• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Beat Dad...Kinda Sad

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I pretty well put a whooping on pops today but he gave me a run on the back 9. I had him by 6 after the front then I let things fall apart a bit. The 11th has two large pines on either side of the fairway at the bottom of a gully. A 250-260yd. shot is enough to run it down there and a 90-120yd. shot to the green. I hit the pine on the left on one hope and it stayed in there. I knocked out and then chunked my 3rd, a SW. Then on the 12th I hit the straightest bomb ever on that hole and then chunk another SW. It was quite sickening and dad was really just a par machine through to the 16th. I thought I had him for sure when I hit the GIR with a near perfect 5iron from the 17th fairway.... then I 3putted it. Then on the 18th poor dad ran out of luck. He pulled the crap out of his tee shot on the 138 yd. par 3. The wind was swirling so I figured a PW from back in the stance would get there, flew it slightly right but chipped to 5ft. and drained it. Dad had a nice chip over the trap to about 6 ft. and then 3 putted. :eek: I ended up taking him by 4strokes after my horrid back 9. I should have told him he needed to 2 putt for a 89. I think it's come time that I may have to give him some strokes, I just know he won't want them. He used to beat me every time but now I've pretty much got it on him in every aspect of the game.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
He used to beat me every time but now I've pretty much got it on him in every aspect of the game.

Thats is so great that you get to play with your dad. I'm really envious.

I have seen some of the pros talk about the first time they ever beat their dads, and to a man, they were very emotional about it.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
My dad only had an interest in tinkering with his cars. Didn't hunt, fish, play any sports (including golf) so had nothing in common with him. I really am jealous of you guys that can do that stuff with your dad's. Do it as often as you can because some day your dad will be gone and you'll need those memories to fall back on!!

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast

Deep in thought
Sep 6, 2005
Enjoy this time you get to play with your father. My father had golfed some, although I don't think he ever golfed seriously, and by the time I got snookered by a friend into using my dad's starter set to play some back in my early 20's, my father wasn't golfing anymore. Now I sometimes wish that the two of us could have had a couple of rounds played together.

It was a couple of years after the death of my father, along with my golfing friend moving off to New Hampshire, that I just stopped playing the game. Right now it's very much a solo endeavor for me, I sometimes enjoy the people I get to meet when I walk on as a single, but I don't have a close friend or a family member who golfs with me.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I think what makes me kind of sad is knowing that he's gettting older. I do enjoy every round I play with him enormously. He was telling me yesterday that my stepmom joined a gym. He's trying to cut a deal with her so that if she goes 3 times a week, he gets to play 3 times a week for exercise. :) He's like me or vice versa, very competitive, I know the fact he's been taking worse and worse beatings has something to do with it. If he does get out that much, and gets some more forgiving irons than the 70's blades he's playing, he'll be a tough match again. It's funny how as soon as he found out I had him by 6 at the turn he goes 1 over on the next 7 holes.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
APowell1990 said:
I pretty much have to shoot around 75 to beat my dad and that is on an average day.

He 3 putted for double on the 18th and had a 48 on the front so not his best ever. I hope he does get better, it would certainly make me better to have to go that low to beat him. He doesn't maintain a handicap or anything but I'm probably a solid 5-6 strokes lower than him.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
SiberianDVM said:
Thats is so great that you get to play with your dad. I'm really envious.

I have seen some of the pros talk about the first time they ever beat their dads, and to a man, they were very emotional about it.

I could kick my dad's ass when I was 12. He's the shits and he knows it.

But, he has a great time when we go out. Wanna see a hip weight shift? This guy looks like he's trying to move the deep freeze.

R35

WMitch6

Jul 24, 2006
Ezra - I would bet that if you asked your dad how he feels about you beating him, he would tell you how proud he is. My kid beat me for the first time when he was 16. One of the most memorable days in my life. It's what dads do.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
WMitch6 said:
Ezra - I would bet that if you asked your dad how he feels about you beating him, he would tell you how proud he is. My kid beat me for the first time when he was 16. One of the most memorable days in my life. It's what dads do.

Probably but it kind of takes some of the thrill out since I'm 30.
icon10.gif
I think that him seeing me go from starting out at a 121 our first time out 2 1/2 yrs. ago to shooting a 79 3 weeks ago has him thinking he should practice a little more. He seems to be taking a new interest and even played alone the other day. He usually only plays with me every couple weeks. I am really looking forward to be able to play with him for the next 20yrs. If I ever get around to reproducing it would also be nice for him to have a grandson to teach the strong grip and huge backswing to. lol. :)

twogreen

Aug 7, 2006
The only important thing is that you guys get to play together. Neither my dad nor I were golfers when he was alive; but I still have fond memories of the fishing trips we spent together.

My older son is the one that gave me my late interest in this crazy game, so I make it a point to golf with him whenever possible.

My younger son isn't into golf so we spend our weekends at a nearby 1/4 mile dragstrip racing my GTO.

It's all quality time that could never be recovered if we missed out on it now.

twogreen

Aug 7, 2006
Slingblade61 said:
Pontiac, original?

Pics please? :)
Not one of the originals. It is the 2005 Pontiac GTO. Built in Aussieland and known as the Holden Monaro over there.
ai43.photobucket.com_albums_e364_silvergto_GTOBurnoutforsigValdosta.jpg

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
My dad didn't play golf until he actually owned a golf course and HAD to play in a tournament there. However, he is an incredible basketball player and I know the day that I beat him in one-on-one was a glorious day for me. My dad wasn't the let-you-win-so-you-feel-good type, so when I won, I knew I beat him fair and square. Sounds like your dad is the same Ezra, take pride and wait for the day when the tables are turned. By the way my 2 yr. old swings his clubs - and by the way I swing mine - he'll be beating me when he's 10, and I can't wait. He'll know that I'm not going down without a good fight though - it will be fair and square.

🔥 Latest posts