nine hole courses in the area. Between Cinnabar and San Juan Oaks, I see no reason to head north of Coyote Valley...

S-

I'll second the Cinnabar Hills vote, however, with caution. If you're having trouble getting off the tee or can't consistently carry 150yds off the tee then this is not a set of nines for you. I know 150yds doesn't sound like much but that is true forced carry and it can be quite visually intimidating. The course and views are absolutely stunning and some of the elevation changes are just fantastic! If you can get out there on a Tuesday or Wednesday before 9am you pay only like $55 w/cart (you NEED a cart for this course).

OP
cabinessence

cabinessence

Never Say Die
Jul 28, 2005
I played Presidio for the first time the other day. Got there at 5 pm or so, cost $29 and I walked with two of the worst golfers I've ever seen on a full 18-hole course. The players ahead and behind us must have been horrible as well because there was a consistent one hole gap on both sides.

Nice tricky (but fair) greens, pretty short, I didn't get through the whole back nine but it seemed a little more difficult. #13 was a real WTF hole. The wind was incredible in spots, it almost knocked me over a couple times while putting and my drive on #1 went 210 yards. Obviously the course doesn't compare to Harding but it's closer to me so I'll be back to see how it plays on a weekend.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
I played Presidio for the first time the other day. Got there at 5 pm or so, cost $29 and I walked with two of the worst golfers I've ever seen on a full 18-hole course. The players ahead and behind us must have been horrible as well because there was a consistent one hole gap on both sides.

Nice tricky (but fair) greens, pretty short, I didn't get through the whole back nine but it seemed a little more difficult. #13 was a real WTF hole. The wind was incredible in spots, it almost knocked me over a couple times while putting and my drive on #1 went 210 yards. Obviously the course doesn't compare to Harding but it's closer to me so I'll be back to see how it plays on a weekend.

I'd be interested in a full course review. Everyone I talk to down here in the south bay tells me that the Presidio isn't worth the drive, yet, I still have the urge to make the treck one of these days...

OP
cabinessence

cabinessence

Never Say Die
Jul 28, 2005
Well I just made a tee time at golfnow for Trilogy Valley in Rio Vista. No one better tell me it sucks now! :) But hey, if it does, lots of wine out there ;)

Members online

No members online now.