• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Beer and Golf. Two things that mix on occasion

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
Rockford35 said:
There is a super lame ass bar called the Blue Moon in town. It once was called the Texas moon, so from that you can imagine that it obviously sucks donkey.

I wasn't being testy before, just pointing random garbage out.

It's what I do. :)

R35

Hmmm...You too will some day come to The Republic of Texas. We Texicans have long memories.:rolleyes:

But, now that I think about it, we also have Lone Star & Pearl.:(

Sooo...never mind.

Big Brother Dunk

Aug 29, 2005
DaveE said:
...Our best local brewery is Shiner. They have four or five varieties, all good but overall favorite is the Bock...

I was in Houston back in January and had a few Shiner Bocks. Terrific brew!
awww.websmileys.com_sm_drink_trink38.gif

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
I have not had a beer in a long time (well, with one exception, I had a couple of pints of Guiness at Raglan Road the other day on Pleasure Island) as I have mostly been drinking wine over the last 6 to 8 months. If I had to choose one beer to have for the rest of my life it would be Boddingtons Pub Ale from England. It comes in one of those pint cans with a widget in it (similar to the Guiness draft cans.) This has to be one of the best beers in the world. If you ever get a chance to have one, give it a try. During the wine festival at EPCOT last fall we also got to try a Brazilian beer called Brahma. Its a bit pricey, but it is really good. A decent beer with kind of a citrusy taste built in. Both the wife and I liked it alot, which is rare.

Wines? I have got a ton that I could reccomend. Starting with whites, Colombia Winery (Washington State) Cellermaster's Riesling. It can be had for less than $10 a bottle if you shop around and is probably the best wine value that I have found. Next, Columbia Crest Grand Estate Chardonnay also from Wasington State. Very nice chardonnay that is buttery without the stong oaky taste that you find in Napa or Sonoma chardonnays. It too can be had for $15 or less. Up next is Benzinger Pinot Gris (Pinot Grigio with a slightly different name) from Sonoma County, California. Light, refreshing, and can be found for under $15 a bottle.

Getting into reds, King Estate Willamette Valley Pinot Noir (Oregon). What a wonderful red wine that goes with just about anything. Kind of pricey but worth it for under $30 a bottle. I have found several Merlots that I like including Colombia Crest Grand Estate Merlot from Washington State, McWilliams Merlot from Australia, Blackstone Merlot from California, and Rosemont Estate Merlot form Australia. All good and all can be had for under $15 a bottle. Getting into Cabernet, Coppila Black Diamond Claret is really good and can be found for under $15 a bottle. Benziger Cabernet is awesome if you can find it and normally runs between $15-20 a bottle. As an alternative to Cabernet, try some Rioja from Spain. There a few brands that are good, but I like the Montecillo Ciranza. The Ciranza can be had for $10-15 a bottle and the Reserva for under $30 a bottle. I have never sprung for the Reserva as the Ciranza is sooo good. They also make a Rioja thats under the Ciranza level (not labeled Ciranza or Reserva) but I have not tried it. Getting into Shiraz, I normally go for Rosemont Estate Diamond label which I can find a deal on locally for around $10 a bottle.

Gentlemen, want the ultimate first date impression drink? Try and locate a bottle of Banfi Rosa Rogale. It is an Italian sparkling wine (champagne that is not from France) that is a deep shade of pink. I do not know what it is about it, but woman just love it! My wife discovered it at EPCOT in the Itlatian pavillion, and any time we are sitting out there with a glass of it, about 3 to 4 woman come up to ask what it is she is drinking. During the wine festival, it was like a magnet picking up paper clips. If I were a single man again, I would keep this stuff stocked by the case load.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Big Brother Dunk said:
I was in Houston back in January and had a few Shiner Bocks. Terrific brew!
awww.websmileys.com_sm_drink_trink38.gif

If you're ever near the Austin area let me know and we'll knock a few back. What the hell, we can play golf too.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
FKA Pa Jayhawk: How was the Boddingtons this weekend?

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
ualtim said:
FKA Pa Jayhawk: How was the Boddingtons this weekend?
"Was" is the key word. It's gone, so I won't be shipping any down to Orlando.

We had a couple friends over. It was pretty good. I definately like beer with a fuller flavor, which this definately had especially considering it's clarity. Although I am probably a bigger fan of Pale Ales, Stouts, and Ambers and like a more bitter beer, for something with a clarity similar to a lager it is definately high on the list. I notice they had a Stout which I may try at some point. Cost wise, I would probably opt for another english beer in Theakston's Old Peculier once I am in that price range. It has always been one of my favorite beers but I don't buy it to often because of the price, and usually opt for some of the others similar to Sierra Nevada which is my old reliable when I cannot find something new to try.

I also noticed that Guinness has a Smithwick's Irish Ale out that I may need to try sometime.

Thanks, I will not be mounting the rat trap with Boddington's :)

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
FKA Pa Jayhawk said:
"Was" is the key word. It's gone, so I won't be shipping any down to Orlando.

We had a couple friends over. It was pretty good. I definately like beer with a fuller flavor, which this definately had especially considering it's clarity. Although I am probably a bigger fan of Pale Ales, Stouts, and Ambers and like a more bitter beer, for something with a clarity similar to a lager it is definately high on the list. I notice they had a Stout which I may try at some point. Cost wise, I would probably opt for another english beer in Theakston's Old Peculier once I am in that price range. It has always been one of my favorite beers but I don't buy it to often because of the price, and usually opt for some of the others similar to Sierra Nevada which is my old reliable when I cannot find something new to try.

I also noticed that Guinness has a Smithwick's Irish Ale out that I may need to try sometime.

Thanks, I will not be mounting the rat trap with Boddington's :)

Glad you enjoyed it. If you like a bitter beer, I bought a four pack of Tetleys English beer and that was really bitter! (local store ran out of Boddingtons).

I found Boddingtons to the be the ultimate for my taste buds. Like you said a fuller beer with a clarity of a lager. Best of both worlds in my opinion. Of course, I am still into my wines which have been drinking more of in place of beer lately, but I will occasionally opt for a Boddingtons.

🔥 Latest posts