• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

BBC Sport: 'Europe Thrash US to Retain Solheim Cup'

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
United States United States

Caroline Hedwall (lpga.com)​
I COULDN'T WATCH THE FINAL DAY of the 2013 Solheim Cup. Our cable was out, so I periodically checked the status of the matches online.

With Europe building a five-point lead, it was more or less over on Saturday night. A historic U.S. rally was not to be. Instead, it was a historic European victory, an 18-10 slaughter, Europe's first win on U.S. soil.

The coverage I've read includes verbs like "thrash" and "thump." Understandably so. The American women were routed.

BBC Sport reported:
As well as a first win on foreign soil, it was the first time Europe have retained the trophy since the competition was first played in 1990.
Swede [Caroline] Hedwall, so impressive in the 2011 victory at Killeen Castle in Ireland, became the first player in the history of the trophy to win all five of her matches when she beat Michelle Wie with a birdie on the 18th to give Europe an unassailable 14-7 lead.
[Catriona] Matthew secured a par on the 18th to tie her match with Gerina Piller to earn an outright win.
She told Sky Sports: "I was shaking. My knees were shaking. I knew if I got a half we would win it outright.
"It beats [winning the Open in 2009]. Any time you can celebrate with your 11 team-mates it makes it more exciting, more fun."​
More entertaining are the article comments at BBC Sport. A sampling:

richakn: "It's the first time I've watched women's golf and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Great skill level, passion and drama. Nice to see the Americans sulking and moaning when beaten, just like the men's game. It would however be nice if the American fans could think up something other than the monotonous 'USA' chants every 2 minutes.....my wife is still convinced I'm watching for the outfits."

Peter Moran: "The European team were fantastic; great swings, loads of skill and nerves of steel. Congrats to all of them, it was great entertainment watching them thrash the Americans."

bigbird6160: "Well done ladies. That showed the yanks. Better in both men's and women's golf."

Source: BBC Sport: 'Europe Thrash US to Retain Solheim Cup'

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
That's the picture they went with? smh

Hopefully she didn't monster her caddy too much when giving him a bear hug ...

astmedia.startribune.com_images_491_328_21gal_20SolheimCup081813.jpg

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
That's the picture they went with? smh

At least she shaved before having the photo taken!!! Well, at least her face. :eek:

Hey, the Hedwall/Wie match was fun to watch. They took it to the 18th hole. Hedwall stuck one within about 5 FT of the pin. Wie had about a 15 footer to keep the match alive.
As far as the headline... Europe DID kick the U.S. Team's butts!!!!

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online