• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Beat Dad...Kinda Sad

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
I never really played much with my Dad, as I didn't pick up the game with any seriousness until my late 30s.

Like, 38.

A few driving range trips when I was a kid, and then a few in my teens. Fishing was more our speed.

However, we still play once or twice a year on a small executive course on the Outer Banks when we all go down for summer vacation.

This year was really kinda special. He's 80 now, and playing with him is very much like playing with Mr. Haversham from Caddy Shack.

You remember, "That was a peach, hon!"

He just has no turn. I mean none. His cartilage is all melting away, and he is just stiffening right up.

And I remember when he could belt the ball pretty good.

So anyway, we get to the 5th hole on this little course, which is a par 4 with a water hazard right in front of the green, like 200 out. And you have to play over a set of low scrub pines, which makes the tee shot blind. My dad hits a driver, and punches it out maybe 100, 120 yards.

Did I mention that he's 80?

His second shot he punches forward again, right out to the lip of the hazard. Maybe 75 yards to the stick.

He pulls out his pitching wedge, and sets up right on the edge of the water. He takes a deep breath, makes a turn--a beautiful turn--a work of art for an 80 year old--and that ball flew on a perfect trajectory, right at the pin. Landed like the proverbial "butterfly with sore feet," 9 inches from the cup.

He was a kid again, if for only a moment. Grinning ear to ear. The Tiger pump. The rest of us gave him a standing ovation.

There are times when I love this game. That was one of them.

BTW, we made him make the putt.

I loved THAT part, too. ;)

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Great to hear all the dad stories. I played with him this evening again. I finally got him to use the Wilson Progressive set I got for him. He was hitting the long irons very well but seems to need some adjustment in the short irons. Anyway, I decided to screw around and take driver off every par 4 on the front. I ended up shooting a 48 and he had me by 4 after the 8th. I parred the par 5 9th with a tap in and he hit it in the hazard and made a 9. We came down to the final par 3, me up one and it was getting very dark. He hit into the hazard and I let a gap wedge ride the wind. I never saw it land but heard the distinct sound of it hitting the large rock to the back left of the green. I couldn't find it so we agreed to call it a draw. He's really getting into this though, he played twice last week by himself. He's been nailing his driver 250-260 dead up the middle, god forbid he ever learns to chip and putt. :) Speaking of putting, I 3 putted a gir 4 times, just sickening.

emc

What would the Joker do?
Feb 4, 2006
I'm the same as bames when playing with my dad. I have to step on his throat and watch him bleed to win, but afterwards we enjoy a sit-down and going over the round, like his '4 iron from a zipcode right to 6 feet'! It's great while it lasts

Lorax

Jun 23, 2006
My dad and I took up golf together but hten shortly thereafter he moved to Tennessee. I'm still in MA. We've gotten in a few rounds together but next week I fly down to visit. He and my stepmom recently moved to a house on a Golf Course. We're gonna play all weekend. I was excited before I read all these posts, you guys got me wanting to leave now. :)

Members online