• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Been Golfing for a year now how am I doing???

duckdive117

Mar 27, 2008
Well Feb last year my friend and I decided out of the blue to go golfing, his girlfriends dad is a pro at a course here in orlando and let us play free and got us clubs. After 18 holes I was hooked Bought my own clubs a week later and havn't looked back.
the past couple months Iv been keeping very accurate scores counting every penelty and bad shot iv been averaging about 20 over par. I downloaded a golf score tracker and after 4 rounds entered into it handicap is 18.2.
It seeems alot of my higher scores are putting my uncle said I should write a book "birdie to bogey in 3 short putts"

I just kinda wanted to get some feed back Im still new to golf not sure what others shoot and have nothing to compare my progress to.
thanks
Josh Greene

eric89074

Jan 25, 2007
You're almost shooting bogey golf which is pretty damn good considering you've been playing for a year.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I think I hate you. I've been playing for 30 years, and I'm still having trouble breaking 90.

Seriously though, congrats on your progress. Glad you're having fun. That's what it's all about (and the only reason I still play.)

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I know I hate you, just kidding, we have almost the same handicap. I played years ago and took it back up a little less than a year ago, you are doing great, keep it up.

flomarilius

Nike staffer :)
Jun 19, 2006
grats man hell of a milestone you've hit in a year. One thing that probably comes to the top of my head... Do you spend more time on the range hitting driver than you do with that putter of yours on the practice green? If the answer is yes, those next 10 of those 18 shots on the cap will go down with performance around the green. Never leave a putt short unless its on purpose on a lag to get an uphill putt but thats a different story. Anywho, remember practice the short game and you'll be fine.

Calhoun

Jul 30, 2007
Sounds like we are on the same track. I played 5 or 10 times a year in highschool and college. I did good if I broke 100. it was mostly to spend time with my dad, he plays alot. I bought a house on a course last December and started playing in April. I got hooked quick and started playing a 6-9 of holes almost every night after work during the summer. Now with a 2 1/2 yr old and a 4 month old it is hard to play every night but I get out a couple of times a week. I am now down to 17. I just need to get more consistent with my short game and my driver. Good Luck.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Just wait til ya get better, then have an off day.

Then you'll get admittance into the adult section and can read my book:

Eagle to bogey in 3 putts and a dropped putter that hit your ball:laugh:

DaGris

Bears fan in Georgia
Dec 8, 2007
If you are shooting boogie golf, and only been playing a year? you're doing pretty damn good. I've been playing 6 years and shoot boogie golf most of the time......a few mid 80's once in a while, but usually boogie golf.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
You're doing very well! I've been playing over 40 years and I've worked (and ho'ed) my butt off to get to a 12 cap. :)

Release

Mar 2, 2008
Are you sure it's not off the par 3 courses?
I'm just kidding, you did well for the amount of time you had played.
Don't put a limit on yourself and we'll see how low you could go, it took me several year (almost 3 )to go boogie golf.
I believe you have to turn in at least 20 qualified rounds to have a handicap index.
Great job, now show your uncle that you could close the deal and get some birdies.

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
For playing for 1 year, an 18 handicap is excellent. just keep up the hard work, but remember that golf is supposed to be fun

🔥 Latest posts