• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Beaten and Battered Clubs

thegolfclubdoc

Nov 9, 2018
Country
United States United States
Does cosmetics matter to you? I have an Acushnet Bullseye putter that's nicked up. But I don't care because I love the thing. Do looks matter to anyone else when it comes to golf clubs?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
I like my clubs like my whisky and my hot rods. Neat and aged gracefully. A classic club showing its age, I’m all for, but signs of abuse I can’t stand!!

OP
thegolfclubdoc

thegolfclubdoc

Nov 9, 2018
Country
What would you think about this putter and it's condition?
e9467aef6def1998caef72d9b9f9bcc9.jpg
4f44ec50ca9d1705afe98ad234aea265.jpg
93eaede748536cf27530b8caf90e97cc.jpg
99bccafafc33acddd727941dad3692b1.jpg

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
I have the flange model of the same putter, it is showing it's age as well. Doesn't matter in the least, all that matters is are you sinking putts with it.

OP
thegolfclubdoc

thegolfclubdoc

Nov 9, 2018
Country
I have the flange model of the same putter, it is showing it's age as well. Doesn't matter in the least, all that matters is are you sinking putts with it.
For some, the looks and condition matter.

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
What would you think about this putter and it's condition?
e9467aef6def1998caef72d9b9f9bcc9.jpg
4f44ec50ca9d1705afe98ad234aea265.jpg
93eaede748536cf27530b8caf90e97cc.jpg
99bccafafc33acddd727941dad3692b1.jpg

I’d say that’s a classic showing its age very well!! And like mentioned already, are you making putts with it? Cause that’s what matters!!

I’m a big fan of clean clubs... A little warm soapy water, a scrub brush and some of that good whisky... Time well wasted!

Last edited:

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I like my clubs like my whisky and my hot rods. Neat and aged gracefully. A classic club showing its age, I’m all for, but signs of abuse I can’t stand!!
Properly cared for, golf clubs will show some wear. That's merely a display of the experience the clubs have garnered from round after round. And... as said above... I cannot understand folks who abuse their clubs. Banging a club into the ground. Throwing their clubs. Banging them into the bag where they are either dinged or ding another club. Inexcusable!!!

The Bullseye is beautiful. Those mars are the way of the putter expressing years of performing the job it was designed to do. At a few weeks short of 74 years old... the years have left more than one mark on this old body. I'm still not ready for them to toss me into a dumpster because of those marks. Neither should the Bullseye be discredited for its scars.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
A fellow joined us for Thursday's round that plays occasionally with us. He doesn't like getting up as early as we play, but sometimes will. Pretty good stick. He had played a mallet putter for as long as I remember. As we were walking off the #1 green on Thursday, I noticed his putter from a distance. "Is that a My Echo putter?" He shook his head and replied... "How the heck did you know that was a My Echo from clear across the green?" Told him I had a Ping My Echo at home. He said he had never seen another one on the course. Yet, I knew what a 30 years old putter was from quite a ways away. So... regripped my old Ping My Echo yesterday and it will be in the back tomorrow.
It ain't shiny. It ain't purty. It ain't seen on Tour. It ain't an Odyssey or a Cameron or a Bettinardi. So what? It used to make lots of putts and I still believe it has a few left in it.

OP
thegolfclubdoc

thegolfclubdoc

Nov 9, 2018
Country
A fellow joined us for Thursday's round that plays occasionally with us. He doesn't like getting up as early as we play, but sometimes will. Pretty good stick. He had played a mallet putter for as long as I remember. As we were walking off the #1 green on Thursday, I noticed his putter from a distance. "Is that a My Echo putter?" He shook his head and replied... "How the heck did you know that was a My Echo from clear across the green?" Told him I had a Ping My Echo at home. He said he had never seen another one on the course. Yet, I knew what a 30 years old putter was from quite a ways away. So... regripped my old Ping My Echo yesterday and it will be in the back tomorrow.
It ain't shiny. It ain't purty. It ain't seen on Tour. It ain't an Odyssey or a Cameron or a Bettinardi. So what? It used to make lots of putts and I still believe it has a few left in it.
Yeah that putter has a very distinctive look to it. I also believe that vintage Ping equipment can stand the test if time better than most equipment. Largely in part to the fact that they look so industrial. So they aren't really pretty to begin with. So if they are beaten up no one would care much. But maybe that's how it is supposed to be.

🔥 Latest posts