• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Beer and Golf. Two things that mix on occasion

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
What a way to create my first thread. Only sad if it becomes a "Sticky" at some point :)

I am one that likes to try different beers. Although I drink Yuengling Lager on the course alot, because it is readily available and it is my idea of a "Light" beer and my wifes idea of a "Dark" beer. One of few that we both like.

What are some that you like to drink that are different. One of my favorites is Spaten Oktoberfest, but since it is now December and I have finished my supply for the year, it is time to look for others. While in Arizona, I was happy to find Fat Tire, which is not available out here. Only in KS, CO and AZ have I found this beer. The Cart girl on one of the courses mentioned Anchor Steam, as they did not have Fat Tire. Great beer, I might add.

From the Northeast I would recommend Lake Placid's UBu Ale, which is darker in clarity and similar to a Porter. Dog fish head is one I recently tried and is more of an IPA with a Grapefruit taste. Stoudts is good if you can find it out side of Southeast PA. My old reliable is Sierra Nevada, probably my favorite that I can find Nationwide.

So let's hear it, what can I try when out and about??

My story about beer and golf is when I went to Myrtle Beach. I drove all over creation asking if they carried any non-domestic or Import beers. The people looked at me like I had 3 heads, then asked me what I meant. I asked if they had any beer that didn't taste like river water. Needless to say, after driving around for about an hour, I stumbled upon Kroger, which had New Castle, which I could live with for my golf Trip

EDSGolf

Aug 24, 2005
Have you ever tried this certain beer, I forgot the name.....oh wait, you'll love it.....it's Budweiser :beach3:

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
I wish you had started this thread about 3 hours earlier.

I just bought the mechanics that work on our cars a case of beer because they're pretty damn good to us and I'd like that to continue, and seeing as I pretty much despise beer, had no idea what to buy, so I picked up the Rickard's mixed box. I hope it doesn't suck.

I've only just started working on enjoying wine...beer is still a long shot for me.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Rickards....great beer. Mechanics, hey? Honda Civic if I remember correctly, that might work out. Stereotypically, Rickards is considered a more 'fashionable" beer, not what one would "swill" as an auto mechanic....fat guy, hairy arms, greasy, ect.....

Tasty as all hell tho. :D

Sleemans is always a winner. It's more of a summer beer tho. There are so many micro brewery's around, it's tough to nail down any that anyone else would know.

Traditional Ale by Big Rock
Alexander Keith's is a winner, although sort of a woman beer....no offense to any ladies, or VTDivot...
Kold is another good brew...
Bohemian, if you're old skool...and white trash...
Heineken on tap is the shiz. I could chug that till I puked....and I have!
I had a Sam Adams in Minneapolis once waiting for the start of a Twins/Sox game. It then reminded me that American beer tastes like water...

Anyways, beer is good.

R35

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Silver said:
I've only just started working on enjoying wine...beer is still a long shot for me.
Wine is a good topic as well, although I can't picture drinking it on the course. Although I have had Mimosas on the course early in the morning. Probably one of the best Flop shots I ever had. Shot a cork from the tee box on 12 over the back greenside bunker on 11 to within a foot of the hole. Felt so bad I had to run down and grab the cork so it wouldn't interfere with the next person hitting into the green.

I like mostly red wine. I like mainly Cabernet's. Stags Leap and Duckhorn are two of my favorites. I like mainly French or Italian wine. Although I have no problem with spending good money on wine, I have found some fairly inexpensive ones that are decent. Luna Di Luna, and Bardalino are fairly decent. Greg Norman (woo hoo a golfer) and Francis Ford Copola are good as well. They had a write-up in the last Golf Magazine about wine, Ernie Els had the top one I believe, at about $80 a bottle, all of the rest were under $20.

I have even found a decent box wine that is good if you drink a glass at a time, it is French ~ Le Tresor. Weigh in at a meager $26 for 5 liters. There are alot of winerys in the area that I frequently buy from.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Rockford35 said:
Alexander Keith's is a winner, although sort of a woman beer.......

Don't be saying that shit in the Maritimes, you'll get "you're arse kicked" ;)

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
VtDivot said:
Don't be saying that shit in the Maritimes, you'll get "you're arse kicked" ;)

Ya, I've seen the commercials....lol.

R35

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
I can't believe that I bought an electric golf bag trolley that doesn't have a beverage holder. What was I thinking?

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
You can find coolers that fit in the side pocket and use blue ice, I prefer these because alot of places don't allow coolers.

They have them at Target for around $7

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country

Big Brother Dunk

Aug 29, 2005
Rockford35 said:
...Traditional Ale by Big Rock

...Alexander Keith's is a winner, although sort of a woman beer....no offense to any ladies, or VTDivot...

...Bohemian, if you're old skool...and white trash...

...Anyways, beer is good.

R35

Rock, I agree about Trad (a great beer) but I don't agree with you about Alexander Keith's. It's NOT a woman's beer. It's a terrific IPA.

And I cut my teeth on Bohemian. I love that brew. It's a great session beer. In fact, I had 13 of them on Sunday night.
awww.websmileys.com_sm_drink_trink22.gif

But the bottom line is, like you say, beer is good.:D

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
So, it would appear that Alexander Keith's will be what I try to find next, after I finish the Anchor Porter I bought for the weekend.

If the local brew house carries it, and indicates that I have to be a woman to buy it, I will simply wear a Kilt, and wack them with my 4 iron, which I hit like a woman anyways. :)

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
FKA, if you're ever in TX they have Fat Tire here too.

Our best local brewery is Shiner. They have four or five varieties, all good but overall favorite is the Bock. My wife has family in Penn. so I've had Yuengling a few times and it is good. Can't get it here though.

Wine would be wierd on the course and i'm pretty sure my friends would make fun of me anyway. When we were having our Wed. tournys during the summer I did see a guy with one of those big half gallon jugs of margaritas in his cart, & he was riding alone. Gotta little drinkin' problem there mate? Think so.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Big Brother Dunk said:
Rock, I agree about Trad (a great beer) but I don't agree with you about Alexander Keith's. It's NOT a woman's beer. It's a terrific IPA.

And I cut my teeth on Bohemian. I love that brew. It's a great session beer. In fact, I had 13 of them on Sunday night.
awww.websmileys.com_sm_drink_trink22.gif

But the bottom line is, like you say, beer is good.:D

BBD,

I just give VT a hard time cuz he's from out East. You know, from where "that beer" comes from. :D

R35

PS....Boh rules. They were our sponsor beer for our department in University.

🔥 Latest posts